Chiang Mai - Hua Lamphong (Train) - Suvarnabhumi

sysardman

Hi, I saw a poster last month doing the same journey but in the reverse direction to mine. What I wondered is if I came from Chiang Mai heading to Hua Lamphong then can I stop off instead at Bang Sue and then go to one of the new Suvarnabhumi connections I've seen at either PhayaThai or Makkasan. Obviously this would save some time by not having to go the full distance into Hua Lamphong.

so you belong to the group of people who have to be told that if train/bus runs A->B, it will most certainly also run B->A? With just a little more brains you would not need to have posted.

More alternatives-if youre 111% train-mad:

get off at Don Muang -cross road by footbridge, use the FREE shuttlebus-exit 8 from arrivals.

If that has just left- citybuses 554 or 55 from the busstop-or also vans 555 from just over inside the taxiroad.

get off at samSen and get a fast motosy to Phyathai-end of ARL.

stay on till HLP-get the ChaChoengsau train till Lad krabang-then the ARL-for the real trainbuffs. cheaper too.

so you belong to the group of people who have to be told that if train/bus runs A->B, it will most certainly also run B->A? With just a little more brains you would not need to have posted.

More alternatives-if youre 111% train-mad:

get off at Don Muang -cross road by footbridge, use the FREE shuttlebus-exit 8 from arrivals.

If that has just left- citybuses 554 or 55 from the busstop-or also vans 555 from just over inside the taxiroad.

get off at samSen and get a fast motosy to Phyathai-end of ARL.

stay on till HLP-get the ChaChoengsau train till Lad krabang-then the ARL-for the real trainbuffs. cheaper too.

The person I saw wanted to go from Swampy to Hua Lam to Chiang Mai and got all sorts of runaround answers. I havent been on the CM to BKok to Swampy for a long time and I just wanted if I could stop at Bang Sue now they have all these new rail links that weren't here the last time I went on the Chiang Mai railway. All I wanted was some confirmation instead of some smart ass comment. If can't answer it then button it!!!!!!!!

Good that you made the effort and checked others threads and mentioned the other members query. I always like to help people who have made an effort to do some research first.

Basically, you have 3 easy options. Firstly, you should not that the inbound CM trains are usually late getting in BKK -sometimes 1-2hrs - so alighting in the northern suburbs is a good idea if you have only a few hours before your flight.

1) Easiest and quickest: alight at Bang Sue station, the entry to the MRT station is on the platform south end (note: 100m underpass to station proper). Take the MRT to Phetchaburi station (around 30 baht, 20 mins), walk 300m, 10m to Makkasan Terminal and take the ARL to the airport (35baht, 26 mins). If you have large heavy bags the last interchange will be a slight hassle.

Metro map to give you clear idea: http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx

ARL timetable: http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/

2) Alight at Don Meaung station. Take the enclosed pedestrian overpass directly at the station to Don Meang airport T1 and take the free AOT Airport Shuttle Bus to Swampy (technically one is meant to have a booked flight for this but it seems non travelers also get on). Should take around 45mins-60mins and drops you at the terminal. (See the Bus Shuttle thread in the DM Airport Forum for further info)

3) Alight at Don Meaung , take the above mentioned pedestrian overpass but go down to Vihavadi rd and as Khun asanee mentioned take the BMTA bus 555 or 554 (or minivan 555 is better if you have small luggage) from the bus stop immediately below. Cost will be 36-45baht and bank on 1hr max except in afternoon peak which will be longer. Mini van will be quicker. Note that the buses will drop you at the Transport Terminal.

They are the 3 basic options though many more exist. If you have any queries or need clarification just ask.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do the Airport Express buses still run from Hualamphong train station? If so, that's another option. The schedule I have from a year or so ago shows the AE4 leaving Hualamphong every two hours from 0745 to 2345. No stairs or underground tunnels, just a level stroll through the main terminal toward KFC.

Do the Airport Express buses still run from Hualamphong train station? If so, that's another option. The schedule I have from a year or so ago shows the AE4 leaving Hualamphong every two hours from 0745 to 2345. No stairs or underground tunnels, just a level stroll through the main terminal toward KFC.

Service ended June 1, 2011.

Personally I would get off the train at Bang Sue and get a taxi, assuming I had more than zero bags. You are quite close to the Expressway entrance, and a quick trip to Suvarnabhumi. Schlepping onto the MRT, with its requisite bag checks, buying multiple tickets, and doing the Makkasan shuffle would save some money.

Edited by lomatopo