Obtaining Refund Of Tax Withheld On Thai Bank Fixed Savings Account

Just to be precise, the form is khor 10 as in khor khwai.

You can download and print it here.

Form khor 10

For some strange reason the official filled out a full tax return for me. Now I realise that was not necessary.

Probably at less two forms, the form 10 and form 90 achieve the same goal although using the form 90 seems more complicated. Probably not complicated at all to a tax office official who accomplishes/assists people accomplish many every day but for someone who really ain't got a clue nor can read/write Thai (like me) about Thai tax forms completing a simple one page form like the Khor 10 form which is mostly your name & address with how much of a withholding tax refund you are applying for makes me feel more comfortable than completing a form used for a complete tax return. Guess it boils down to whatever your local tax office prefers to use.

Just to be precise, the form is khor 10 as in khor khwai.

You can download and print it here.

Form khor 10

For some strange reason the official filled out a full tax return for me. Now I realise that was not necessary.

Probably at less two forms, the form 10 and form 90 achieve the same goal although using the form 90 seems more complicated. Probably not complicated at all to a tax office official who accomplishes/assists people accomplish many every day but for someone who really ain't got a clue nor can read/write Thai (like me) about Thai tax forms completing a simple one page form like the Khor 10 form which is mostly your name & address with how much of a withholding tax refund you are applying for makes me feel more comfortable than completing a form used for a complete tax return. Guess it boils down to whatever your local tax office prefers to use.

There is a similar thing in the UK.

There is a fairly simple repayment claim form and then there is a full tax return. They basically ask for the same information but the tax return is longer, more complicated and has more in the form of guidance notes.

Next year I will do it myself and just print off the khor 10 now that I know it is the required form.

As FYI to explain the easy/fast/painless entries on the Kor 10 form if your tax revenue office uses the Kor 10:

Block 1 is just your full name as shown on your passport. There was no entry in the first set of boxes and the tax office entered some number in the second set of boxes...this number was not my passport number nor my tax ID number...really don't know what the number was...maybe it was the ID of the particular tax revenue office I used.

Above where I talk about "some number" they used in Block 1, well, tonight I realized that was that number was.....it was my 13 digit ID number from my Yellow Book....don't know why I hadn't figured that out earlier...must be getting old. Not my tax ID number (I got that issued later), but my ID number from my Yellow Book. Expect for a Thai national they would enter their 13 digit Thai ID card number. Remember, you don't need a Yellow Book to get a refund....I just happen to have a Yellow Book and take it along/provide copies when dealing with govt offices, opening accounts, etc., since it seems to make the folks more comfortable dealing with you. Just FYI since I just figured out what that number was...if you don't have a Yellow Book or Thai ID card they would just leave it blank I expect.

Edited by Pib

I know the protesters went to shut down the revenue offices a week ago or so, but since then I have gone to the Times Square branch (Sukhumvit near Asok) and it is always closed. Does anyone know if all the revenue offices are closed indefinitely now? Would like to go drop off my tax documents whenever possible.

I know the protesters went to shut down the revenue offices a week ago or so, but since then I have gone to the Times Square branch (Sukhumvit near Asok) and it is always closed. Does anyone know if all the revenue offices are closed indefinitely now? Would like to go drop off my tax documents whenever possible.

Use the link in post 81 above to find another office close to you. Maybe the Times Square branch has just temporarily relocated due to the protests. I expect the great majority of tax offices in Bangkok are still open as normal since when considering Bangkok as a whole the protest area is not that large.

My refund cheque arrived today, ten days after I filed, whee! Pretty good service I reckon.

Definitely faster than my office...last year they took 6 weeks to issue the refund....this year I filed on 6 Jan and it's now 24 Jan which means it's been 18 days already. Oh well, my office is one of the tax offices here in Bangkok which services a BIG population and they probably just take longer...protests may be impacting them also although there have been no protests in my part of western Bangkok.

My refund cheque arrived today, ten days after I filed, whee! Pretty good service I reckon.

Definitely faster than my office...last year they took 6 weeks to issue the refund....this year I filed on 6 Jan and it's now 24 Jan which means it's been 18 days already. Oh well, my office is one of the tax offices here in Bangkok which services a BIG population and they probably just take longer...protests may be impacting them also although there have been no protests in my part of western Bangkok.

over the past 3yrs.we have had ours within 10-14days,filed on the 6 jan we have been waiting for ours,well yesterday I got a letter requesting information that they have had but it has been misplaced.i call it aggravation and incompetence.they have given my wife the runaround for 2full days and still not finished.before we put all the details on here she wants to wait till the check arrives.as this gov.are skint this is one way of not paying out ask the rice farmers.

has anybody else had some shoddy service.

over the past 3yrs.we have had ours within 10-14days,filed on the 6 jan we have been waiting for ours,well yesterday I got a letter requesting information that they have had but it has been misplaced.i call it aggravation and incompetence.they have given my wife the runaround for 2full days and still not finished.before we put all the details on here she wants to wait till the check arrives.as this gov.are skint this is one way of not paying out ask the rice farmers.

has anybody else had some shoddy service.

Probably just your tax office...kinda like how my tax office is slow. Like I mentioned in my post #27 from last year's return the Thai wife and I did two follower-up visits to our local tax office after the refund hadn't occurred in within four weeks. Each of the follow-up visits didn't give me any indication they were intentionally delaying processing of payment...each time their response and what I personally saw in the office just seemed like they have a very big workload and slow. At my tax office here in western Bangkok they have rooms with dozens and dozens of folks with half meter high stacks of paper on each desk...just appears they have a LOT of workload...and no doubt some of the workers are just slow. This year I won't pay any visit until the six week point, but hopefully my check will arrive before then. As of yesterday, it still hasn't arrived which makes it 22 days since I filed. I'm hoping maybe they are waiting until the end of the month to cut refund checks and its not a govt cash flow problem...and maybe the first part of Feb the check will show up...I can hope....but I won't start any follow-ups until mid Feb.

Edited by Pib

the info.they asked for yesterday[by the main rev.office] was what the other office failed to send them submitted on 6th jan.

so yesterday the wife faxed them what they wanted and phoned them to confirm they got it,no was the reply only half of it readable,three times she tried to fax them,from 3different fax machines no luck.ok no problem I will bring it in today the info that you are unable to read.so 8.30 she arrives at the main rev.dept.only to be told by the person that sent the letter out and spoke with my wife sorry I forgot I need,this,this and this.how she keeps her cool is behond me.so today at 1pm she got a call to confirm every thing is in order,cheque will arrive within 15 days.

this could be one for cm. yesterday at the tax.rev.dept.the wife was told,

as I am over 65 my personel allowance on income earned is 190,000bht.

hers is 150,000bht.

when fileing for a refund do not file in joint names but separate as we would only get 1 of the allowances not the 2 added together.

is this true?

hers is 150,000bht.

when fileing for a refund do not file in joint names but separate as we would only get 1 of the allowances not the 2 added together.

is this true?

I believe it is, my understanding is that people over 65 have an additional allowance which is why many of us (the younger guys) can't open certain tax free savings products that have been constructed to take advantage of this - CIMB has such a product currently and I'm, ahem, too young to open one.

hers is 150,000bht.

is this true?

I believe it is, my understanding is that people over 65 have an additional allowance which is why many of us (the younger guys) can't open certain tax free savings products that have been constructed to take advantage of this - CIMB has such a product currently and I'm, ahem, too young to open one. See point 5 in the table attached:

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-taxes/thailand-taxes-introduction-to-personal-income-tax.html

• Like 1

When filing for the refund using a Kor 10 form the question of allowances, deductions, etc., doesn't come into play...very simple form...but as mentioned before it will depend on your local tax office as to which form they will require you to file to obtain the withholding tax refund. So far my office has only required the Kor 10. But I can understand when filling for a refund exceeding x-amount a standard tax return may have to be completed regardless of which tax office a person uses.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

My refund check showed up today/3 Feb...I filed on 6 Jan...if I counted right that's 28 days/4 weeks. I'm in Bangkok.

Got my refund in under 3 weeks.

Question:

Where you have submitted claims for more than one year, do they come separately or as one cheque or as two cheques in the same envelope? I am interested to hear others' experiences.

• 1 month later...

I got my cheque yesterday it took over 2 months this time ,if anyone went to Banglamung i found out that they had hung on to all the claims untill 24 feb before sending them off,so in my case thats why its taken far longer than normal ,lazy sods.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my tax statements from Bangkok Bank and I'd like to apply for my refund.

My concern is showing residency, if that's needed. I'm here on a visa on arrival. I don't have my yellow book yet because the house isn't finished yet.

Can I still file? What is a residency certificate and can I get one?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My concern is showing residency, if that's needed. I'm here on a visa on arrival. I don't have my yellow book yet because the house isn't finished yet.

first your too late to file for yr.jan2013-dec2013.deadline for claims end 31st.march.but you can claim back 3yrs.next yr.

but you need proof of residence from immigration,passport showing your visa status,your tax certificates and pass books,then you need to register at your local tax office.

Edited by meatboy

first your too late to file for yr.jan2013-dec2013.deadline for claims end 31st.march.but you can claim back 3yrs.next yr.

but you need proof of residence from immigration,passport showing your visa status,your tax certificates and pass books,then you need to register at your local tax office.

I thought I could still file but had to pay the 200 baht fine

I am not sure of the cutoff date, but Mike45 is probably correct. However I filed and got mine back this year in Bangkok and I wasn't required to have a proof of residence from immigration, I only had a few receipts of bills in my name and address. However as you probably know different locations and offices require differently here, very common. The 200 baht fine will be for the years you file late next year, so there will be no fine for 2014 but if you file for three years back you will pay a 200 baht fine for 2013 and 2012 each. I filed mine in Bangkok at the Patumwan office which is Area 3 at the Intersection of Rama1 Road and Bantadtong Road. Their phone is 02-2145347-9 #106,108.

I am not sure of the cutoff date, but Mike45 is probably correct. However I filed and got mine back this year in Bangkok and I wasn't required to have a proof of residence from immigration, I only had a few receipts of bills in my name and address. However as you probably know different locations and offices require differently here, very common. The 200 baht fine will be for the years you file late next year, so there will be no fine for 2014 but if you file for three years back you will pay a 200 baht fine for 2013 and 2012 each. I filed mine in Bangkok at the Patumwan office which is Area 3 at the Intersection of Rama1 Road and Bantadtong Road. Their phone is 02-2145347-9 #106,108.
I went to the tax office today. They said today was the last day. Unfortunately they said I had to go to my local area to get issued a tax # before they could accept my application. I couldn't get it today. I was told to get it tomorrow and come back and pay 200 baht and they will process my application.

We will see.

• Like 1

I went to the tax office today. They said today was the last day. Unfortunately they said I had to go to my local area to get issued a tax # before they could accept my application. I couldn't get it today. I was told to get it tomorrow and come back and pay 200 baht and they will process my application.

We will see.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appeveryone

Success!

After going to the tax office I was instructed to go to I was told my area had been reassigned to yet another tax district.

Went there. Got my tax number. Paid my 200 baht. Filed my return. Was told to return after Songkran for my tax card. Told to wait approximately two months for the mail.

I want to thank everyone that contributed to this topic I couldn't have done it or even known about it without you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today (May 6th) I received my tax refund aka the return of taxes withheld from my savings deposit .

I filed for the refund on the last week of March (2014) at the government center in ChiangMai. The people there were very helpful even though I didn't know what the process was or how to speak or write in Thai. They gave me a tax ID card and then went on to processed my claim.

Thank you TV for the information and thank you Thailand for the speedy return of the $$$...

Today (May 6th) I received my tax refund aka the return of taxes withheld from my savings deposit .

I filed for the refund on the last week of March (2014) at the government center in ChiangMai. The people there were very helpful even though I didn't know what the process was or how to speak or write in Thai. They gave me a tax ID card and then went on to processed my claim.

Thank you TV for the information and thank you Thailand for the speedy return of the $$$...

don't forget next yr.take some cake's with you,they love a jammy donut with their tea.

the cheque will be in the post[10days]

• 2 weeks later...
Any one try doing this in Hua Hin?

Well we went along to the Tax Office this afternoon armed with the completed form from Bangkok Bank my UK passport and yellow house book, we were dealt with by a not very friendly man who immediately said you have to pay tax on your income you bring in from the UK to live on here in Thailand and that they can backdate the tax from when you started to live in Thailand!

I am here on a retirement extension and my only income is from my UK Government pension and a few small investments, I do not get the state pension as yet, as I am only 55.

After the initial talk with this gentleman a young woman came and took us to one side and explained to my Thai wife in great detail about getting a Thai tax number and paying Thai tax, but anyway the upshot of it all is she said just do not try to claim the tax back that was deducted from the interest in the Thai bank account, so fortunately they did not copy any of my details or my passport so we quickly said thank you very much and made a quick exit!

Has anyone else had this experience at Hua Hin Tax Office? from what I remember reading last year claiming the tax back was a painless experience.

I know its not large amounts of money but if I am entitled to it then I would rather it be in my pocket than the revenue departments.

This gentleman also said tax is due on all your money, no mention of a zero rate of tax on the first 100,000 baht of income!!

Maybe I am mistaken about the whole thing but I do remember reading about just how straight forward it is.....

So if anyone else is thinking of going to the tax office beware, it could open up a whole can of unwanted worms all for the sake of several thousand baht.

The tax laws are very clear and from experience they are applied uniformly everywhere in the country hence, I cannot help believe that you encountered some form of miscommunication. A few points:

Tax is refundable on Fixed Deposit accounts only, not on regular savings;

The first 150k of income is tax free for everyone, the second 150k is taxed at 5% - the tax tables are here; http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

The account name must be yours alone and not in joint names.

Now, if you've heard any different to the above from anyone in Thailand you would be well served to report it to Bangkok.

Any one try doing this in Hua Hin?

Well we went along to the Tax Office this afternoon armed with the completed form from Bangkok Bank my UK passport and yellow house book, we were dealt with by a not very friendly man who immediately said you have to pay tax on your income you bring in from the UK to live on here in Thailand and that they can backdate the tax from when you started to live in Thailand!

I am here on a retirement extension and my only income is from my UK Government pension and a few small investments, I do not get the state pension as yet, as I am only 55.

After the initial talk with this gentleman a young woman came and took us to one side and explained to my Thai wife in great detail about getting a Thai tax number and paying Thai tax, but anyway the upshot of it all is she said just do not try to claim the tax back that was deducted from the interest in the Thai bank account, so fortunately they did not copy any of my details or my passport so we quickly said thank you very much and made a quick exit!

Has anyone else had this experience at Hua Hin Tax Office? from what I remember reading last year claiming the tax back was a painless experience.

I know its not large amounts of money but if I am entitled to it then I would rather it be in my pocket than the revenue departments.

This gentleman also said tax is due on all your money, no mention of a zero rate of tax on the first 100,000 baht of income!!

Maybe I am mistaken about the whole thing but I do remember reading about just how straight forward it is.....

So if anyone else is thinking of going to the tax office beware, it could open up a whole can of unwanted worms all for the sake of several thousand baht.

are you sure you went to the tax office and not the[ office of give me] its either you saw the cleaner or he didn't like the look of you.me and the wife have reclaimed all our tax back the past 4yrs.without any problem or have heard any of the BS that you have been told.

• Like 1