Obtaining Refund Of Tax Withheld On Thai Bank Fixed Savings Account

Several years back when I started the process to get the refund on my fixed account 15% tax withholding the Thai wife and I went to where I thought was the correct tax office was at the district/khet office (i.e., the place where they issue Thai ID cards, get Yellow Books, and other type of stuff) since they also had a "Revenue Collection Office." Well, I'm still not sure exactly what revenue/taxes they collected/managed at this office but one person in the office said we couldn't do a refund...of course my wife is saying well, I guess you can't get the refund. I say no, I can get the refund...something is not right here. We then talked to another person in the office who said we needed to got to another tax office in the district/khet which dealt with income taxes.

Went to that office and as OP for this thread that office had no problem in processing my refund, basically completing the one page refund form, they were super helpful. Have got refunds for two years now. First year I got the refund 6 weeks after filing...second year I got the refund in 4 weeks after filing.

Me thinks there has been a miscommunications. As reflected in many posts, getting a refund of your fixed account tax withholding is easy and pretty fast. Even getting refund up to 3 years back is fast and easy although you will pay a small late filing fine of around 200 baht.

• 4 weeks later...

Received a cheque earlier this week for what was withheld from Fixed Deposits interest and Fixed Rate Bonds ... I have two Fixed Rate Bonds, one for three years and one for ten years.

I claimed late, well into April and got fined 200Baht. The cheque is dated available for paying in this coming Friday. The claim was more straight forward than last year as I already had a Tax number. Last year I claimed back three years, no problem but think I also got a small fine. Next year I'll do it before the end of March.

• Like 1

I need advice regarding claiming tax refund please. If my FD ac is opened in CM, can I claim in Bangkok? If I have to claim in CM, what is the address of the tax dept? Thank you.

As long as you have the interest certs for the accounts then claim where you live. Can't remember what I needed to prove address ... just go the tax office with what you think you need and see what they say.

My local Tax Office Nonthaburi did it all for me ... did take my wife though.

You will also need a copy of the Savings Books ... and take the books.

Tax offices should be quite now ... only 'bad boys' go now ........... 200Baht fine.

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From one of the posts above, it appears that we're allowed to apply for the refund after March 31st of every year, albeit apparently with a small penalty cost. So here it is now, June 26th, and I'm wondering if I can still apply now for 2011, 2012, and 2013 (I wasn't aware of this refund capability until very recently). Does anybody know how long after the January - March period I'm still able to request the refund?

Many thanks for any input!

I expect it's anytime during the year...it's just you'll pay a small fine for late filing. It would be stupid for any tax revenue dept to only accept tax filings only 3 months out of the year, not only for tax revenue purposes but for public service/satisfaction. Just go file.

I expect it's anytime during the year...it's just you'll pay a small fine for late filing. It would be stupid for any tax revenue dept to only accept tax filings only 3 months out of the year, not only for tax revenue purposes but for public service/satisfaction. Just go file.

Many thanks!

I recently managed to apply for tax refund from CM successfully. I was told by the tax officer my cheque will arrive in a month's time. Fingers crossed.

I would like to thank all contributors to this forum for sharing, especially Pib and JAS21 :)

I recently managed to apply for tax refund from CM successfully. I was told by the tax officer my cheque will arrive in a month's time. Fingers crossed.

I would like to thank all contributors to this forum for sharing, especially Pib and JAS21 smile.png

I would like to second your thanks.

I applied back at the end of March at Jomtien and received 2 cheques this week - and I was told 1-2 months but CM may be more efficient wink.png

• Like 1

It's nice to see more farangs taking action to obtain refund of bank interest withheld due to tax like the 15% withholding tax on fixed savings accounts. It's an easy process and the tax office is very helpful....and then usually in 2 to 6 weeks you get your refund check. Yeap, nice to earn higher interest from a fixed savings account and be able to receive every bit of that interest instead of letting the Thai govt keep 15% of the interest earned....that can add up to quite a lot of baht which will feel much better in your pocket.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pib,

I have just been made aware of the tax refund available for time deposits. I have a few questions, hope you can help out.

1) Is the refund available for all foreigners?

Most people's reply here, seems they don't work, so no working income, that's why I have the doubt. If I claim, it would be 2011, 2012, 2013, and in those years, I have working income. However, now I don't. Most of my income now are from dividends of stocks and so on. Also, is there a specific age group? Specific visa status requirement, etc.? What if I only hold a tourist visa now, but I still have residential address and so on, with mails to proof my address?

2) With the tax rate table mentioned. So for example if I had worked during those years with income 1 million per year as example, and roughly 100,000+ in timed deposits interest. I would be in the tax bracket of 25%? Which would mean I am not eligible for this tax refund correct? This tax refund only applies to people with income below say 500,000?

I'll appreciate your explanation. Thank you.

Pib,

I have just been made aware of the tax refund available for time deposits. I have a few questions, hope you can help out.

Most people's reply here, seems they don't work, so no working income, that's why I have the doubt. If I claim, it would be 2011, 2012, 2013, and in those years, I have working income. However, now I don't. Most of my income now are from dividends of stocks and so on. Also, is there a specific age group? Specific visa status requirement, etc.? What if I only hold a tourist visa now, but I still have residential address and so on, with mails to proof my address?

2) With the tax rate table mentioned. So for example if I had worked during those years with income 1 million per year as example, and roughly 100,000+ in timed deposits interest. I would be in the tax bracket of 25%? Which would mean I am not eligible for this tax refund correct? This tax refund only applies to people with income below say 500,000?

for any income you earn in Thailand you have an allowance of 150,000bht.after that its as per.table.

eg.150k-300k =5% tax and so on up the scale.so for reclaiming 2011,2012,2013 if your income here is over 150k.yearly you owe them money.as for your status,going on my stats.u need a perminant address,with visa status,so its a letter from immigration to prove this,your passport,and all copies and original tax receipts,any interest from tax withheld by the bank plus certificates from them showing how much has been withheld,and the pass books.i think that's about it although you have to go and register at the tax office where you live,but saying all that I am sure you wont qualify if your on a tourist visa,and also if you havnt got a work permit.DONT DO NOWT.

• Like 1

Pib,

Yes, it's available to everyone...just because you are a foreigner makes no difference. In my case I have no other income "derived" from Thailand as I'm retired and all my money comes from home country pensions/savings. So, when I go apply for my refund the only income I have derived from Thailand is the Thai bank savings account interest income.

Now, if you work in Thailand then that working income combined with the savings account interest is looked at as a total...and yes, I guess the extra income earned from interest could put you in the next tax bracket. But since I don't file any Thai income return....I just file for refund of the savings account interest withheld, I really can't speak to the various Thai income tax brackets, credits, deductions, exemptions, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have been doing this for years ,on teusday went into Banglamung tax office ,filled in the form(dont forget to take your letter from the bank saying how much tax you paid ,thanachart do not charge for it) in and out in 15 minutes ,get the cheque usually in 4 weeks or so.

Is it time to file for the tax refund yet? Do we have to wait for a specific date to file?

The normal filing period is Jan thru Mar for a previous year tax...after that time frame you can still file but you will incur a small penalty fee of a couple hundred baht for filing late/outside the normal window.

• 4 weeks later...

Filed my fixed account withholding tax refund request today at my local Bangkok tax revenue office. Since I had over Bt30K interest earned last year I could not file the one page Nor 10 form like previous years, but instead was directed to another section where I had to partially complete a 4 page PND 10 Personal Income Tax form...the form was all in Thai although the version at the link is in English. I just filled in my name, address, phone number, tax ID number at the top of page 1 and waited to be called to see a tax customer service rep.

A rep called my queue number in about 10 minutes, I handed him the form, my passport, bank passbook, and bank letter. He took over from there. He entered the interest info in Section 3 on page two, checked some blocks here and them, I think he made a few entries on page 3, and made some entries on page 4. Only took him about 2 minutes to do all of this...he attached the copies of stuff I gave me, had me sign the tax form, and he signed it. He then directed me to another desk where they took the form and issued me a receipt confirming filing of the tax return. I asked how long for the refund and how would the refund occur. The rep said approx 2 months and by check. Last year it took approx 6 weeks for the check to show up if I remember right..

Summary: Easy and fast.

• 8 months later...

A question for PIB and/or Meatboy. In PIB's original post he makes reference to having to produce your yellow book when applying for a tax return. Here's the problem. I've just returned from my District Office and they claim that I don't need a yellow book, even though my Thai girl friend made them aware of Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act and the 2008 Amendment to the Act. here's my revised question. Am I able to submit a tax refund claim for tax deducted from fixed term deposit bank interest WITHOUT a Yellow Book?

Am I able to submit a tax refund claim for tax deducted from fixed term deposit bank interest WITHOUT a Yellow Book?

I did not need anything apart from my passport and a utility bill to get my taxpayer's ID. With that I file my tax claim for a refund. I have never been asked for any sort of book.

A question for PIB and/or Meatboy. In PIB's original post he makes reference to having to produce your yellow book when applying for a tax return. Here's the problem. I've just returned from my District Office and they claim that I don't need a yellow book, even though my Thai girl friend made them aware of Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act and the 2008 Amendment to the Act. here's my revised question. Am I able to submit a tax refund claim for tax deducted from fixed term deposit bank interest WITHOUT a Yellow Book?

You don't need a Yellow Book. I just happened to show them my Yellow Book and give them a copy; the tax office did not require a Yellow Book to file for the refund.

I was lucky in getting a Yellow Book within weeks of arriving Thailand and pretty much show it when applying for bank accounts, submitting tax refund filing, renewing my drivers license, buying a vehicle, etc. When they see I have a Yellow Book it "seems" (in my opinion) to open doors, smooth whatever I'm trying to do...and when they see it they want a copy of it to include with the paperwork package. Heck when I got my first 5 year drivers licesne they included the Yellow Book number on the license versus my passport number. When I renewed a few months ago they switched back to my passport.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

You don't need a Yellow Book. I just happened to show them my Yellow Book and give them a copy; the tax office did not require a Yellow Book to file for the refund.

I was lucky in getting a Yellow Book within weeks of arriving Thailand and pretty much show it when applying for bank accounts, submitting tax refund filing, renewing my drivers license, buying a vehicle, etc. When they see I have a Yellow Book it "seems" (in my opinion) to open doors, smooth whatever I'm trying to do...and when they see it they want a copy of it to include with the paperwork package. Heck when I got my first 5 year drivers licesne they included the Yellow Book number on the license versus my passport number. When I renewed a few months ago they switched back to my passport.

Thanks PIB. The lease for condo I'm living in is in my girlfriends name, so my name does not appear on any utilities bills. I have the original receipt from Immigration from when my gf registered me as being at this address. I also have a bank statement with my address in Thai and translated to English which has been certified by the branch manager. Would either of these be sufficient when claiming my tax refund?

Thanks PIB. The lease for condo I'm living in is in my girlfriends name, so my name does not appear on any utilities bills. I have the original receipt from Immigration from when my gf registered me as being at this address. I also have a bank statement with my address in Thai and translated to English which has been certified by the branch manager. Would either of these be sufficient when claiming my tax refund?

As far as I know you only need the tax doc you get from your bank saying the tax was withheld plus your passbook showing the withheld tax.

They may just want something to confirm the address they need to send the cheque to. Better to take with you just in case.

Yes, something confirming your "current" address is good, probably needed...they want to confirm the refund check will truly find you.

Where I said having the tax doc from the bank and passport that was focused towards proof the tax was withheld. It's kinda like when doing a retirement extension of stay using the Bt800K in a Thai bank approach...just showing immigraiton the passbook won't hack it...the bank letter is also needed to confirm the amount.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this excellent post, as it's soon tax (refund) time again.

The OP contains detailed steps for obtaining a refund of tax withheld from interest payments on fixed accounts.

For convenience, here's the link to download the Khor 10 form that you need to submit to the Revenue Department in order to claim your refund. This comes from post #90 of this thread:

http://taxclinic.mof.go.th/upload/iblock/1c0/1c0186f78535cd99a63aed3a2fdf4100.pdf

Many thanks to TVF member Pib (the OP) for documenting the process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, hope someone can help me as I have some problem with CM Tax Office with my refund from fixed accounts.

I have given them all the necessary papers : Bankletter saying how tax was deducted, Passbook showing same, Passport with all pages, ID of landlord, Lease of condo, Form 90 filled out with help from Tax.

They still want Tambien Baan and Chanot from my Landlord which she refuse to give.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to filing for my bank interest refund today here at my western Bangkok tax office. For this 2015 tax year they used the one page Kor 10 form since I earned less that Bt30K interest compared to last 2014 tax year when I earned over Bt30K interest and they used the multipage PND 10 form.

Anyway, the office was busy but I only had to wait about 3 minutes to get called as they seemed to handle "farangs" with a little special attention. Set down with the nice tax lady, she had me write in my full name on the Kor 10 form, then she filled out the rest while asking me a few easy questions (it's a very simple form). She took the original bank tax letter, copy of passbook, copy of passport cover page, etc., had me sign the form. Pulled my tax number up in their computer system and there I was. They gave me a receipt for the tax filing and said the check should arrive in around 4 weeks.

This is my fourth straight year filing and previous refund checks arrived around 6 weeks after filing although the first year I filed they sent me a slip instead of a check saying I could come get a "cash" refund at their office which I did. We also chatted a little bit about how long I have been in Thailand, chatted a little about the U.S. since I'm American, in and out the door in approx 15 minutes. The nice tax lady's English was pretty fair and she was definitely helpful and all smiles. A fast, efficient, pleasant experience.

• Like 2

I made my tax reclaim last week at the small tax office in Maejo.

The woman in charge took my tax ID number plus information from my bank tax certificates and set up an online account and entered all the information directly. Five minutes later she printed off the two relevant pages and gave back all the paperwork I had given to her. All done she said, next year there's no need to come into the office because you can make a claim online from home, apparently the system checks electronically for the amount of tax paid and if it tallies with the tax return, issues a refund cheque.

• Like 1

Hi,

I filed for tax refund for 2014 last year in Chiang Mai. After 2 months I didn't receive the cheque, so I called the tax office. Spoke to an officer and was told I have to prove my stay in Thailand was at least 180days a year. That time I wasn't in Thailand and told officer that I will go to their office when I arrive in Chiang Mai. Fact is I couldn't prove the required duration of stay in Thailand. I know my tax refund claim for 2014 will be unsuccessful.

It has since been 6 months now. My questions are:

1. Will I be required to pay income tax for interest earned from my FD? My total interest earned exceeds the tax free allowance. Not only I won't get my refund, yet still have to pay tax?

2. Since I couldn't prove my stay and get my refund, should I still go to the tax office when I reach Chiang Mai? Or should I just let it be?

3. Will I be issued a summon if I don't go to the tax office?

Any kind advice much appreciated.

Thank you.