Cost Of Living In Thailand And Philippines

Maramook

I live in Thailand for now and I'm ready to move to Philippines. Here I spend about $600 per month. I also have a remote job which is paid in dollars. As you know, in Thailand $1 = 30 bant. In Philippines $1 = 40 peso.

So, if Philippines and Thailand are about the same in terms of cost of living, does this mean that I'll be better of in Philippines? At least, I'll have the same as I have here, won't I?

As for me, the biggest advantage would be that English is a spoken language there. As for food, yes, but it's not going to be a big problem.

IMO from personal experience, it is more costly to live there and more problematic.

Harder to get around and everything in general is harder

Where did you live in Philippines?

If you want a certain standard, RP is more expensive. food is more expensive too, even in foodcourts at shopping-malls or so (and rather not discussing the quality of food in the RP)

Condos are more expensive in RP and at a much lower standard.

TH is better when it comes to public transport too.

the main concern for me would be the very RANDOM crime against foreigners. TH has a lot of crime against foreigners too, but it is easier to avoid if you don't lose your common sense. In RP, it can be completely random, even during daytime.

I have lived at both places long enough to judge that.

• Like 1

Where did you live there? Manila is quite dangerous, I agree, I heard about that numerous times. I wonder, are the other places such as Dumagete, Sebu, Palavan, Borokay dangerous as well?

Edited by Maramook

PIs is cheaper for the serious drinker as beers are 50 pesos in most bars, food is more expensive, and it sucks hard in the PIs. Accomodation for the short term is more expensive than Thailand, long term like in an apartment its cheaper.

All over the PIs is cheaper and is my firm second choice to Thailand.

Phils is cheaper in many respects but not as developed as Thailand and as phils is over 7000 islands it does make it harder to travel around too.

Food is not as good as Thai but if u search around there are some good places. As said before beer is very cheap and accom more expensive unless its a long term lease.

Where did you live there? Manila is quite dangerous, I agree, I heard about that numerous times. I wonder, are the other places such as Dumagete, Sebu, Palavan, Borokay dangerous as well?

Cebu is dangerous too. You can be killed in the center of Cebu during nighttime even in good city quarters. You should allways use a taxi. Taxis are very cheap.

Generally imo PI are cheaper than TH, but less compfort, less security. Food not so good, but ok, I don't like Thai food too. Big advantage is that the Philippinos are speaking mostly excellent English. Hotels at same price level, but less quality. People more educated and friendly than Thais. Thais are smiling even when they want to kill you 10 minutes later :). Phillipinos have more temperament. Their way of thinking is bit more European. They are not as lazy like Thais.

• Like 1

I haved lived in Thailand Bangkok for 9 years, I have had a retirement visa, and started to use multi O visa

leaving every 90 days, so I first did trips to Cambodia, then Philippines convieniant flights from bkk to clark

Luzon,

For me I rate Philippines 100 times + better than Thailand, the biggest reason is the easy visa, I have a SRRV

for over 50s cost $10,000 I am English at the time cost was around £6,250 money is kept in a fixed account

earns interest of 2.5%

I have ID card for the SRRV I can come and go as I like no restrictions at all, no signing in every frigging 90 days

just left alone and happy.

The office in Manila who issues the visa, bend over backwards to assist in every way, the forms are simple etc

total opposite of Thai immigration.

If you don't want to because of cost, or under 50 years old, obtaining other visa's are easy, and never refussed,

just renew every 60 days, up to 18 months, then a trip out and back,

if you marry there are two types, a yearly no cost, but have to exit and enter with Wife yearly,

and the full registered one no cost, apart from the admin costs just one time only,

both of the above none of this bolloc*s about money in bank, or monthly income!

I rent a appartment 2 bedrooms unfurnished for 6000 peso per month, water is 229 peso per month, electric is more expensive than Thailand, cost of course depends on person, for me around 1,500 peso per month.

my neighbours are wonderful and helpful extremely friendly, again never experienced that in Thailand.

I live on a small pension very comfortably, food is cheap!!! unlike the others are saying maybe they eat in 5 star restaurants?

I love the food, because of the variation, and I don't have the shit problems as in Thailand, my turds are solid again clap2.gif

everything is written in English, never have misunderstandings, again I must emphasis the fact that every body in my street talks to me, the children are very sweet and polite to me, they are lovely people.

Danger never encounted any, and don't hear of any problems, where as when I read Thai news a foreigner is murdered daily, or lets say strange deaths in Thailand, Bangkok is actually safe, and so is Philippines compared to say Pattaya,

Phuket etc.

my only problem at the moment is trying to sell my condo in Bangkok, trying to sell for one year now, my condo is very nice

and set at low price to sell, but because of overbuild here its a big problem, like Spain!

and I fear if I don't sell before a certain event in the future, I will never sell, because of the bullets and grenades

in Bangkok.

Yes Thailand has a better infrastructure, so what? what counts most is the people in the country,

I will say Thai people are Nationalistic, racists, where as Filipinos are again the opposite, they mix and welcome foriegners,

I hope this helps you Maramook,

and Good Luck mate.

Thanks for your frank and very informative post. It is always good to hear from someone on the ground.

Can I ask in what part of PI you have set up camp and why?

Cebu is dangerous too. You can be killed in the center of Cebu during nighttime even in good city quarters. You should allways use a taxi. Taxis are very cheap.

Generally imo PI are cheaper than TH, but less compfort, less security. Food not so good, but ok, I don't like Thai food too. Big advantage is that the Philippinos are speaking mostly excellent English.

Ok, Manila and Cebu are dangerous. You're wright.

Spoken English is the huge advantage, that is the main reason I'm going to move there.

I haved lived in Thailand Bangkok for 9 years, I have had a retirement visa, and started to use multi O visa

leaving every 90 days, so I first did trips to Cambodia, then Philippines convieniant flights from bkk to clark

Luzon,

For me I rate Philippines 100 times + better than Thailand, the biggest reason is the easy visa, I have a SRRV

for over 50s cost $10,000 I am English at the time cost was around £6,250 money is kept in a fixed account

earns interest of 2.5%

I have ID card for the SRRV I can come and go as I like no restrictions at all, no signing in every frigging 90 days

The office in Manila who issues the visa, bend over backwards to assist in every way, the forms are simple etc

If you don't want to because of cost, or under 50 years old, obtaining other visa's are easy, and never refussed,

if you marry there are two types, a yearly no cost, but have to exit and enter with Wife yearly,

and the full registered one no cost, apart from the admin costs just one time only,

I rent a appartment 2 bedrooms unfurnished for 6000 peso per month, water is 229 peso per month, electric is more expensive than Thailand, cost of course depends on person, for me around 1,500 peso per month.

my neighbours are wonderful and helpful extremely friendly, again never experienced that in Thailand.

I live on a small pension very comfortably, food is cheap!!! unlike the others are saying maybe they eat in 5 star restaurants?

I love the food, because of the variation, and I don't have the shit problems as in Thailand, my turds are solid again clap2.gif

everything is written in English, never have misunderstandings, again I must emphasis the fact that every body in my street talks to me, the children are very sweet and polite to me, they are lovely people.

Danger never encounted any, and don't hear of any problems, where as when I read Thai news a foreigner is murdered daily, or lets say strange deaths in Thailand, Bangkok is actually safe, and so is Philippines compared to say Pattaya,

Phuket etc.

my only problem at the moment is trying to sell my condo in Bangkok, trying to sell for one year now, my condo is very nice

and set at low price to sell, but because of overbuild here its a big problem, like Spain!

and I fear if I don't sell before a certain event in the future, I will never sell, because of the bullets and grenades

in Bangkok.

Yes Thailand has a better infrastructure, so what? what counts most is the people in the country,

I will say Thai people are Nationalistic, racists, where as Filipinos are again the opposite, they mix and welcome foriegners,

and Good Luck mate.

The SSRV visa requires 10,000$ in a fixed term deposit AND 800$ monthly pension.

If there is no pension the deposit increases to 20,000$.

Correct me if I have it wrong...

You have it wrong

Hello Phronesis,

sorry for delay,

I now am living in Angeles Pampanga, first reason is because as I said the flights from Bangkok to Clark airport

Luzon, flying with Cebu Pacific, but next flight will be with Tiger airways,

at first it was a case of convenience 3 hr flight 15 mins to town, and I stayed different hotels,

then come back and get another 90 days in Thailand.

Angeles is a bar area, from the days when the Americans had a base at Clark airport, and near by Subic bay

so great for the guys who like night life, like me! again big difference in attitude and costs versis Thailand,

so renting is better than cost of hotels for now.

my opion is Angeles is safer than Pattaya, oooh and so much cheaper.

When I sell my condo in Bangkok, I will travel around other places and see if I can beat Angeles,

but Angeles is good because with bars comes other amenities many foriegn restaurants, shopping malls, good hospitals etc

every expat I speak to like me has done there apprentiship in Thailand, then moved to a more friendly place smile.png

• Like 2

Luzon,

earns interest of 2.5%

Phuket etc.

in Bangkok.

and Good Luck mate.

The SSRV visa requires 10,000$ in a fixed term deposit AND 800$ monthly pension.

you are correct Sir.

Hello Phronesis,

sorry for delay,

I now am living in Angeles Pampanga, first reason is because as I said the flights from Bangkok to Clark airport

at first it was a case of convenience 3 hr flight 15 mins to town, and I stayed different hotels,

Angeles is a bar area, from the days when the Americans had a base at Clark airport, and near by Subic bay

so great for the guys who like night life, like me! again big difference in attitude and costs versis Thailand,

When I sell my condo in Bangkok, I will travel around other places and see if I can beat Angeles,

but Angeles is good because with bars comes other amenities many foriegn restaurants, shopping malls, good hospitals etc

every expat I speak to like me has done there apprentiship in Thailand, then moved to a more friendly place smile.png

Thanks for that.

What is the availability of the internet like?

Luzon,

earns interest of 2.5%

Phuket etc.

in Bangkok.

and Good Luck mate.

you are correct Sir.

but you only have to show that you have income for $800 once only when you join, not yearly Sir,

and a very simple medical, after joining you never have to sign in again, also you may use the $10000

to purchase property, but then there will be a tax to pay, but the option is there, being they are more flexible.

Hello Phronesis,

sorry for delay,

Thanks for that.

What is the availability of the internet like?

internet is available in the Cities good in Angeles, you can have a cable TV and internet package for 1,500 peso

per month., plenty of internet shops around also

No need for any guessing or doubt about the current rules for the retirement program there:

http://www.pra.gov.p..._program?page=1

There is no doubt the Philippines WELCOMING retirement offering is very superior to Thailand's offering.

I rather liked Cebu and wonder if it would really be so dangerous to live there if you lived in a secure building and used taxis.

I'd like to check out Baguio and even Davao City.

Edited by Jingthing

the dude was always under the impression that cost of living in poor countries was less than the usa because exchange rates yield so much of said poor countries currency when a US clam is exchanged. The dude posed this to his guatemalan worker in the 90s. said worker told the dude that costs were the same in both countries. same could be said in general when comparing thai and pi the dude thinks. dig?

How hard is it to learn Filipino??

Really hard as that isn't a language. coffee1.gif

Thanks Jing for picking me up on that.

I will rephrase my question.

What is the national language of the Philippines and how hard is it to learn?

there is more than one, but for communication mostly Tagalog is spoken easier than Thai,