Second Tourist Visa - Interview

Hi all,

The gf has applied (at last) for her second tourist visa. She visited the UK last year, no problems. I have supplied all the usual paperwork. She used the drop box at the embassy for this application, but the embassy have asked to see her this week.

Anything abnormal about that? I must admit I wasn't expecting it, and I am starting to worry a bit. :o (She seems remarkably calm about it all).

Cheers,

djmm

In that case, it looks as though she is going to be formally interviewed again.

Providing that her circumstances have not materially altered since the first visa was issued, then it is difficult for the visa officer to refuse the visa; i.e. having accepted her as being a worthy recipient of a visit visa last year, to then turn round and say that, despite her situation being identical, she is not now worthy, is legally indefensible. Barring any material change, the only thing he could justifiably hit her with is the purpose of the visit; i.e. she only visited last year, so why does she wish to visit again, relatively quickly. You girlfriend should, therefore, have an (acceptable) answer to this is case she's asked.

Cheers,

Scouse.

In that case, it looks as though she is going to be formally interviewed again.

Providing that her circumstances have not materially altered since the first visa was issued, then it is difficult for the visa officer to refuse the visa; i.e. having accepted her as being a worthy recipient of a visit visa last year, to then turn round and say that, despite her situation being identical, she is not now worthy, is legally indefensible. Barring any material change, the only thing he could justifiably hit her with is the purpose of the visit; i.e. she only visited last year, so why does she wish to visit again, relatively quickly. You girlfriend should, therefore, have an (acceptable) answer to this is case she's asked.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Scouse,

Is visiting the UK a whole year after a prior visit going to be viewed as a quick return? That seems a bit unreasonable.

Silomfan,

The gf returned to Thailand last year after visiting the UK, so I hope the "reason to return" question has already been answered satisfactorily.

Cheers,

djmm

Sorry, djmm, it seems like only yesterday. Is it really that long?

Have her circumstances dramatically changed since the last visa was issued? If not, all she needs to do is state the obvious to the visa officer, that her situation is the same and she has already visited the UK and abided by the conditions imposed upon her. Perhaps a letter from you to the visa officer stating this would also be of assistance.

Scouse.

It sounds, on balance , that you should be ok if nothing has changed , but be aware that this forum is littered with posts by people who have already been to the UK without problem , yet encounter a difficult ECO who refuses the second time . It probably won't happen to you , just be aware it can and so take extra care with your preparations.

SILOMFAN

Sorry, djmm, it seems like only yesterday. Is it really that long?

Have her circumstances dramatically changed since the last visa was issued? If not, all she needs to do is state the obvious to the visa officer, that her situation is the same and she has already visited the UK and abided by the conditions imposed upon her. Perhaps a letter from you to the visa officer stating this would also be of assistance.

Scouse.

Scouse,

Time sure flies!

I have supplied a covering letter for the application, explaining that both our circumstances are identical to last year. I also explained that she had visited the UK (there are photos to prove it, she has a visa reference, etc), and has no intention of staying for good, etc.

I am actually hoping that the gf has misunderstood and the embassy just want a short chat because I can see no reason to make her jump through hoops again.

Cheers,

djmm

..... I can see no reason to make her jump through hoops again.

Exactly! Unless there has been a change in her circs, there is no point. Is it feasible that the embassy phoned her to come and collect her passport at a given time, complete with visa?

Scouse.

The embassy don't have the paperwork. I have now found out who does - an agency!

I told the gf not to use an agency (I have no idea what useful function they could perform), so she goes ahead and uses one anyway :o . She is meeting them at the embassy to retrieve the paperwork and then attend the interview. I don't even know at what point they got hold of the documents. Can these guys mess the process up?

djmm

If the application has not yet been lodged, then get everything back from the agency and ask your g/f to do it herself. There is no reason to think that she shouldn't get the visa, so I don't see of what benefit an agency can be.

If the agency has lodged the application, it is possible that the visa officer will wonder why your g/f has instructed an agency when she could fulfil such a simple task herself.

I was a little concerned when you said that she'd been called in for interview, despite having previously successfully visited the UK. Now it would appear that the agency is insisting upon her sitting a mock interview, for which there should be no need as her application (all things being equal) should be determined on the papers alone. Providing you are happy with the documentation submitted, I would wager that an agency will have nothing to add.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Who completed the application form - your g/f or the agency? If the latter, <deleted> have they written on it?

Scouse.

If the application has not yet been lodged, then get everything back from the agency and ask your g/f to do it herself. There is no reason to think that she shouldn't get the visa, so I don't see of what benefit an agency can be.

If the agency has lodged the application, it is possible that the visa officer will wonder why your g/f has instructed an agency when she could fulfil such a simple task herself.

I was a little concerned when you said that she'd been called in for interview, despite having previously successfully visited the UK. Now it would appear that the agency is insisting upon her sitting a mock interview, for which there should be no need as her application (all things being equal) should be determined on the papers alone. Providing you are happy with the documentation submitted, I would wager that an agency will have nothing to add.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Who completed the application form - your g/f or the agency? If the latter, <deleted> have they written on it?

Scouse.

Scouse,

I couldn't agree more.

I filled in most of the application form. She added her photo and signature. I have supplied sponsorship documentation and covering note. Everything is in order. No need to involve anyone else.

I am certain an agency cannot be of benefit, but I also suspect they can <deleted> things up.

I have asked her to take the documents off the agency, tell them to <deleted> off, and present herself at the visa window at the embassy (I'll settle for 2 out of 3). :o

I don't know anything about a mock interview. I hope that is not the case. She doesn't need "coaching" for this.

Cheers,

djmm

I don't know anything about a mock interview.

Sorry, that's just an inference I got when quickly reading your previous post.

It does sound as if all is not lost. Ask your g/f to do as you suggest (including option 2) and things should go swimmingly. In a situation such as this there is no need whatsoever for the involvement of an agency. Indeed, their "interference" could possibly put a spanner in the works, as the visa officer would wonder why, in such a straighforward matter, your g/f has instructed them. They might also give her incorrect advice.

Scouse.

Result!! :D

The gf got the documents off the agency and presented herself at the embassy She had to sit through another (long ?) interview (about 20 minutes, she thinks), which seemed to cover the same ground as last year's, but they did grant her another visitor visa.

She seems less put out by the whole process than I am, but we are well happy with the result. (The only downside is that she will now be reverting to shopping mode. Apparently she still doesn't have enough cold weather clothes! :o )

As ever, thanks for all your help, Scouse. Much appreciated.

One more thing: she picks up the visa next week. She forgot to ask them to post-date it to late March. Is there any way she can now intervene and change the start date of the visa?

And best of luck to anyone else going through this (still bl**dy stressful) process. :D

Cheers,

djmm

Congrats.

Was the problem the ECO wanting to know why she had used an agency for this straightforward application?

Unfortunately if she wanted the visa postdated she should have said so at the time. I don't think she can change it now, but as she hasn't collected it yet it's worth a phone call to find out.

Congrats.

Was the problem the ECO wanting to know why she had used an agency for this straightforward application?

Thanks. I don't know the reason why. I'll try to get more info out of the gf, but I already have my suspicions about the wisdom of involving an agency.

Unfortunately if she wanted the visa postdated she should have said so at the time. I don't think she can change it now, but as she hasn't collected it yet it's worth a phone call to find out.

Yes, you are probably right. It's not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to maximise the available time allowed.

Cheers.

djmm

Well done! If your g/f catches them before they actually print off the visa, she might be able to convince them to post-date the validity.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks.

That sounds promising. Could she phone the embassy about it?

Cheers,

djmm

There will be a reference number but your g/f won't necessarily know it. If she wants to check, it should be written on the receipt for the visa fee. Failing that, she should give her name spelt as it appears in her passport.

If you wish to telephone, just explain that you've got a job lined up for her, but it doesn't start until April.......

Scouse.