If Applied For Tourist Visa Ticking Single, Will This Affect Partner Visa Application - Australia

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light....

My partner is from a high risk country... we met whilst I was traveling and lived together for 7 months in his country.. I moved back to Aus 2 months ago but we are still in touch all the time and in a relationship... we really want him to come over to Australia for a month in March when he has time off. I was advised by many to make the invitation letter and stuff very formal, not to mention he is my partner on the application so it is less likely he will been seen as a risk to overstay. So we put together an application saying I stayed with him for 7 months and had an amazing cultural experience so want to return that favour by inviting him to Australia during his university holidays (all true)

I got to the space where we have to tick his martial status and we ticked single rather than in a defacto relationship and my relationship to him i wrote friend rather than girlfriend.... what will now happen if we apply for a partner visa in april or may? how is this going to affect everything?? can i apply for a partner visa and write that i had ticked single because i thought since we were not living together during the month i was applying i didn't know the definition or something like that??

thanks

IMO, if he comes there in March as a visitor (and not yet a partner), it would be believable that by April/May things have gone further.

Basically, the story would be, you spent a lot of time together before. You decided you had to go back and broke things off. You wanted him to visit to see Aus. Things went well.

I don't think the visit would be a problem when applying for a partner visa. Actually getting the partner visa would be a different story altogether.

I do not understand why you have been advised not to mention him as your partner.(this does not make sense)

In my experience, when i first applied for a visitor visa for my partner we were honest about our relationship. And i think this worked in our favour.(my partner is now a resident in Australia)

You say that you will be applying for a partner visa in april/may, by being honest about your relationship now and stating that you are already in a relationship will only make your case for a partner visa easier. What partner visa do you plan on applying for is it on defacto grounds?(if so you will have to prove that you have been in a genuine relationship for the previous 12 month's)

I would be very careful about lying to DIAC if you are caught out it will probably ruin any chance for a visa at all.

Best of luck

nightwatch

Edited by nightwatch

Hi there

Don't over-think this.

Ticking single or defacto will have no bearing

on any future partner visa. DIAC will assess any

future partner applications on what you provide

in that application.

Sounds like the letter you have submitted or are

going to submit sounds fine.

Don't forget, it's only a tourist visa. A lot of people

read too much into it.

Good luck with the application.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

My partner actually ticked divorced on her first and second tourist visa application,

We had a choice between, defacto, or divorced, and with either of those two choices we wer'nt lying,

But i do think if you are serious about the partner visa in your letter of invitation it would not hurt to talk about your relationship as i really think that you could use that as a stepping stone to the partner visa.

Best of luck

nightwatch

The applicant is only applying for a visitors visa 676. all that has to be met is the criteria for this visa. All visas have different critera.( in other words requirements) The visa form has an information page.

"The applicant is only applying for a visitors visa"

Did you fail to read in the opening post by the OP and also in the subject of the topic ( will this affect partner visa).

it will not affect a visitors visa or partner visa. I simply stated that she could use the application for a visitors visa as a stepping stone to the partner visa.

Electau i am only trying to be helpful in my post's, as i have travelled down this road recently.

Best of luck,

nightwatch

Edited by sbk

I went through this process 3 weeks ago with my thai gf, she ticked single as thats what she is, not married not defacto. however she stated reason for travel was to visit her bf (me) as well as other cultural reasons (kolas,kangaroos etc) nothing to hide diac knows from the application that i am her bf. keep it simple dont think too much about it.

• Like 1

I went through this process 3 weeks ago with my thai gf, she ticked single as thats what she is, not married not defacto. however she stated reason for travel was to visit her bf (me) as well as other cultural reasons (kolas,kangaroos etc) nothing to hide diac knows from the application that i am her bf. keep it simple dont think too much about it.

Mate, great to see you back here and I am sure, buoyed by your recent success ... thumbsup.gif

Mate, great to see you back here and I am sure, buoyed by your recent success ... thumbsup.gif

thx mate,

your how to guide is great and everyone should follow it to help them through the process...