30 Year Lease On Land ?

Cost to have a 30 year lease placed on the Chanote by the land office is minimal.

The cost of a 30 year lease is going to be dependent upon where. Chonburi is a pretty large area so you will have to be a little more specific.

It will always be cheaper to rent a house, since the lease for the land is just the beginning. How much of a house are you planning to build and, as said previously, where ?

Sorry Charlie, but you are going to have to be a little more forthcoming on what you are thinking

Hello to all,

Im wondering how much the cost of a 30 year lease for a small piece of land

to build and live on in the chonburi area ?.

Or maybe its just cheaper to rent a house ?.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards.

Charlie.

30 year lease or renting is basically the same thing except one off them you pay a huge sum upfront and are pretty tied into it ,the other one is payed monthly and you can walk away anytime pretty obvious which is the better choice.

Hi Langsuan man.

I looking for somewhere in a 30 km radius of pattaya, but im certain i don't want to live in pattaya.

Im not a big drinker so the surrounding areas are fine, i can pop in and out when i need some Farang food.

I have a car so it would be nice to be able to near some nice beaches and not to far from Bkk airport.

I plan to built a 2 bedroom, nothing spectacular.

Im looking at the lease in my name as im reading so many horror stories of guys who lose everything.

I don't fancy being out on the street if something better comes along.

Regards.

Charlie.

Hello to all,

Regards.

Charlie.

30 year lease or renting is basically the same thing except one off them you pay a huge sum upfront and are pretty tied into it ,the other one is payed monthly and you can walk away anytime pretty obvious which is the better choice.

Hi Taninthai.

Im sorry, but i have to disagree with you.

sure its may be cheaper and easy to walk away from renting.

When i have a registered lease in the land office the thai owner

can get jealous, but can not take back the land with my house on it.

well not for 30 years anyway smile.gif.

Regards.

Charlie.

All I can suggest is that you get in that car of yours and travel around and see what is available. Unfortunately it is not all that easy to get a Thai landowner to give you a 30 year lease (although I would prefer a usfruct but that is up to you) . It is almost impossible to get any developer to do the lease thing, since they want to get in, build the project, turn it over to the owner association, and then get out and do it all over again

But there are individual parcels available but are not advertised so you have to find them. Thai landowners are notorious for just keeping any land that they may have vacant, just for the sake of owning it. (TIT) And for them there is no real downside since taxes for undeveloped land in this country is in many cases so low that the authorities don't even collect it

Good luck in your quest. I gave up after a year of looking and just went the company route and bought a lot in a development and built my own house

• Like 1

Hello to all,

Regards.

Charlie.

Hi Taninthai.

Regards.

Charlie.

A little different from your case but just something to think about.

Some years ago I bought some land to build a house, and since it can't be in foreign name amd I didn't want to go the company route, I had to find a Thai I trusted to register the land and then in some way give me the right to build a house on it and live on it.

I went to a lawyer and asked him what would be the best way, either registering a lease or have the Thai person sign a mortgage with the land title as collateral.

The very first thing he said was. If you have a lease and the Thai people want back the land you will have a reason to die, where a mortgage will still be valid and go to your heirs in case you die.

Problem with owning plot of land outside of a development can go something like my friends. He built house on half rai of land wife owned and all was great for 4 to 5 years. Then owner of property on western side of his place decided to lease out the 3+ rai of land to a farmer. The farmer fenced the plot in and dropped 20 cows on the property. Cows generate lots of crap and urine and with the wind coming from the west many months of the year you can imagine smell.

With a rental you can move easily.

I love my condo in Pattaya but it doesn't mean you need to bar hop just because you live here. Its called self control.

It is not difficult to lease a piece of land in a foreign name only for 30 years, with the lease correctly registered at the land office, (and land tax paid for the 30 year period). Since you are neither leasing a house nor leasing a business, there is (should not be) any key-money to pay. You simply pay the monthly or quarterly rental sum that is stated in your lease contract, (the details of which will state the lease amount for each of the 30 years).

Then you build your beautiful teak or hardwood house on the land. If you run into some major problems in the future years, you simply dismantle your house and relocate to another piece of leased land.

Your lease contract should not have any terms that legally tie you to paying for 30 years if you do not want to. The usual condition is that if you do not pay the rent for 3 months, then the landlord can repossess his land.

Sounds straightforward and it is. I have done this on 3 different pieces of land where I have built small hotels. I also almost did the same on 1 rai of land in Phuket where I was going to build a teak house. The monthly rent was 10,000 baht per month for 30 years, with no upfront deposit etc.

I never understand why foreigners willingly pay the whole 30-year lease sum 'upfront'. It's a 'rent', not a 'purchase'!

Simon

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

I never understand why foreigners willingly pay the whole 30-year lease sum 'upfront'. It's a 'rent', not a 'purchase'!

Simon

While neither of us 'understand' ;) it, simple fact is the market includes farangs who willingly or unwittingly will anway far pay in excess of the freehold value for leasehold (though of course true value is what the market will bear so includes such people) - and often the lump sum is part of the cognitive dissonance of thinking renewals / right to buy etc give an approximation of freehold.

Simon

While neither of us 'understand' wink.png it, simple fact is the market includes farangs who willingly or unwittingly will anway far pay in excess of the freehold value for leasehold (though of course true value is what the market will bear so includes such people) - and often the lump sum is part of the cognitive dissonance of thinking renewals / right to buy etc give an approximation of freehold.

The bolded part you can blame that fully on lawyers and agents, who constantly lie about renewals, options to buy, controlling shares etc. It is told so many times by them that it got to the status of truth until just a few years ago when the cracks started to appear. I guess they hate the internet tat makes it possible to put a light on these criminals.

If foreigners knew exactly how things work nobody would pay 30 years upfront, it is almost insane to do that, exceptions for super prime locations used for doing business.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 1

Only long term lease that is safe in Thailand is a 50 year BOI one. Unless you are building a new car factory, or spending millions of Dollars you are not in the game.

If people used the commonsense they would use in their home countries, they would not believe a smiling face saying no problem. Jim

Simon

While neither of us 'understand' wink.png it, simple fact is the market includes farangs who willingly or unwittingly will anway far pay in excess of the freehold value for leasehold (though of course true value is what the market will bear so includes such people) - and often the lump sum is part of the cognitive dissonance of thinking renewals / right to buy etc give an approximation of freehold.

The bolded part you can blame that fully on lawyers and agents, who constantly lie about renewals, options to buy, controlling shares etc. It is told so many times by them that it got to the status of truth until just a few years ago when the cracks started to appear. I guess they hate the internet tat makes it possible to put a light on these criminals.

If foreigners knew exactly how things work nobody would pay 30 years upfront, it is almost insane to do that, exceptions for super prime locations used for doing business.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'fully' - delusion is still relatively widespread - some people just want to believe

Although I wouldn't touch it myself, "leasehold" as a form of "ownership" is very common in the UK. This with only a peppercorn / nominal yearly rent and upfront lump sum close to the freehold asking price, but dependant on the number of years left of the lease. Renewal is accepted as largely a given but negotiation takes place for how much must be paid for a new one.

But; I agree with the guy that said in Thailand it gives you a reason to die :(

Why not just make a 5 or 10 yearly renewable rental contract (deposit 3 months and pay monthly) and build your house so it can be deconstructed and moved? (Or like the other guy said a lease but pay monthly)

Edited by mccw

Why not just make a 5 or 10 yearly renewable rental contract (deposit 3 months and pay monthly) and build your house so it can be deconstructed and moved? (Or like the other guy said a lease but pay monthly)

renewal of a 5, 10 or any number of year lease (up to max of 30 for residential) faces the same difficulty of being easily defeated

renewal of a 5, 10 or any number of year lease (up to max of 30 for residential) faces the same difficulty of being easily defeated

I mean that just a shorter time can have its advantages.

Extreme Example = 5 years upfront is not so bad and not so long to wait for the Thai no to feel like maybe kill you for take back land is only option.

Most Thais would not kill anyone. :)

I think the risk of that happening is infinitesimal small.

When leasing the longest contract with the shortest payment period is the goal.

For everyone the boundaries are different.

For business 10 years is the minimum, for living 6 months can be enough. It all depends.

Hello to all,

Regards.

Charlie.

Hi Taninthai.

Regards.

Charlie.

A little different from your case but just something to think about.

Some years ago I bought some land to build a house, and since it can't be in foreign name amd I didn't want to go the company route, I had to find a Thai I trusted to register the land and then in some way give me the right to build a house on it and live on it.

I went to a lawyer and asked him what would be the best way, either registering a lease or have the Thai person sign a mortgage with the land title as collateral.

The very first thing he said was. If you have a lease and the Thai people want back the land you will have a reason to die, where a mortgage will still be valid and go to your heirs in case you die.

WOW. IN RELATIONSHIPS IN ANY COUNTRY YOU DON'T KNOW WHATS AROUND THE CORNER.

BUT THIS IS SCARY SHIT!. FALL OUT WITH GF AND THEN YOU MEET YOUR END!!!.

LAND OF SMILE'S ?. I'M NOT SO SURE ANY MORE!!!