23-Year-Old Briton Shot Dead At Countdown Party On Haad Rin Beach: Koh Phangan

23-year-old Briton shot dead at Countdown party on Haad Rin Beach

Stephen David Ashton, a British tourist, was shot to death on Koh Phangan in Surat Thani after a quarrel with Thai youngsters, police said. /RT @BPbreakingnews

A British tourist was shot dead on the holiday island Koh Phangan after a quarrel with Thai youngsters (Bangkok Post) /RT @RichardBarrow

A 23 year old British man was shot dead at a Countdown party on Haad Rin Beach on Koh Phangan Island. He has been named by police #Thailand /RT @RichardBarrow

Shooting took place at Zoom Bar on Haad Rin Beach, Koh Phangan. The British tourist was staying at Pink Bungalow. Police hunting the shooter /RT @RichardBarrow

Details not known yet. Would seem a series of shots were fired by a drunk Thai youth. One hit the British tourist in his chest, killing him. /RT @RichardBarrow:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The year of Miracle Thailand.

Twice as many gun murders per year than the US and a population a quarter of the size.

I too would be interested to see the figures you cite and their provenance. There's no doubt that reportage of crime against foreigners has always and continues to be suppressed, not only for the obvious reason to protect the tourist industry, but also for deeper, cultural reasons.

• Like 1

Some 10,000 tourists visit that beach during the moon parties, (used to be full moon, but then it was black moon and maybe now the moon is no longer important). There will always be the odd incident when that many essentially drunken party goers get together. It is surprising amazing that not more incidents occur.

The parties bring several million dollars onto the island every month.

This income stream will never be stopped.

• Like 2

Rest in peace young man. Should be a warning for others not to have an argument with locals, as they never fight alone and they loose face.

Even if somebody would beat the shit out of three guys, it wouldn't be over for them. They'll be back.

Another sad fact about this island is that so many foreigners die overdosed on drugs, but Thai authorities don't want to let us know the truth about their incapable system.

Thais fool foreigners, by telling them they'd be cops and some grass could finish their holiday immediately by paying all they've got to guys who're just acting like they were cops. And the real cops know that, get their part of it as well.

It's not the Land of Smiles and never was

. I hope that somebody knew him to inform the authorities. Can't be a good start of a new year for his relatives and friends. I'm sure that Thai media won't report much about it. --wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

Twice as many gun murders per year than the US and a population a quarter of the size.

I too would be interested to see the figures you cite and their provenance. There's no doubt that reportage of crime against foreigners has always and continues to be suppressed, not only for the obvious reason to protect the tourist industry, but also for deeper, cultural reasons.

Good gun death figures on this site. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

• Like 2

according to this tally its twice the amount of deaths so considering Thailand has 1/6th the population then its what 12 times higher rate of gun homicide.

Seems quite high but maybe thats what he was referencing.

http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

This one shows deaths per 100.000 people

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_fir_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop

is this true? i guess you're saying per head of population?just interested,have you got figures and source?

according to this tally its twice the amount of deaths so considering Thailand has 1/6th the population then its what 12 times higher rate of gun homicide.

Seems quite high but maybe thats what he was referencing.

http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

Is good to see a little bit of fact instead of _______

this may be the reference RIP. best to know the laws of the land

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif # 1 sf.gifSouth Africa: 31,918

# 2 co.gifColombia: 21,898

# 3 th.gifThailand: 20,032

# 4 us.gifUnited States: 9,369

# 5 rp.gifPhilippines: 7,708

# 6 mx.gifMexico: 2,606

# 7 lo.gifSlovakia: 2,356

# 8 es.gifEl Salvador: 1,441

# 9 zi.gifZimbabwe: 598

# 10 pe.gifPeru: 442

• Like 2

Some 10,000 tourists visit that beach during the moon parties, (used to be full moon, but then it was black moon and maybe now the moon is no longer important). There will always be the odd incident when that many essentially drunken party goers get together. It is surprising amazing that not more incidents occur.

The parties bring several million dollars onto the island every month.

This income stream will never be stopped.

But only because of the legality of drugs.

Ive been to Haad Rin several times & never felt it was dangerous, but i never let myself get into any bad positions. I stay away from any sign of drugs & am not out at 4am , its a party paradise , no worries.

my condolences to his friends & family especially during the holiday season.

As awful as this news is it comes as no surprise. Haad Rin is a very dangerous place and the numerous crimes go on there are generally unreported by the media as not to stop the tourist baht. I'm actually surprised that this hasn't happened before. Drunk Thai youth cracking onto someones girlfriend no doubt and not being able to take the rejection. That place is a complete dump and all the police care about is framing tourists with drugs. Amazing Thailand indeed.

this may be the reference RIP. best to know the laws of the land

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif # 1 sf.gifSouth Africa: 31,918

# 2 co.gifColombia: 21,898

# 3 th.gifThailand: 20,032

# 4 us.gifUnited States: 9,369

# 5 rp.gifPhilippines: 7,708

# 6 mx.gifMexico: 2,606

# 7 lo.gifSlovakia: 2,356

# 8 es.gifEl Salvador: 1,441

# 9 zi.gifZimbabwe: 598

# 10 pe.gifPeru: 442

from 2002 I believe .........

according to gunpolicy.org, there were just 3,654 total homicides (gun + other) in Thailand in 2010:

2010: 3,6546

No idea which stats are right / wrong mind .............

Edited by pete66