Anyone Recently Renewed Both Their 1 Year Bike And Car Licences Into 5 Year Licences At Phuket?

Phronesis

I am about to renew both my 1 year BIKE AND CAR licences into 5 year licences at Phuket.

When I first applied for both the 1 year licences at Phuket, I was told by staff at the transport office that I needed TWO ORIGINALS of the residency certificate and TWO ORIGINALS of my medical certificates.

If anyone has recently renewed their 1 year bike and car licences to 5 years licences at Phuket, can you please post whether you got by with only 1 original of the residency certificate and medical certificate and one copy of each.

Please also let me know when you renewed...before or after the expiry dates on your 1 year licences.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure, I never ask for more as one, at immigration. But the last time is some years ago, anyway

But in case someone with a wp comes in, he don't have two work permits, they have to do copies anyway!

Here they even keep the original.

So, like many times, it can be, but doesn't make sense. Besides the immigration is taking money, now. 2 times is more, as 1 time, methinks.

But ask them, if you have to do the eye test and to read the book, twice, too.

Renewed about 4 months ago, 1 year to 5 year for both car and bike.

Only needed 1 orig and copies for other application. It is possible to renew before the expiry no problem (i renewed about 3 weeks before expiry). Had to do the brake reaction test and colour blindness test only.

The rules change quite regular because when I first applied for 1-year licence I used my yellow book as proof of residency / address. When I went back for 5-year they wouldn't accept yellow book and wanted immigration certificate. They don't seem to like it if you have everything correct !!

Edited by TS79

Only needed 1 orig and copies for other application. It is possible to renew before the expiry no problem (i renewed about 3 weeks before expiry). Had to do the brake reaction test and colour blindness test only.

The rules change quite regular because when I first applied for 1-year licence I used my yellow book as proof of residency / address. When I went back for 5-year they wouldn't accept yellow book and wanted immigration certificate. They don't seem to like it if you have everything correct !!

Where you at the Phuket transport office?

Was at the office in Phuket Town that does driving licences. If that is called Phuket Transport Office then yes I was. Its the building at the far right corner next to the driving test track.

Was at the office in Phuket Town that does driving licences. If that is called Phuket Transport Office then yes I was. Its the building at the far right corner next to the driving test track.

Thanks for that. I will give it a try with copies. I hope it works because if you have to go back and get a second original it is another day lost.

Can I ask you to list exactly what documents you presented with your application to renew from 1 year to 5 year.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Phronesis

Thanks for that. I will give it a try with copies. I hope it works because if you have to go back and get a second original it is another day lost.

Can I ask you to list exactly what documents you presented with your application to renew from 1 year to 5 year.

Thanks in advance.

No problem, I make a note whenever i do a application / renewal. I took yellow book orig and copies which were not accepted, so nipped straight over to immigration for cert of residence and then straight back to DL place.

This time it was:

Certificate of Residence (orig + 1 copy)

Medical Certificate (orig + 1 copy)

Passport photo page (2 copy) - Took orig in case

Passport Visa page (2 copy) - Took orig in case

Passport immigration card (2 copy) - Took orig in case

Copy Old Driving Licences - orig they return to you if renewing early.

Best to have them all separated in two nice stacks for them so they can just clip the app form to them.

Edited by TS79

I've got to renew my 5 year car and bike driving licence, i suspect the paperwork is the same as whats been mentioned, can anyone confirm this, it won't be as easy as handing in my old 5 year licence with a couple of photo's wai.gif

No problem, I make a note whenever i do a application / renewal. I took yellow book orig and copies which were not accepted, so nipped straight over to immigration for cert of residence and then straight back to DL place.

This time it was:

Certificate of Residence (orig + 1 copy)

Medical Certificate (orig + 1 copy)

Passport photo page (2 copy) - Took orig in case

Passport Visa page (2 copy) - Took orig in case

Passport immigration card (2 copy) - Took orig in case

Copy Old Driving Licences - orig they return to you if renewing early.

Best to have them all separated in two nice stacks for them so they can just clip the app form to them.

Thanks TS. Your post is by far the most helpful that anyone has made for me todate on TV.

The residency certificate is just another revenue grab.

TS

And the fees for 5 year application?

If I remember right: 5 times the one year fee, about 700 baht or so.

Not sure but last time I paid more like 250 baht per license.

~700 was for both. If it was ~700!

I think, it's about 90baht for the car and about 45 baht for the motorcycle license/year.

But I'm in the middle, almost, of my 5 years, I may recall it wrong.

Actually, thaivisa says different:

http://www.thaivisa.com/thai-driving-license.html

"Fee : 105 baht for cars and 55 baht for motorcycle"

We'll have to wait for TS79's comment on this, methinks.

Ok. Thanks everyone for your input.

I will attempt the 5 year renew at Phuket with just 1 original of both the med cert and the res certificate.

I will post the outcome.

Can anyone recommend where I can get the medical certificate swiftly. Last year I went to the hospital and after waiting a lifetime I finally made it in to see the doctor.

He asked me what was wrong and I told him I needed two certificates for my driver and bike licences.

He looked at me and said "Are you feeling well".

I said "Yes"

He then wrote out the two certificates.

Edited by Phronesis

Ok. Thanks everyone for your input.

I will attempt the 5 year renew at Phuket with just 1 original of both the med cert and the res certificate.

I will post the outcome.

Can anyone recommend where I can get the medical certificate swiftly. Last year I went to the hospital and after waiting a lifetime I finally made it in to see the doctor.

He asked me what was wrong and I told him I needed two certificates for my driver and bike licences.

He looked at me and said "Are you feeling well".

I said "Yes"

He then wrote out the two certificates.

Try it there:

http://goo.gl/maps/G4DEu

Edit: Oh yes, Dr. Chusak, of course!

wait:

http://goo.gl/maps/B8vTf

Edited by noob7

Any little doc place will do. I don't live in Patong but I use a small place there on the new road that runs parallel to rat-u-thit 200 pee, a little bit north of soi sansabai. 100 baht, in and out in 2 mins, don't see the doc only receptionist.