Thailand Loses Top Rice Exporter Title

webfact

Thailand loses top rice exporter title

BANGKOK: -- Thailand lost its three-decades-old title as the world's top rice exporter last year, falling behind India and Vietnam, industry sources said Friday.

Vietnam on Thursday announced that its rice exports for 2012 reached 7.6 million tons, up 10 per cent year-on-year. India’s rice exports last year exceeded 9.5 million tons, according to US Department of Agriculture figures.

Thailand exported 6.9 million in 2012, down 35.5 per cent from the 10.7 million tonnes it shipped in 2011, according to the Thai Rice Exporters Association’s and commerce ministry’s latest figures.

Of the 6.9 million tons, some 1.7 million were registered as government-to-government deals, which the private-sector association has questioned.

"The only government-to-government deal we saw evidence of was a 300,000 shipment to Indonesia in early 2012," said Chookiat Phaswongse, the association’s honorary president. "The other deals are still a mystery to us since we’ve seen no records of them." The exporters association blamed the country’s drop in exports on the government’s so-called paddy pledging scheme, under which it has agreed to buy unhusked white rice from farmers at a fixed price of Bt15,000 (484 dollars) per tonne and high-quality jasmine at Bt20,000 per ton.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-04

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin, the criminals rice pledging scheme may have netted him and his syncophants a fortune but it has caused Thailand and the PTP government a massive loss of face and the Thai treasury a massive financial loss so far. The bad news is, its not over yet. With another year of this bad policy to go, one wonders how the PTP will spin this to their advantage.

If there is a massive crop failure in India or China then Thailand will make out like a bandit. Otherwise, they will simply have to count on the strength of the Thai economy to bail them out of this mess!

Well that won't be of much help. With all the dept being built up and the effects of the wage increase to business. Unemployment numbers rising, etc etc etc

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

The next government to come to power will find the coffers empty, massive national debt and millions of tonnes of expired rice.

Well if the economic situation is as severe as you make up, then the chances are somewhere down the line this Government will have to deal with it. Whinge as you may its not as if any other party poses a viable alternative to the voting public so unless there is a coup the chances are you are going to spend the foreseeable future writing the same whining messages everyday for the next 10 years. For your health I would try and sit back and see where the country goes. According to a recent interview with Korn, the economy is in good health, but i expect you know more than him....................

The Democrats had quite a good rice subsidy scheme whereby the farmer received a direct payment. It cost alot less than PT's and certainly had less scope for corruption. One can only guess why the present government chose their own disastrous one.

Can you show me what you base your figures on for the direct payment received under the Democrats? and the figures associated with the current disastrous one? I am not denying this may be the case, but would like to see some numbers, unless this is all just conjecture at this stage?

• Like 2

Thaksin, the criminals rice pledging scheme may have netted him and his syncophants a fortune but it has caused Thailand and the PTP government a massive loss of face and the Thai treasury a massive financial loss so far. The bad news is, its not over yet. With another year of this bad policy to go, one wonders how the PTP will spin this to their advantage.

beatdeadhorse.gif here we go again and again.

• Like 1

The next government to come to power will find the coffers empty, massive national debt and millions of tonnes of expired rice.

Well if the economic situation is as severe as you make up, then the chances are somewhere down the line this Government will have to deal with it. Whinge as you may its not as if any other party poses a viable alternative to the voting public so unless there is a coup the chances are you are going to spend the foreseeable future writing the same whining messages everyday for the next 10 years. For your health I would try and sit back and see where the country goes. According to a recent interview with Korn, the economy is in good health, but i expect you know more than him....................

The Democrats had quite a good rice subsidy scheme whereby the farmer received a direct payment. It cost alot less than PT's and certainly had less scope for corruption. One can only guess why the present government chose their own disastrous one.

Can you show me what you base your figures on for the direct payment received under the Democrats? and the figures associated with the current disastrous one? I am not denying this may be the case, but would like to see some numbers, unless this is all just conjecture at this stage?

There was a topic on TV a while ago that gave the Govt own loss figures this year at well over 30 billion bht and that was if they sold all the stockpiled rice this year, something which is obviously not happening

The Democrat scheme was obviously not implemented as they lost the election:-) but was less bureacratic and costly as it paid subsidies directly to whom it was needed, the farmer. From memory, and I can't find the TV link, the Dems scheme was roughly half the cost of the PT one.

July 2015.

"Re-elected Puea Thai Party proudly claims it has more unsold rice in storage than any other rice producing nation on earth."

• Like 2

From 2012-09-24

"An income-support program implemented by the previous government, headed by now-opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, provided about 67 billion baht in direct payments to 4 million rice farmers in the 2010-2011 production year, according to the state-run Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives."

http://www.bloomberg...aksin-says.html

This article also has some interesting insight in how great minds work. I'm refering to Pheu Thai's great thinker, of course.

"Thaksin said the previous government "spoiled" exporters by selling them cheap rice and called on them to become better at marketing."

"Sales to Indonesia, Iraq and Ivory Coast, as well as other countries in the Middle East and Africa, will keep reserves down, he said."

""I don't think we have much because we keep selling," he said, referring to the rice stockpile next year."

Numbers and figures I have come across in the past few months.

15 million tons of milled rice as of jan. 1 2013, storage

30 million tons of paddy rice as of jan 1 2013 storage (this will be reduced by 30%+_ after milling)

Ag bank have floated 800.000,000,000 in bonds to cover 2012 and 2013 rice crops

About one half the farmers on Ag bank rolls signed up for 2012 program (reported that only chonate holder qualify)

Less than one fourth are signed up for 2013, at present

Rice price paid to those in the programs appears to be about 30% less than the 15,000 and 20,000 baht a ton advertised

Government export figures do not agree with rice exporters figures

Rice from bordering countries has been documented entering the system

Payment to farmer is delayed for up to several weeks

These numbers and figures are from newspapers, government announcements, export figures, banks, financial instituations/figures. .

Edited by slapout

Thailand 'loses rank of world's top rice exporter'

BANGKOK, Jan 4, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand lost its status as the world's top rice exporter in 2012 as a controversial scheme to boost farmer incomes saw it overtaken by India and Vietnam, an industry group said Friday.

Thailand exported 6.9 million tonnes of rice last year, falling behind India which shipped 9.5 million tonnes and Vietnam which sold 7.8 million tonnes overseas, according to the Thai Rice Exporters Association.

Thai exports slumped 35 percent from the 2011 level of about 10.6 million tonnes, based on the group's figures.

"We had been the champion since 1980, for 31 years, but we lost the top spot in 2012," the group's honorary president Chookiat Ophaswongse told AFP.

He said the figures from the rival exporters were based on data from Vietnam's rice industry and the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's more than one-year-old policy to buy rice from farmers for 50 percent more than the market price, while popular with the rural poor has hit the competitiveness of Thai exports.

"Now Thai rice is $130-150 per tonne more expensive than our competitors. That's why our exports have fallen as no customer can buy from us," said Chookiat.

"Exporters should change their jobs because they can't survive. Rice has become a political issue now," he said.

The kingdom produces about 20 million tonnes of the grain annually on average, about half of which was sold overseas in the past.

Chookiat estimated that Thailand now has about 12-13 million tonnes of stock in storage and predicted that by the third quarter of 2013 this rice mountain will have grown to about 20 million tonnes.

While the scheme is putting strains on Thailand's government finances, it has been welcomed by many farmers, whose support helped sweep Yingluck to a landslide election victory last year.

Her older brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted as prime minister by royalist generals in a coup in 2006, is hugely popular in rural Thailand thanks to his populist policies while in power.

The government has said it is confident that it can find buyers for its rice on world markets at a price that will raise the living standards of its farmers. It says it has signed deals to sell rice directly to other countries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-01-04

No, it would be the next government, and it will be hated by the public for reining in on spending and setting austerity measures to amend the economy. Next cycle the same clique that caused the damage comes around reminding everyone how generous they were when they were in government and so on and so forth.

Everyone likes the free goodies, noone wants to hear that later on they actually have to pay for them with interest.

• Like 2

Where's the whinge?

The situation I stated was the next election - not now.

Where's the whine?

Just another red turnip

In what company would any employee be able to make such stupid decisions that allowed the company to pay more for a product than they can sell it for, lose so much marketshare that they fell from number 1 to number 3 within 1 year, and still stuffed the warehouse with products with a limited shelf life?

Then make up "phantom" deals that they can't prove and then say they are going to do exactly the same thing next year?

To call the PTP clowns would be an insult to clowns everywhere.

I don't understand the fuzz about the title "exporter". It's just one of the many lists in the world and totally not important, except for some people in the Government.

Thailand is # 6 or #7 on the list of Rice PRODUCING countries and small in comparison to India, China, Indonesia, Myanmar, Bangladesh and others.

Edited by LaoPo

I don't understand the fuzz about the title "exporter". It's just one of the many lists in the world and totally not important, except for some people in the Government.

Thailand is # 6 or #7 on the list of Rice PRODUCING countries and small in comparison to India, China, Indonesia, Myanmar, Bangladesh and others.

Is this sarcasm or are you being real here?

Please be sarcasm.

I just talked with my wife about this article and her response was "Stupid <deleted> Yingluck! The price of everything is up. With with her 300 Baht a day scheme, people are losing their jobs." Her parents are farmers, she worked for IBM...

Is this sarcasm or are you being real here?

Please be sarcasm.

It's about reality and a non-issue about (exported) rice smile.png