New Year Death Toll In Thailand Rises To 332

webfact

New Year death toll rises to 332

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The country's road accident casualties in the first six days of so-called "seven dangerous days" of the New Year holiday period reached 332 deaths and 3,037 injuries in 2,884 accidents nationwide, the National Road Safety Centre said Wednesday.

Deputy Permanent-Secretary for Interior Panadda Diskul reported that from December 27, 2012 to January 1, 2013 the reported cumulative death was 17 more people and the cumulative accident was 28 cases more than the last New Year period, whilst the cumulative injuries lowered by 79 persons. Trat was now the only province with no report of accident.

On January 1 alone, 72 people were killed and 583 persons were injured in 533 road accidents and the highest daily death toll was in Angthong at eight deaths and the highest daily injury was in Nakhon Si Thammarat at 28 persons.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-02

UPDATE

New Year road accidents casualties: 365 deaths,3,329 injured in 3,176 cases nationwide during Dec.27-Jan.2

/The Nation

Just 1 hour ago from posting this . I received news that my Friends father in law whom I spent New Years with in Buriram was killed on his motorbike! He was a quiet type that wasn,t found driving drunk at the time 54 .Funny since my previous days posts on this topic of how dangerous the roads were "taking a Not surprised attitude of how scary it was to get there and that the toll should have been a lot higher" really hits home particularly when one of the people you were socializing hours earlier with gets victimised from speeding untrained drunk loonies.. Very unnerving ...but still... no policing what do you expect ?????? that people will live !!

How many accidents were caused by" first time car buyers"?

Probably most the ones caused by an idiot blocking the fast lane.

Yes agree and the impatient idiots (many) blocking the oncoming traffic lane of a single lane and the left shoulder lane thus creating a 4lane road from a normally 2 lane highway .....Unbelievable...and moreso they let it happen????? <deleted>!!!!

But of course the government does a lot to reduce the numbers.

Seen with my own eyes on January 1 at 4.30 am.

While I'm waiting at the traffic lights on the North Pattaya road to turn on Sukumvith they have a police check point on my right side for the traffic entering Pattaya. I see at least 6 policemen standby with no cars stopped.

Right at the moment that the light at my side turns green a Honda Jazz comes from the Bangkok direction at high speed with no lights switched on and turns right onto North Pattaya road hereby jumping the red light.In his act he has a near miss with a car that comes from the opposite direction and turns left onto the same road, as he normally has free way.

While I turn onto sukhumvith I look in my mirrors what's gonna happen but I see he passes the alcohol checkpoint at high speed and no lights without issues.

YAY, for alcohol check points.

• Like 1

UPDATE

First 6 days of New Year Holiday see 332 deaths

The Nation

30197146-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The road toll for the first six of the so-called seven dangerous days of the New Year holiday period stood at 332 deaths and 3,037 injuries in 2,884 accidents nationwide, the National Road Safety Centre said yesterday.

Interior Ministry deputy permanent secretary Panadda Diskul reported that from December 27 to January 1 the cumulative death toll exceeded last year's by 17, while the accident count was up by 28 and the number of injuries down by 79. Trat is now the only province not to have reported a single accident.

Chiang Mai had the highest number of accidents at 123 and the most injuries at 128. With 14 deaths, Chiang Mai was second to Nakhon Pathom, with 16. Bangkok ranked third at 13 deaths.

On January 1 alone, 72 people were killed and 583 were injured in 533 road accidents, with the highest death toll for the day reported in Angthong, with eight fatalities, and the highest number of injuries occurring in Nakhon Si Thammarat, at 28. The two most common causes of road accidents were drunk driving (46.90 per cent) and speeding (20.45 per cent), with most of the accidents (82.28 per cent) involving motorcycles.

A total of 104,665 motorists have been ticketed at 2,349 checkpoints, with the most common infractions being (in descending order), failing to wear a helmet, failing to show a driver's licence and failing to wear a seat belt.

Holidaymakers continued to return to Bangkok from upcountry in large numbers yesterday. The Mor Chit and Southern bus terminals, as well as Hua Lamphong Train Station, were crowded and taxis were in short supply.

In related news, Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong yesterday visited Ayutthaya, one of 15 provinces participating in a pilot project launched by the ministry and police to enforce laws strictly against drunk driving, speeding and driving without wearing helmets or seat belts. He said the stricter enforcement had reduced the number of accidents in the province.

However, only 20 per cent of emergency calls related to traffic accidents were made to the 1669 hotline, Pradit said. He has ordered an assessment of the medical-emergency system, as well as additional measures to support patients with chronic illnesses who require emergency services during the Songkran Festival in April.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-03

One has to wonder when the people in positions of power and the means to actually have some influence on the road carnage are going to put up their hands and say "I have failed and have absolutely no idea how to stop this tragedy".

How many accidents were caused by" first time car buyers"?

Probably most the ones caused by an idiot blocking the fast lane.

There isn't a fast lane it's an overtaking lane, but your'e right, there is far to many Thai "drivers" hogging the centre and outside lanes on highways, I have been guilty on occasion of staying in the middle lane because the first lane has been badly rutted by overloaded trucks.
  • Like 1

its not the drinking and driving they should worry about ,

but the driving drunk is whet they should try and stop.

Wrong. Drinking any alcohol and driving should be against the law in any country.Behavior after drinking alcohol and what amount you drink affects different people in different ways whether you are driving or not.

One has to wonder when the people in positions of power and the means to actually have some influence on the road carnage are going to put up their hands and say "I have failed and have absolutely no idea how to stop this tragedy".

The first thing the people in positions of power would have to do is find a way of stopping bribery among the BIB, anyone know how to do that?

Thailand has laws for everything under the sun. Like the ban on prostitution all the other laws are rarely & selectively implemented. The absence of community information/education kits for the sub literate in society - on everyday things like vaccination, driving, hygiene.......is compounded by the buy-yourself-out-of-trouble lifestyle. No wonder life in Thailand is sooo cheap. For a traffic policeman work is limited to attending road accidents and submitting stats. Of course they have brief interludes when lunch-money or tea-money mean spotting a "farang" for an imagined traffic offence.

2884 Accidents !!!! Is that a score to be proud of ???? I think dispicably disgraceful only a little common sense could have brought this down!

Common sense in Thailand????

Here's a very good maths/arithmetic homework question: "Given that 322 died, 3 037 were injured with just 2 844 accidents, explain how you might find a number who were not injured?"