What Does A Fella Do?

nagasaki

All, it would be nice to solicit your thoughts

Please don't take what I say about your post as being critical in any way of people who live in Thailand its not meant to be, but it is something that have thought about and am simply explaining from my point of view, It would be nice to here your thoughts as people who live in Thailand

I have spent time in Thailand and have seriously cosidered living there for as long as i can. i am, 43, UK, ok office job, no dependants). financially I could live there reasonably comfortably for at least 20 - 30 years perhaps even life, given the current economic situation stays roughly the same and I dont need to return to UK to often

When Holidaying in thailand have absolutely loved it, be there again in 2 months cant wait, however I feel if I lived in Thailand full time I feel i may end up with a very empty meaningless life , and after a while constant pleasure and laziness would leas to a kind of boredom that would do my head in and I think I could end up with Pshychological problems, just out of interst for the people who have done this long term, or even short term, do you entertain these kind of thoughts, how do you overcome them. I have found that one Thailand gives a man is time to think, perhaps to much time

Only you know what you want to do with the rest of your life.

If you have no income problems and can retire to a life of leisure, go for it.

I have made more than 50 trips to Thailand as a tourist and love it as a holiday destination.

I did an extended trip one year to determine whether I could live there full time. I found myself getting into a daily rut of doing virtually nothing. I soon become bored.

If you get yourself involved in sporting clubs or charity committees with other expats, you could create a social scene for yourself that may be fulfilling.

If you bought/rented your own house and had wheels, you gain travel independence giving you the freedom to move around and explore Thailand.

Girlfriends come easy, finding the right girl takes a little more effort. In my case, I found the right girl and brought her home with me, so I live happily in Oz with a living, breathing piece of Thailand.

I suggest that you take a good look at all the things you love in your home country, all the activities that you love doing, all the places you love visiting, all the friends you have around you and then ask yourself, 'Can I happily walk away from these things and will I find better alternatives in Thailand?'

As I said in the first sentence of this post, only you will know the answer. :o

Many people fall in to a trap when they come here on holiday.

You come for a week or two, or three and have an awesome time. It's paradise ! Who wouldn't want to live in a place like this for the rest of their lives ?

Unfortunately, living here is not one continuous, stratched out holiday. Even strong, hardy people can't spend months and months drinking all day and partying all night, like you might do while on a short holiday.

Think about the things you do back home that don't have to do with work or sitting in a pub 6 hours a night. Many activities you enjoy back home can be enjoyed here as well. Difference being is that here, you can enjoy those activities pretty much year round (unless those activities involve cold, wet, freezing weather :o )

In my case, I made 6 trips (holidays) to Thailand in 2004/2005 alone. Each time was between 10-30 days. Lots of partying and fun until it was time to leave.

Now I'm living here and it's a different story. Partied quite a bit for the first 2 weeks after arriving in November, but have tried to settle into a normal routine since then. To fill my idle time, I'm trying to learn Thai (reading, writing and speaking). Spending too much time on the internet. Take the moto out for a spin once in awhile. Still have too much free time on my hands, but I don't want to commit to any endeavours in case I get called back to my old job (which could happen in a couple of weeks, or a couple of months).

Volunteer to help out with various local charities. Take up bowling. Tour the country. If you have the means, start up a business that won't require your full-time participation (remember that it can be a complicated process here).

Join one (or more) of the local ex-pat clubs. They are full of people who are/were in similar situations as you are. Lots of good advice to be had there.

You can still party and have loads of fun, but I wouldn't advise trying to do it every night of the week !

I used to find work in the UK fun, financially beneficial & sometimes intellectually stimulating, but I still wouldn't go back to it ! There are other things in life, apart from working until you drop, mostly for the benefit of HM Tax-Men. :D Only you know what else you want to do with your life ! :D

But living in LOS does mean living, it's not like a longer holiday, except for a few short-lived people, who find being falling-over drunk to be an end in itself. :o

It helps to have a family here.

This one is currently running now and is an identical topic.

sorry hope you dont mind but I dont think its an identical topic

that one is about 'filling time'

my fear (and this is me personally) is about living what may be considered an empty even meaningless lifestyle (by some, not neccessarily all) of personal pleasure and laziness, and if people have found this themselves, how have they coped, my initial post probably did not specify that very well, hope this clears up the topic i am trying to raise.

O.K. Offset the fun, pleasure and idleness with meaningful activities. Thailand has enough of that to offer. It's up to what your personal interests and preferences are. What do you like to do? What interests you? What subjects fascinate and excite you?