Has Anyone Exported Their Own Car Back To Blighty

rcalsop

Has any one exported a car from Thailand to the UK ...not new how do you avoid import taxes etc .

Is it ownership for a certain time period , age of the car ????? what are the duties , taxes , regulations .

Has any one exported a car from Thailand to the UK ...not new how do you avoid import taxes etc .

Is it ownership for a certain time period , age of the car ????? what are the duties , taxes , regulations .

For the UK providing you have owned the car over 12 months then there are no import duties to be paid when bringing it into the UK.

To get it registered you have to get a certificate of conformation (I think thats what its called) from the manufacturer if its a model available in the uk. If not it has to be checked out by the DVLA (not sure on that part of the process as I was able to get the certificate from the manufacturer....the only other things I had to do where get the lights converted and the speedo from kmh to mph, but if your bringing it from thailand then you only need worry about getting the speedo recalibrated to mph or replaced).

Hope this helps :o

From memory, and in addition to that above, you can be liable for duty if you subsequently sell your car within 6 months of bringing it in.

Re the km/h to mph conversion - if the car is over a certain age, you don't have to worry about it. I imported what was a 6 year old Honda Beat to the UK from HK back in 2000 (not usually available in the UK - or HK for that matter) and didn't have to do any conversion; a standard MOT was all that was needed to make it road-legal. Miss that car...