Foreigner Died Mysteriously Near Burma Border

Lite Beer

Foreigner Died Mysteriously Near Burma Border

Soldiers patrolling the border of Thailand-Burma found the corpse of a foreigner who had died in the bush about 300 meters from the border. The white-skinned man appeared to be European, between ages 25-30. His head was covered with a clear plastic bag with a wire tied around his neck.

CHIANG RAI – January 4, 2013 [PDN]; a reporter was informed of a foreigner’s body being found by the soldiers that patrol in the border of Thailand-Burma along the road route Baan Jalor-Baan Pasang Nang Ngern.

The soldiers reported their discovery to Colonel Thanatphol Kosaisewee, the Commander of the 3rd cavalry department; and Pol. Col. Boonwart Mungkarach, Superintendent, Maefahluang police station.

The soldiers discovered the body when they arrived at Arkeuh village Moo 12 Tambon Maefahluang, Amphur Maefahluang, Chiang Rai province.

Full Story: http://www.pattayada...r-burma-border/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-01-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see how suicide could be considered in this instance, plastic bag full of water over the head and secured by a wire around the neck, I hope the truth is found so the family of the deceased can be properly informed once his identity is established.

• Like 2

The dead man’s head was covered with the clear plastic bag with a wire tired around his neck. In the bag there was water and a little bleeding. "A weirdly committed suicide" - Never heard such a kind of way to commit suicide. This country has lots of weirdly committed suicides which have been done most of time only here as larger numbers. Just checked that there have been no recorded suicides done this way in my home country last 5 years(plastic bag and rope/wire), ohmy.png

Initially, officials still could not determine the cause of death, because there were no traces of fighting or violence - please give me a break. This might be mostly used sentence in any investigation(murder) here, which means nothing.

By the way, he had a mobile phone -> numbers inside? Nobody tried to call and check...of course not. Hey, who has seen any phone or money, no there is no phone or money what're you talking about ??? coffee1.gif

Edited by Scott
formatting
  • Like 1

Plastic bags can be used for suicide (usually accompanied by a narcotic) and are used in some methods of self euthanasia.

Yeah, a plastic bag itself won't usually do it due to the panic response. So it usually has to be combined with a narcotic/gas. Hope they do a good autopsy on this one (though even the presence of a narcotic in the poor man's body won't conclusively prove suicide of course).

• Like 1

From the PDN..."Initially, officials still could not determine the cause of death, because there were no traces of fighting or violence. They speculated that the foreigner’s death could be a murder or a weirdly committed suicide."

Well then...why not conduct an experiment BIB? Get the rookie Plod, place a plastic bag over his head and securly

tie the bag with wire. You want to tie his hands behind his back with wire also so he cannot rip the bag off of his

own head himself. Sit him calmly in a chair and start a stopwatch...stop the stopwatch when he stops breathing.

Cause of death is usually suffocation in these instances...whether or not water & blood is present inside the

plastic bag.

For a suicide...especially up there....a massive (and relatively cheap) OD on heroin would have been the

easiest.

Then again...maybe he was into autoeroticism in the jungle and it went all horribly wrong causing asphyxiation.

To me...how he died isn't a mystery...that's fairly obvious....so who dunnit then? The butler? The TG/TBF?

That's what the BIB's gotta establish....good luck there.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

It seems an odd way to murder someone, but not completely out of the question. Even so, it appears as a suicide, if the liquid in the bag was water, and not bodily from the body. No evident sign of struggle? and no inhalation of the bag? No trauma to the skull or face? Weird. RIP fellow. I hope the cops do a professional investigation.

In the late 80's, I used to moto-cross around areas near the border and saw a few "things" that could have got me in trouble if not for the fact that I was established there with my (Thai) wife and family. Mountain tribe people knew me and would wave as I passed by and I would wave back as I saw them take used / old / sun-dried poppy plants in bundles for "decorative" sales. The district chief politely advised me that it was not really a good idea to go tromping around the border areas as there was (and to the best of my knowledge, still is) a price on foreigners heads by the drug lords. There have been several incidents throughout the years where foreigners have strayed a bit too far off the beaten path and found trouble in the worst way.... Of course, nowadays, it's Ya-Ba (meth).

• Like 2

Mysteriously ?? He was murdered, how is that mysterious ? Poor man, RIP whoever you are, hopefully they do find out his identity so his family can be informed.

Don't you think they would've bound his hands before suffocating him with a plastic bag so he can't fight being killed? If he was conscious while being suffocated I'm sure he would have tried to fight it, and if he was bound there would be marks or abrasions on his wrists. The cops said they found no wounds on his body, but then again decomposition might have taken care of that. Also, why remove the shackles from his hands afterwards, but not the plastic bag??? While I'm not excluding the possibility of murder, it's quite possible he committed suicide.

Mysteriously ?? He was murdered, how is that mysterious ? Poor man, RIP whoever you are, hopefully they do find out his identity so his family can be informed.

Don't you think they would've bound his hands before suffocating him with a plastic bag so he can't fight being killed? If he was conscious while being suffocated I'm sure he would have tried to fight it, and if he was bound there would be marks or abrasions on his wrists. The cops said they found no wounds on his body, but then again decomposition might have taken care of that. Also, why remove the shackles from his hands afterwards, but not the plastic bag??? While I'm not excluding the possibility of murder, it's quite possible he committed suicide.

Ifs and buts don't lead to anything. We need to await the final outcome of the BIB before we may indulge in questioning what may have possibly gone wrong at the scene of the 'crime'. wink.png

-mel.

They speculated that the foreigner’s death could be a murder or a weirdly committed suicide.

I don't think suicide is considered a crime or criminal act in Thailand, as the last sentence implies through the use of the word "commit" .

In the late 80's, I used to moto-cross around areas near the border and saw a few "things" that could have got me in trouble if not for the fact that I was established there with my (Thai) wife and family. Mountain tribe people knew me and would wave as I passed by and I would wave back as I saw them take used / old / sun-dried poppy plants in bundles for "decorative" sales. The district chief politely advised me that it was not really a good idea to go tromping around the border areas as there was (and to the best of my knowledge, still is) a price on foreigners heads by the drug lords. There have been several incidents throughout the years where foreigners have strayed a bit too far off the beaten path and found trouble in the worst way.... Of course, nowadays, it's Ya-Ba (meth).

Good post. when I saw the area drugs crossed my mind. Seemed kind of funny no one mentioned that until you did. I heard a report that there was a 16% growth in the poppy growing industry in Thailand.

May he rest in peace. Hope fully his relatives will be found and informed in as gentle away as possible.

• Like 1

Ifs and buts don't lead to anything. We need to await the final outcome of the BIB before we may indulge in questioning what may have possibly gone wrong at the scene of the 'crime'. wink.png

That's assuming Thai investigators do their job properly and thoroughly.sad.png