Is It Best To Wait - Microsoft Vista..?

Mumbo Jumbo

well its about time for me to get a new computer, ( in the next few months ) but can wait a bit longer, I am wondering if its worth waiting for the launch of the Microsoft Vista ...? any one know the situation on the launch date...?

... Thanks Mumbo

Can't say when it will be released but a friend bought the Beta Windows Vista and what a great O/S it is going to be he loaded it up on a spare laptop and it ran flawless gonna be a great one.

The last I read was Vista will be available to the public somewhere in the next 8 to 14 months, but traditionally Microsoft as always delayed (postponed) new OS releases. From what I’ve read it’s a revolutionary step forward!

Personally, I'll buy Vista, but until 3 months after the public release to make sure all the bugs are corrected.

Regards,

Edited by Bytes

You can just go and buy a system with 1GB of RAM, DirectX-9 compatible graphics card (basically anything less than 2 years old), SATA HDD and a (preferably) dual-core CPU and you'll be all set for anything Microsoft will throw at you :o

edit: Just saw your post, Bytes...assuming no more slip-ups occur, Vista will be released to manufacturing (i.e. will pop up in the "usual" channels) in late summer (Aug. or so) and will be available legally in boxes in November.

Also, while it will introduce a lot of new features, it's not going to be "revolutionary"-they won't change the file system or switch completely to 64-bit or smthn...it will be worth the upgrade, though.

Edited by Florin

I don't think you need to wait for vista, but you know on computer things as longer as you wait as cheaper everything gets or for the same money the computer will be faster and with more memory.

So as longer you wait as better deal you get....

well its about time for me to get a new computer, ( in the next few months ) but can wait a bit longer, I am wondering if its worth waiting for the launch of the Microsoft Vista ...? any one know the situation on the launch date...?

... Thanks Mumbo

To be fully VISTA compliant right now is impossible, as there's no DX10 (DX-Next / SM4.0) graphics adapters available on the market and also there seems to be a problem with HDCP support, which unfortunately is needed EVERY step of the way - from the graphics adapter to the monitor.

Without it you won't be able to playback any "next gen" video content at full quality.

Read about it here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/window...cp_lcd_roundup/

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

I think the vista is gonna be met with a lot of resistance - as it's gonna be the first OS to fully integrate DRM bottom up, which means that it's gonna make a whole world upgrade monitors and graphics adapters.

And I personally, will not touch Vista until the first service pack have been released.

So don't invest too heavily in either graphics adapter and monitor so the "forced" upgrade later will be less painful (on your wallet).

A dualcore system with at least 1Gb of memory and a fast harddrive is where your money have to be spent.

Happy hunting.

@ Condo_bk - thank you very much - I try my best... The last I've heard about Windows Vista (according to the buffs @ MSDN) is that the release date is gonna be Q4 - 06 / Q1 - 07.

Don't expect Vista to be ripped off the shelves, while it might offer benefits, it most certainly will impose more "limits" - My take is that the biggest competitor to Vista will be Windows XP...

Win XP have evolved to become a pretty solid platform, with the right blend of features, ease of use and still give the user the possibility to get his/her hands "dirty".

Once you guys take the grand step into Vista make sure you get the RIGHT version - for me that will be Windows Vista Ultimate Edition which equals Windows XP Pro.

And on a closing note to all the guys that have "proxy" problems... I think I have a more permanent solution for you that would please most of you (it takes a bit of fiddling - but worth the effort), so you'll never have to rely on those darn free anonymous proxies anylonger - and no, I'm not pimping here - everything needed is free.

Happy hunting...

@ Condo_bk - thank you very much - I try my best... The last I've heard about Windows Vista (according to the buffs @ MSDN) is that the release date is gonna be Q4 - 06 / Q1 - 07.

Don't expect Vista to be ripped off the shelves, while it might offer benefits, it most certainly will impose more "limits" - My take is that the biggest competitor to Vista will be Windows XP...

Win XP have evolved to become a pretty solid platform, with the right blend of features, ease of use and still give the user the possibility to get his/her hands "dirty".

Once you guys take the grand step into Vista make sure you get the RIGHT version - for me that will be Windows Vista Ultimate Edition which equals Windows XP Pro.

I agree, sort of, let me throw a "curve ball" into the discussion: Have you seen the new Mac Mini Core duo? Aside from the integrated 950 VGU, it seems like a nifty little machine. I have both a G4 and a PC, and for video editing, pictures, misic, etc: the Mac is far superior. software wise. It seems that Vista will run on the intel macs so you could have a dual boot system and enjoy both OSX and Vista. I am considering it myself

thanks Guys for the comments, ...ScubaDuc your comment about the apple Mac Mini made me think, i have always thought of may be one day trying an Apple Mac, ive looked at the new i Mac G 5. intel ( 17 inch ) and it looks the business, any one got this model ...?

thanks......... Mumbo

hi'

for vista, I would wait a good 6 months :o

and for Mac I would rather prefer Linux instead :D

just for one reason, with Linux you aren't locked by hardware and can perform some improvment, not only ram :D

francois

thanks Guys for the comments, ...ScubaDuc your comment about the apple Mac Mini made me think, i have always thought of may be one day trying an Apple Mac, ive looked at the new i Mac G 5. intel ( 17 inch ) and it looks the business, any one got this model ...?

thanks......... Mumbo

I am personally a bit weary of "all in ones" like the iMac. They are really good machines but if the LCD develops a problem u are ....: SO, u have to get Applecare which adds to the cost. The Mini, on the other hand, can be bought anywhere an "imported" in the backpack... :o

Currently, XP does not load on MacIntels but Vista may as it recognises the new bios-chip (sort of an oversempification...but there is no guarantee until its here) However, OSX is wonderful and you really don't need to spend money on Vista. In fact, Vista will be in many way similar to OSX.."Same-Same but Different" :D

The beauty about the iLife software is that it is really all integrated, so you can take a song from iTune and drag it into a movie, without having to go through all sorts of conversions to import files...That's the part I really like

Guest endure

thanks......... Mumbo

I am personally a bit weary of "all in ones" like the iMac. They are really good machines but if the LCD develops a problem u are ....: SO, u have to get Applecare which adds to the cost. The Mini, on the other hand, can be bought anywhere an "imported" in the backpack... :o

I've always been a PC person but I quite fancy a MiniMac. Problem is that the Intel version looks to be a little expensive:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29969

thanks......... Mumbo

I've always been a PC person but I quite fancy a MiniMac. Problem is that the Intel version looks to be a little expensive:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29969

Yes, I agree it is a bit expensive. However, I bet the price will drop to the original 499 and 599 in about six months as the new intel chips (Merom) will be used for laptops. The Merom chip is a low power processor which is not needed in plugged in units anyway... WHat the article didn't tell you, is that they have added frontrow to the mini ( a remote control) and bojeur, to stream docs from other computers in the network

I see it as follow:

The cheapest dull costs 360 Euro here with no software, remote control, etc and a celeron D

Surely a dual core Yonah is worth 100 Eurobucks more, add the remote and you are at 500€ bucks

iLife is an excellent software suite and I would have to get adobe premiere/photoshop elements to be able to edit movies decently: That's another €150 bucks but it still does not cover all i-life applications: add another 50 bucks for an optical audio in/out: ANd we are at €700 bucks. that leaves €100 bucks for the "geek" factor: Although, I think you get it back when it can gracefully end its life by your TV set instead of begging someone to take it like outaded PCs

The deal breaker is having to spend an extra 100 bucks to upgrade the memory to 1Gb otherwise, you'd be sorry

I hace both an old G4 and a laptop on Win XP and a desktop on 2Kpro. For movies, pictures, music, etc. The mac is the way to go. If you just wanna run office, forget it: get a cheap dell and save your money

Edited by ScubaDuc