Tesco Is Terrible,never Full Shelves

thenervoussurgeon

We have done our shopping at Tesco for years here in Pattaya ,but to be honest the N Pattaya one especially has been going down and down ,the shelves are never full ,products are never in stock especially import stuff ,i do realize much has to come from abroad ,but they seem to order enough to last a week and then you have to wait weeks untill there is another delivery ,why not order more? and dont get me started on their fresh fruit and veg ,sorry Tesco but your off our shopping list from now on.

Off topic but I was in Tescos a while back and took a photo of one of the box wines, to post on a TV wine thread. A staff lady comes running over saying "Can not, can not can not!" I was giving them some free advertisng but to her thinking disclosing that Tescos sold wine was some big secret.

Thai logic- I'll never understand, 555 :)

Off topic but I was in Tescos a while back and took a photo of one of the box wines, to post on a TV wine thread. A staff lady comes running over saying "Can not, can not can not!" I was giving them some free advertisng but to her thinking disclosing that Tescos sold wine was some big secret.

Thai logic- I'll never understand, 555 smile.png

Logic hell, she or any retailer does not want someone posting their prices , so your offer of "free" advertising doesn't cut it, here or anywhere else for that matter

Its the same in 7/11...no helmets, no smoking, no dogs and no cameras

I gave up on Tesco very early. It shares its name with a great supermarket in the UK but that seems to be about it. I guess they are more interested in the Thai market as their choice of imported foods seems random at best. Big C offers a better selection but my preference these days is the smaller supermarket in Jomtien which offers a much wider range of imported goods and the prices are not much different. My bulk purchases come from Makro.

Logic hell, she or any retailer does not want someone posting their prices , so your offer of "free" advertising doesn't cut it, here or anywhere else for that matter

I wasn't trying to post pricing info- if I wanted to do that I would simply photo graph the sales receipt. It is a Thai thing; the other day I was in Tops on Pattaya Klang and a guy had his parrot perched on his shopping cart. Two guys standing behind thought it was funny and took a photo. The security guard became agressive and demanded that the photo be deleted.

But I'm wasting my breath, expressing another point of view :)

How was security or anyone in the store supposed to know what your reason for taking pictures was.

And your expressing another point of view is negaged since you were commenting on Thai logic and several members here have told you that it has nothing to do with Thai logic but is the rule in most stores

If you want to post in open forums I would suggest that you thicken your skin

Edited by Langsuan Man

Not being able to take photos in stores is common all over Asia - not just Thailand. Competitors copy the layouts.

Sam Walton of Walmart fame tells a story about how he got caught in a competitors store taking notes and speaking into a dicta-phone. The note book and device were confiscated, and he received them back with a note from the CEO of the competitor a few days later saying that he knew he was out of order doing that, but in this case he would overlook it.

The only reason why Sam was in their doing that was to get a competitive advantage, companies have a right to defend themselves. I understand why Lancelot would be annoyed at being stopped, however he has happened by chance across a daily war fought between the supermarkets across the world, competitors in checking each other out.

• Like 1

Not being able to take photos in stores is common all over Asia - not just Thailand. Competitors copy the layouts.

It is also very common in the west as well and often partly for the same reason as Ulysses G mentions. When I used to call on stores for a living I always asked first otherwise you can get some very negative reactions as other posters have mentioned.

The security guard would only be doing what he was told to do especially in Asia.

Have you ever seen the managers of a Tesco stores,just simple walking around, taking mental notes on how he could improve the running of the store?, I've certainly never seen one,they seem to spend all their time playing at being a VIP in their office. Likewise Thursday, Tesco opened their newest store in Nong Bua Lampo,opening ceremony started at 8 in the morning,plenty of bigwigs from the head office(no farangs)local government officials etc,all praising each other,this went on for nearly two hours,then they packed up,and away they went,don't think they even looked around the store.

We have done our shopping at Tesco for years here in Pattaya ,but to be honest the N Pattaya one especially has been going down and down ,the shelves are never full ,products are never in stock especially import stuff ,i do realize much has to come from abroad ,but they seem to order enough to last a week and then you have to wait weeks untill there is another delivery ,why not order more? and dont get me started on their fresh fruit and veg ,sorry Tesco but your off our shopping list from now on.

hi why dont you email the head office. they will hopefully use your feedback.

I take it that you couldn't find the sarcasm emoticon hence it wasn't added to your post.

• Like 1

I always find that south Pattaya Tesco is the busiest of all the large supermarkets hence why they

probably can't keep up with demand.

Being the busiest also tells us something.

Interesting that it is the busiest. It's the closest to my home but I almost never use it, poor selection of products to my mind. I use most of the other supermarkets in town but find Tesco particularly unattractive.

Edited by gmac

I take it that you couldn't find the sarcasm emoticon hence it wasn't added to your post.

Lotus probably wont be very interested but I'm pretty sure that Tesco UK would be.

The empty shelve syndrome is something every store in Thailand suffers from these days. The shop owners have the luxury that Thai people have the mai pen rai attitude, hence they don't give a fck about.

I have discussed this to lenght with a major supplier to Global house. He has a complete department at every Global house branch only for his products, yet half of the shelves are empty. When you would ask for a missing product they would look in the computer base and tell you there were 128 pieces in stock, yet they couldn't find any or if you were lucky they could locate some an hour later somewhere in a box hidden at the other side of the store.How this is possible is a question to me since every item you buy is scanned. Either people are stealing like rats or the stock management program is worthless, I think it's the latter.

I'm sure stores like Big C, Tesco, Global House or name any must be losing massive amounts of money on a daily base because of this.But they maybe don't care becasue they are spoiled because they have semi monopoly and are making money like dirtr anyway.

I posted a few months ago that one of the big wigs of big c extra visited the shop and went furious when he saw all the empty shelves while all the products were in the Bangkok warehouses waiting to be ordered.Then things changed within a few days.

That was about 2 months ago, I challenge you to go take a look at that shop today smile.png

Edited by jbrain

Lotus probably wont be very interested but I'm pretty sure that Tesco UK would be.

You realise that the big wigs at Tesco bangkok are all foreigners ?

You will have to forgive Tesco,they are going through a rough trading year 2012,according to the British news media: they only made £1.3 Billion profit for the year. whistling.gif

Edited by MAJIC

If you want to take a picture of anything, just have someone "pose" for a pic (of course making the Japanese V sign their fingers) and instead aim for the object you want to take a picture of. EASY

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

And yet they will spend millions on TV, Radio and Newspaper advertising telling othrs what their prices are.

Chris

The empty shelve syndrome is something every store in Thailand suffers from these days. The shop owners have the luxury that Thai people have the mai pen rai attitude, hence they don't give a fck about.

I have discussed this to lenght with a major supplier to Global house. He has a complete department at every Global house branch only for his products, yet half of the shelves are empty. When you would ask for a missing product they would look in the computer base and tell you there were 128 pieces in stock, yet they couldn't find any or if you were lucky they could locate some an hour later somewhere in a box hidden at the other side of the store.How this is possible is a question to me since every item you buy is scanned. Either people are stealing like rats or the stock management program is worthless, I think it's the latter.

I'm sure stores like Big C, Tesco, Global House or name any must be losing massive amounts of money on a daily base because of this.But they maybe don't care becasue they are spoiled because they have semi monopoly and are making money like dirtr anyway.

I posted a few months ago that one of the big wigs of big c extra visited the shop and went furious when he saw all the empty shelves while all the products were in the Bangkok warehouses waiting to be ordered.Then things changed within a few days.

That was about 2 months ago, I challenge you to go take a look at that shop today smile.png

Funny the thing that prompted my post was the fact that we had just been to the big c extra store and i said to my wife how full the shelves were and how fresh everything looked compared to tesco and that i thought we ought to start doing our weekly shop there insead , we also use the smaller stores like friendship and find them to be good as well,another thing i noticed about tesco was that there were piles of boxes all over the floors but no one there to put out the merchandise.

I always find that south Pattaya Tesco is the busiest of all the large supermarkets hence why they

probably can't keep up with demand.

Being the busiest also tells us something.

Yes they are busy- and not enough check out staff.

About bare shelves, I used to shop for motorcycle oil there but they seem to have really decreased shelf space allocated to it. They probably earn more on groceries

Went to Tesco in South Pattaya this morning. I would have spent about 2,000 baht if they had the things they used to have. In the event I only spent 500 baht. Now if I had wanted 500 litres of cooking oil that wouldn't have been a problem. They have a whole aisle full of that.

Went to Tesco in South Pattaya this morning. I would have spent about 2,000 baht if they had the things they used to have. In the event I only spent 500 baht. Now if I had wanted 500 litres of cooking oil that wouldn't have been a problem. They have a whole aisle full of that.

We are the same ,i now find that the shelves are full of repeat items that they have loads off just to fill the gaps ,whoever does their ordering must be a moron.

my wife constantly fills in those forms at the enquieres desk complaining ,but no one has ever contacted her

• Like 1

I know a few foreigners who work in the supermarkts around Thailand.

The other day I spoke with one who works at one of the Bigger ones for almost a decade, and he told me he's definitely leaving as he can't take it anymore at the pace that quality together with supply decreases.

He said he isn't able to perform his job to a decent standard anymore with the resources he has access to for the past year, and it is going downwards constantly.