Government Blocking Rural Public From Tv Information Flow

george

Senator:Government blocking rural public from TV information flow

BANGKOK: -- A senator representing Thailand's northeastern Nakhon Ratchasima Province on Tuesday alleged that government agencies are blocking local residents from political information by forcing cable TV providers to cancel their services despite having subscriptions.

"Such acts will only drive more people to join the upcoming rally against the prime minister," warned the senator, Pichet Pattanachoti.

Mr. Pichet said residents of Chumpuang District and surrounding areas had complained that government officials forced their cable TV providers to disconnect their services to prevent them from seeing the news, as the opposition against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has grown with democratic activists planning the massive rally against him on February 26.

''Villagers were told by their cable TV providers that they have been ordered to disconnect the services by government officials, police and district chiefs,'' he said.

Local people are losing their patience, Sen. Pichit said, as the government has cut them off from media information many times.

"Doing this will push more people to rally to oust the prime minister,'' he cautioned.

--TNA 2006-02-21

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This government censorship also applies to local radio operators serving the communities in their immediate broadcast areas- usually broadcasting with low power transmitters and within the government limits.

It seems that the only ones so far that have been or are being prosecuted are those that are uncomplimentary to the present government.

More shenanigans by these hoodlums masquerading as politicians!

More unnecessary censorship..... BUT THE WORD IS SLOWLY GETTIN OUT!

I'm surprised : i thought it was done long time ago. Already.

I mean : only soap opera, stupid TV games, chinese "movies" etc. etc.

:o

Something I don't understand : why they speak about "cable operators" ?

Anyone can receive public TV stations.

So if its the "cable chanels" with "informations" does it means.... CNN or BBC World ?

I'm surprised : i thought it was done long time ago. Already.

I mean : only soap opera, stupid TV games, chinese "movies" etc. etc.

Something I don't understand : why they speak about "cable operators" ?

Anyone can receive public TV stations.

So if its the "cable chanels" with "informations" does it means.... CNN or BBC World ?

cable channels also include The nation channel and a few others with perhaps more news than just the rubbish with soap opera etc.

But Korean soap opera...that is awesome!!! :D

cable channels also include The nation channel and a few others with perhaps more news than just the rubbish with soap opera etc.

But Korean soap opera...that is awesome!!! :o

OK... Now it's clear.

If we assume that CNN and BBC World don't have so many viewers up country... then the whole story is about blocking Nation Channel, right ?

But Korean soap opera...that is awesome!!! :D

OK... Now it's clear.

If we assume that CNN and BBC World don't have so many viewers up country... then the whole story is about blocking Nation Channel, right ?

Or Korean soap operas :o

Yep, that is part of it, although some of the other news might also carry things too; but yep, your guess is probably 99% of it.

Blocking The Nation, ASTV channels (1-2-3-4-5-6) and a few others that "dare" to criticize this government. There may be other Thai channels doing this as well that I'm not aware of.

Channel News Asia, in english, does good coverage as well. I don't know if they're all listened to much up North .

We've been lucky none of them have been removed from our service as I thought would happen eventually.

One senator makes an allegation and everyone talks like they knew it already!! Why are posters on TV so smart and ahead of the game and the senator is so slow and behind the curve that he is only make "allegations"?

Internet access is part of the answer. For the 90%+ of the population who don`t have access to the net though, it`s tough for them to have as much access to information as we have here.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they relate their personal experiences on this forum. That goes for penzman, colpyat and yourself. So let`s be nice, and appreciate what we can learn from each other on this board.

Edited by tettyan

From the original post:

"Such acts will only drive more people to join the upcoming rally against the prime minister," warned the senator, Pichet Pattanachoti."

If some local cable operator wants to get more people to attend the rally all he has to do is cut people off of their cable and blame the gov't. I don't know for sure if there really are any people who have had their cable dropped because of pressure from the gov't or if they have had their cable dropped as propoganda to encourage them to go joint the rally......I really don't know....there really is not enough evidence given....actually there is no evidence given at all...only an allegation from one senator who stands to gain if ""Such acts will only drive more people to join the upcoming rally against the prime minister," and that senator is Pichet Pattanachoti.

I don't know and I don't think anyone posting here knows either. If I see some facts I'll start to form an opinion. I don't shoot from the hip.

With all the state machinary, the government can always block the airwaves, this is to prevent the news from spreading to the rural poors and uneducated who knew nothing much but to bare hand. If rural folks knew the TRT leader they voted has betrayed them, than Thaksin & the gangs will never have a place to stand. Where is my news:realangry:

Wifey telling me ASTA channels have been absent from Banglamung TV for a couple of days. She though it was just some technical problems (as usual) but it seems they have been bullied into dumping them as well.

Let's hope the population have learned somthing from this when they have to vote again RSN.

Wifey telling me ASTA channels have been absent from Banglamung TV for a couple of days. She though it was just some technical problems (as usual) but it seems they have been bullied into dumping them as well.

Let's hope the population have learned somthing from this when they have to vote again RSN.

Any evidence of bullying?....or just assumptions and rumors....I'd really like to know if there is some bullying going on or if there is something else going on but so far no real evidence has arisen.

Any evidence of bullying?....or just assumptions and rumors....I'd really like to know if there is some bullying going on or if there is something else going on but so far no real evidence has arisen.

We went through this whole routine back in December. The Public Relations Dept (or Propaganda Dept?) of the PM's Office, which regulates provincial cable networks, told provincial governers to order local CATV providers not to carry Sondhi's Lumphini talk show at that time. Many complied out of fear. So yes, we do know that the government has the capability to block this should they choose. I hardly see the logic of CATV providers doing this on their own initiative (you suggested this as a possibility) in order to anger their customers and incite them to join the anti-Thaksin rallies - they're running a business after all, not a political movement. The realistic possibilities behind this are - orders from the top, the initiative of low-level bureaucrats eager to please their bosses, or cable networks self-censoring out of fear.

Edited by tettyan

A senator representing Thailand's northeastern Nakhon Ratchasima Province on Tuesday alleged that government agencies are blocking local residents from political information by forcing cable TV providers to cancel their services despite having subscriptions.
Probably all in preparation for the new election of members of parliament.

--------------

Maestro

We went through this whole routine back in December. The Public Relations Dept (or Propaganda Dept?) of the PM's Office, which regulates provincial cable networks, told provincial governers to order local CATV providers not to carry Sondhi's Lumphini talk show at that time. Many complied out of fear. So yes, we do know that the government has the capability to block this should they choose. I hardly see the logic of CATV providers doing this on their own initiative (you suggested this as a possibility) in order to anger their customers and incite them to join the anti-Thaksin rallies - they're running a business after all, not a political movement. The realistic possibilities behind this are - orders from the top, the initiative of low-level bureaucrats eager to please their bosses, or cable networks self-censoring out of fear.

What topic was it in...I want to take a look. and, by the way, I think you will find that most/all of the people who run businesses as CATV providors are politically connected. All important businesses in Thailand are politically connected...or mafia connected...as if there was much difference.

, by the way, I think you will find that most/all of the people who run businesses as CATV providors are politically connected. All important businesses in Thailand are politically connected...or mafia connected...as if there was much difference.

I never denied that. But if it's true, then what do local CATV operators have to gain by cutting off Sondhi's programs for the purposed of inciting more people to join the anti-government movement? Seem to me the most logical explanation for their actions is either official pressure or self-censorship.

, by the way, I think you will find that most/all of the people who run businesses as CATV providors are politically connected. All important businesses in Thailand are politically connected...or mafia connected...as if there was much difference.

I never denied that. But if it's true, then what do local CATV operators have to gain by cutting off Sondhi's programs for the purposed of inciting more people to join the anti-government movement? Seem to me the most logical explanation for their actions is either official pressure or self-censorship.

I'm trying to find some kind of evidence to support the view that the gov't pressured people. You mentioned having gone throught this before...I'm wanting to read about it to see if there is actually any evidence of gov't bullying. Do you know what topic it was in? So far there has been an allegation made by one senator...that's all....no evidence......unlike many people, I do not draw my opinions and work them all the way to conclusion based solely on allegation and especially not on an allegation made by one politician.

From the original post:

"Such acts will only drive more people to join the upcoming rally against the prime minister," warned the senator, Pichet Pattanachoti."

If some local cable operator wants to get more people to attend the rally all he has to do is cut people off of their cable and blame the gov't. I don't know for sure if there really are any people who have had their cable dropped because of pressure from the gov't or if they have had their cable dropped as propoganda to encourage them to go joint the rally......I really don't know....there really is not enough evidence given....actually there is no evidence given at all...only an allegation from one senator who stands to gain if ""Such acts will only drive more people to join the upcoming rally against the prime minister," and that senator is Pichet Pattanachoti.

I don't know and I don't think anyone posting here knows either. If I see some facts I'll start to form an opinion. I don't shoot from the hip.

The PTV cable company is owned by a judge in Chonburi.

Now, do you still think ASTV broadcasts are removed so that more people join the rally?

I think not. :o My wife now watches ASTV mostly on broadband. She has just asked me to walk over to the living room in order to show me the black screen that's now replacing ASTV...

62 channels and the other 60 have remained undisturbed... Coincidence?

What's the other channel they're screwing with?

The Nation's. For some reason, whenever they are criticizing Thaksin, picture freezes... Especially the evening english news broadcast.

Here's a fine example, coincidentally(?) showing a document concernig Ample Rich.

gallery_6606_126_36068.jpg

TAWP, I wouldn't know. I'm just trying to establish the credibiltiy of the allegation made by one senator....doing this is not a tiresome task at all....in fact I alway enjoy learning more about how the world works....its sort of a life long hobby of mine.

Chownah

Look Chownah - Several people on this forum have spoken from personal experience that the transmission certain cable channels - anti-government news channels, are suddenly being "disrupted". What could possibly explain this? I havn't seen you offer a credible alternative explanation yet.

I firmly believe that toxin (and probably any other PM that Thailand has had or will have in the near past and future) will manipulate the media to whatever extent possible....but I will not accept rumors...I need facts. I'm not sure that you understand this but I don't know how to say it any better to help you understand....first you said that this was all discussed before...so I asked for the reference of where....so where is this information?....or is there some other information? When I ask for facts I get nothing....rumor and innuendo.

I will very willingly agree to the allegations made by the senator if I am given the facts....I don't consider these allegations to be impossible but I will never accept an allegation without substantiation.

Edited by chownah

I will very willingly agree to the allegations made by the senator if I am given the facts....I don't consider these allegations to be impossible but I will never accept an allegation without substantiation.

Perhaps you havn't been reading these posts very carefully. Again, at least two posters here have said that they personally have experienced seeing cable news channels critical of the government interrupted. You have failed to come up with your own explanation of why this is the case. Perhaps the evidence presented by madsere and pezman is anecdotal and the proof at this point isn't beyond reasonable doubt. But how much proof is enough for you? And, (sorry to sound like a broken record) - WHAT ELSE COULD EXPLAIN IT! Unless you come back with your own ideas, I see no point in answering you on this topic.

Edited by tettyan

Perhaps you havn't been reading these posts very carefully. Again, at least two posters here have said that they personally have experienced seeing cable news channels critical of the government interrupted. You have failed to come up with your own explanation of why this is the case. Perhaps the evidence presented by madsere and pezman is anecdotal and the proof at this point isn't beyond reasonable doubt. But how much proof is enough for you? And, (sorry to sound like a broken record) - WHAT ELSE COULD EXPLAIN IT! Unless you come back with your own ideas, I see no point in answering you on this topic.

If you can't come up with some evidence to cofirm the allegation made by the one senator except for the anecdotal evidence of two rabid anti toxin fanatics then please don't answer me on this topic....because if you do not come up with some credible evidence then you are not answering me....you are answering to yourself.

If you can't come up with some evidence to cofirm the allegation made by the one senator except for the anecdotal evidence of two rabid anti toxin fanatics then please don't answer me on this topic....because if you do not come up with some credible evidence then you are not answering me....you are answering to yourself.

When what we want to watch is pulled off the air, not because of violent or sexual content but for political reasons, yes, we become fanatics. :D

The same goes with them stupidly blocking websites that have not sexual or violent content, but political content!

Can anyone deny this one? NO!

If internet websites can be censored, you can bet they're also doint it with tv and radio.