Government Blocking Rural Public From Tv Information Flow

george

I'm trying to find some kind of evidence to support the view that the gov't pressured people.

Thaksin just pressured people to re-elect him, remeber previous elections were only feb 2005

And you want to find some kind of evidence? :o

Chownah, remember Thaksin's words after he lost a by-election last year when he said the constituencies that vote for TRT will get funds first, the others will have to wait?

That's a brazen and blatant threat.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to find some kind of evidence to support the view that the gov't pressured people.

Thaksin just pressured people to re-elect him, remeber previous elections were only feb 2005

And you want to find some kind of evidence? :D

Chownah, remember Thaksin's words after he lost a by-election last year when he said the constituencies that vote for TRT will get funds first, the others will have to wait?

Surely, that's illegal even in Thailand? :o

My statement was made concerning the allegation made by one senator that the gov't had pressured people to have ASTV removed. If you check you will see that the topic is "Government Blocking Rural Public From TV Information Flow." I'm discussing this topic not another. I'm very sure that Toxin has pressured lots of people in the last 5 years...but I'm not talking about anything other than the topic of this thread as stated and explained in the original post.

My statement was made concerning the allegation made by one senator that the gov't had pressured people to have ASTV removed. If you check you will see that the topic is "Government Blocking Rural Public From TV Information Flow." I'm discussing this topic not another. I'm very sure that Toxin has pressured lots of people in the last 5 years...but I'm not talking about anything other than the topic of this thread as stated and explained in the original post.

You are correct, chownah... no one has indeed provided any " hard facts" to back up the current charges of blocking ASTV, but there is the precedent, as posted in the news reports, that CAT openly admitted to blocking ASTV as recently as January.

As for our local situation, they certainly could have dropped ALL the ASTV channels (not one, not two, but all three of them) for some reason other than political reasons, such as increasing viewership. Can't really think of any other non-political reason for doing so. Certainly it's not cost as the channels are all free to them to broadcast.

I was going to say that their reasoning of increasing viewership defies logic as the Chinese soap operas are even worse than the Thai versions and the number of Indians in this community is surpassed by the number of farang. IF the new channels were something that could attract viewers, then their logic would be sound.

I said I was going to say it defied logic because as I was typing this, it struck me that logic has very little to do with the way many things in Thailand are done.

You are correct, chownah... no one has indeed provided any " hard facts" to back up the current charges of blocking ASTV, but there is the precedent, as posted in the news reports, that CAT openly admitted to blocking ASTV as recently as January.

As for our local situation, they certainly could have dropped ALL the ASTV channels (not one, not two, but all three of them) for some reason other than political reasons, such as increasing viewership. Can't really think of any other non-political reason for doing so. Certainly it's not cost as the channels are all free to them to broadcast.

I was going to say that their reasoning of increasing viewership defies logic as the Chinese soap operas are even worse than the Thai versions and the number of Indians in this community is surpassed by the number of farang. IF the new channels were something that could attract viewers, then their logic would be sound.

I said I was going to say it defied logic because as I was typing this, it struck me that logic has very little to do with the way many things in Thailand are done.

I read the new reports you posted on this thread back in post #50. According to those reports, "The government imposed the ban through CAT Telecom Plc on the grounds that the satellite had no licence to operate as a television station." While we both know that the ban was done for political reasons it is also true that if there was no license then the gov't was within their rights to impose the ban...and in fact probably some people would say that the gov't was negligent for not having banned them sooner. I'm relatively sure that Toxin has many experts in the TRT party who are full time looking for ways to harrass and inconvenience the opposition...and likewise the opposition has these people too....that is a big part of what politics is everywhere....I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying that getting rid of Toxin will not get rid of this kind of activity. You are correct, though, there is a precedent of Toxin repressing the media in whatever way he can but I still prefer to get some facts to support each new allegation....I'm very conservative that way.

And thanks for putting those news reports together back in post #50..it filled in some of the gaps in my understanding (or lack of understanding) of what's been going on.

And just between you and me, I would not be sad in the least to see Toxin go, but it is important to me that he be gotten rid of in the right way. For me the money issues are not important...for me the brutalness of the war on drugs and the way the south has been misshandled are the things I can not accept.

*Yawn* chownah...

Still post-hunting with troll-posts?

You are off topic. I am not the topic here. I was responding to someones post. The topic here is "Government Blocking Rural Public From TV Information Flow."

OK, strictly on topic, this Friday Thaksin is speaking at Sanam Luang to justify his actions over the last year. On Saturday the Democrats are holding a rally at Rama V Plaza and on Sunday the PAD are back at Sanam Luang.

Let's see how much coverage each rally is given on the news on Channels 3, 7 and ITV.

I just read that Democrats have cancelled their rally.

Chownah, if i remember correctly that while the government claimed no license on ASTV part, the court has overruled CAT on that occasion.

As usual we'll never know all the details but I don't think most of us are ready to digest all the technicalities anyway.

I read the new reports you posted on this thread back in post #50. According to those reports, "The government imposed the ban through CAT Telecom Plc on the grounds that the satellite had no licence to operate as a television station." While we both know that the ban was done for political reasons it is also true that if there was no license then the gov't was within their rights to impose the ban...and in fact probably some people would say that the gov't was negligent for not having banned them sooner. I'm relatively sure that Toxin has many experts in the TRT party who are full time looking for ways to harrass and inconvenience the opposition...and likewise the opposition has these people too....that is a big part of what politics is everywhere....I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying that getting rid of Toxin will not get rid of this kind of activity. You are correct, though, there is a precedent of Toxin repressing the media in whatever way he can but I still prefer to get some facts to support each new allegation....I'm very conservative that way.

And thanks for putting those news reports together back in post #50..it filled in some of the gaps in my understanding (or lack of understanding) of what's been going on.

And just between you and me, I would not be sad in the least to see Toxin go, but it is important to me that he be gotten rid of in the right way. For me the money issues are not important...for me the brutalness of the war on drugs and the way the south has been misshandled are the things I can not accept.

The premise of blocking ASTV for not having a license was a bogus one, and that's likely why he so easily got the Administrative court to issue an injunction telling CAT to stop the blocking.

It was bogus as the other rationale CAT provided for blocking his website in a different instance, "threat to social order" :o :

Bangkok Post

Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Public Relations Department sent a written document early this week to the Communications Authority of Thailand (CAT), asking it to block web surfers from viewing the Manager website, manager.co.th on the grounds its content was deemed a threat to social order.

or the "security concerns" cited for blocking ASTV's live broadcast from Prince of Songkhla University, which also occured in January:

Dang it, I had the article yesterday, but can't find it now to cite. :D

A current article, March 1 from the BP, provides more details on the present hassling it is receiving as well as information on the routing these broadcasts take.... but it's only coming from the station director and anonymous CAT employees and so lacks the cold hard, irrefutible facts:

Govt 'interfering' with ASTV's signal, Manager website also reports problems

The government is trying to disrupt the operations of Manager Group's ASTV satellite TV channel, according to Pramen Pakdiwapee, the station's director. Mr Pramen says ASTV's internet connections are mysteriously degraded every time it reports important news that could be viewed as anti-government.

ASTV has been the only channel to broadcast live the anti-government rallies since they started on Feb 4 at the Royal Plaza. Before that, it broadcast the Muang Thai Rai Sapda (Thailand Weekly) programme hosted by Manager founder Sondhi Limthongkul after the programme was booted off Channel 9 by the Mass Communication Organisation of Thailand.

ASTV currently has two separate 40 megabytes-per-second links, both with its connection provider.

One link is used to send the seven ASTV channels to a satellite uplink station in Hong Kong and then to the Dutch NSS-6 satellite for broadcast to 20 countries in the Southeast Asian region.

The other goes to Singapore to be uplinked to a satellite for broadcast in the USA and Canada.

Mr Pramen said that while both links are with the same provider, there are always problems with the Hong Kong link while the Singapore link is much more reliable.

''I think the government does not know about the Singapore link or maybe does not care,'' he said.

Mr Pramen said government interference was clear, citing a recent case where ASTV successfully petitioned the Administrative Court for a restraining order preventing CAT from terminating its service as ordered by the Public Relations Department which is under the Prime Minister's Office.

''CAT has in turn pressured our internet and satellite service provider to shut down our connections to both ASTV and Manager,'' he said. ''But staff at CAT have been helpful in trying to ensure ASTV remains on air.''

ASTV cannot uplink to satellites directly as national security laws forbid it, hence the internet link to uplink stations in Hong Kong and Singapore.

ASTV has over one million household subscribers through regional cable partners. They also have streaming servers so that people can watch it over the internet.

''Judging from the feedback we get, 80% of our viewers are in Thailand and 20% are from outside, mainly North America,'' Mr Pramen said.

Asked to comment on allegations that ASTV was little more than an anti-government channel, he said channels 3,5,7,9,11 and ITV are mainly pro-government. ''What we are doing is giving the 10% of people who think differently a chance to express their views and opinions. That is democracy; that is free speech. Even if we give them 80% of the airtime on ASTV, it is still a tiny fraction of the total.''

Meanwhile, Niran Yaowapa, webmaster of the manager.co.th website said authorities have tried various ways to disrupt the website.

In January, access to the manager website was blocked from overseas. Such blocking can only happen at the gateway level (run by CAT Telecom), he said. He dismissed the possibility the servers were overloaded, as traffic was well within normal levels that day.

A source at CAT, speaking on condition of anonymity, said CAT had indeed blocked internet addresses belonging to the Manager and ASTV on Jan 27. However, the manager of the internet exchange Aniruth Hiranraks ordered the ban lifted the same day as soon as he found out, the source said.

This led to CAT acting CEO Phisal Jorphochaudom ordering Mr Aniruth's transfer from the network section on Feb 1. A flurry of protests followed from the media and the CAT labour union and he was soon reinstated.

----------------------------------------

I agree that the best way of getting Thaksin out is through legal channels.

Sriracha john ,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to collect and post that information. I think it is good for people who look at this thread to see a credible restatement of what has been happening in Thailand.... which is that the gov't has been taking broad actions to stifle the voice of the opposition. It also appears that the gov't is trying to cloak there efforts in legitimacey by bringing up issues that are fabrications. Before Toxin was elected did anyone think that he would head a gov't that would do this? Many people would say that yes, they would expect any gov't in Thailand to behave in the same way (this is my view) and many people would say no, they thought that Toxin was not that kind of politician. Regardless, if/when Toxin is gone, how will the Thai people keep this from happening again?.....for me this is the most crucial issue. The past is over but it led to the present conditions....the action in the present will to a great extent determine the future. The focus needs to be on changing the structure of the laws or the attitudes of the people....I think that there is no easy answer to this and I don't think that just ousting Toxin will change anything in this regard.

Chownah

Quick edit: I want to say that I think this is not a problem that arises from one person (Toxin)....I think it arises at the political party level. I don't think that Toxin by himself is the cause of this problem...I think that the dynamic of the political party system in Thailand is such that these actions arise from the collective action of the party from the top to the bottom.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

It's quite amazing. If you can keep the balance of power by a combination of bribes, threats and the control of information to rural Thailand then the situation is basically the same old feudal society it once promised to emerge from. Still this isn't a 1st world vs developing world comparison as Italy probably works in the same way with Berlusconi in charge.

It's quite amazing. If you can keep the balance of power by a combination of bribes, threats and the control of information to rural Thailand then the situation is basically the same old feudal society it once promised to emerge from.

Best quote of the entire combined posts on the matter imho :D

Might not have used those exact words but it sums things up rather nicely.

Your point will be lost on apologists here claiming to be defenders of what is essentially a present day de-mockracy tho :o

Edited by baht&sold

It's quite amazing. If you can keep the balance of power by a combination of bribes, threats and the control of information to rural Thailand then the situation is basically the same old feudal society it once promised to emerge from.

Your point will be lost on apologists here claiming to be defenders of what is essentially a present day de-mockracy tho :o

I'm pretty much in agreement too. One of my major concerns is that since Toxin has shown us the way, it seems that even if he exits the scene, there is nothing keeping the next PM from doing the same.

Well, it's just that other guys in the past, and hopefully in the future, aren't quite so aggressively trying to change things and kill thousands in the process while merely enriching themselves.

Squarehead, get out!

Well, it's just that other guys in the past, and hopefully in the future, aren't quite so aggressively trying to change things and kill thousands in the process while merely enriching themselves.

Squarehead, get out!

Squarehead, get out!

Squarehead, get out!

HOPEFULLY the guys in the future won't be so aggressive? Have you forgotten that this is politics? I think it must be past your bed time or you are past your intoxicant limit or something...I'm having a hard time believing that someone would have any kind of hope that a politician would not be so aggressive in Thai politics....Thai politics has murdered students in the streets in the not so distant past...have you forgotten? Unless something alot more radical than ousting Toxin happens it is pretty much guaranteed that in the future there will be guys as aggressive and brutal as Toxin and many/most of his predecessors.

And I think that the last part of Post #71| (sriracha John's) just above applies to this TV station as well.

(This pic shows a document concerning Ample Rich, the evening news broadcast was then cut off)

gallery_6606_126_36068.jpg

This is getting ridiculous... Does whoever interfere with broadcasts think people are that stupid?

This evening, The Nation was having a poll asking if people were going to attend Thaksin's rally on the 3rd ot the PAD's rally on the 5th.

The Nation's viewers will, of course, most likely choose the 5th.

As you can see on the picture below, the PAD's rally was clearly ahead at 84.4% until someone, again, decided to cut off The Nation's signal...

So ridiculous that when the signal was cut off, whoever is responsible for interefering with the broadcast did not realise that the last bit of feed stays frozen on screen displaying a huge advance for the PAd. :o

There is no doubt that if they have the nerve to do this with stations in and around Bangkok , the media in the rural areas doesn't stand a chance.

gallery_6606_126_21145.jpg

Sriracha john ,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to collect and post that information. I think it is good for people who look at this thread to see a credible restatement of what has been happening in Thailand.... which is that the gov't has been taking broad actions to stifle the voice of the opposition. It also appears that the gov't is trying to cloak there efforts in legitimacey by bringing up issues that are fabrications. Before Toxin was elected did anyone think that he would head a gov't that would do this? Many people would say that yes, they would expect any gov't in Thailand to behave in the same way (this is my view) and many people would say no, they thought that Toxin was not that kind of politician. Regardless, if/when Toxin is gone, how will the Thai people keep this from happening again?.....for me this is the most crucial issue. The past is over but it led to the present conditions....the action in the present will to a great extent determine the future. The focus needs to be on changing the structure of the laws or the attitudes of the people....I think that there is no easy answer to this and I don't think that just ousting Toxin will change anything in this regard.

Chownah

Quick edit: I want to say that I think this is not a problem that arises from one person (Toxin)....I think it arises at the political party level. I don't think that Toxin by himself is the cause of this problem...I think that the dynamic of the political party system in Thailand is such that these actions arise from the collective action of the party from the top to the bottom.

Chownah

Exactly! :o

Village heads and most others takings these actions surely don't receive instructions directly. Most probably do so thinking they'll get promoted or get cash rewards but in the end, they're only damaging the party's reputation regarding freedom of speech.

As for tv and radio broadcasts, that's a different story, I do believe that many times, orders to pull critics off the air come from Thaksin himself. He probably saw what was on The Nation this evening (see my previous post above) and made a phone call...

I'm pretty much in agreement too.

:D

Squarehead, get out!

Squarehead, get out!

HOPEFULLY the guys in the future won't be so aggressive? Have you forgotten that this is politics? I think it must be past your bed time or you are past your intoxicant limit or something...I'm having a hard time believing that someone would have any kind of hope that a politician would not be so aggressive in Thai politics....Thai politics has murdered students in the streets in the not so distant past...have you forgotten? Unless something alot more radical than ousting Toxin happens it is pretty much guaranteed that in the future there will be guys as aggressive and brutal as Toxin and many/most of his predecessors.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree...

'Thai Politics' hasn't killed anyone, in the same way that 'Terrorism' hasn't killed anyone. It is impossible for a concept to kill someone.

People kill people, even though they might do it in the name of a War on Drugs, or a War on Terror.

The point is that political systems have to constantly evolve, and for them to do that, there needs to be a political will.

If people choose pessimism and think 'well, the next guy will probably be as bad, if not worse', then nothing changes. Thankfully, there seems to be an air of optimism around at the moment with a political will for change. This also means that whoever succeeds Toxin will hopefully learn from his mistakes, and realise that no leader is untouchable.

I'm not saying that issues of corruption and graft will disappear overnight, but if each PM is succeeded by a more moral, less corrupt one; even if the improvement is slight, then the country will be moving in the right direction.

Of course, if everyone thought 'hey! Better the Devil you know', then Britain would still rule over their colonies, and the Cold War would never have ended.

Squarehead, get out!

Squarehead, get out!

I'm sorry, I have to disagree...

'Thai Politics' hasn't killed anyone, in the same way that 'Terrorism' hasn't killed anyone. It is impossible for a concept to kill someone.

People kill people, even though they might do it in the name of a War on Drugs, or a War on Terror.

The point is that political systems have to constantly evolve, and for them to do that, there needs to be a political will.

If people choose pessimism and think 'well, the next guy will probably be as bad, if not worse', then nothing changes. Thankfully, there seems to be an air of optimism around at the moment with a political will for change. This also means that whoever succeeds Toxin will hopefully learn from his mistakes, and realise that no leader is untouchable.

I'm not saying that issues of corruption and graft will disappear overnight, but if each PM is succeeded by a more moral, less corrupt one; even if the improvement is slight, then the country will be moving in the right direction.

Of course, if everyone thought 'hey! Better the Devil you know', then Britain would still rule over their colonies, and the Cold War would never have ended.

On the other hand if you do nothing with the system to avoid such problems in the future and you disregard the law of the land which has provisions to cover this and if you ignore the democratically expressed will of the people and you do not want to even go and let the people decide what they want then you are undermining the law of the land and you are undermining the democratic process you are sending signals to politicians that if you can mobilize (or buy) 100,000 people to attend a couple of rallies then you too can be a king maker. Politics in that past has been corrupt and brutal and it is now and it will be again if nothing is done to create change. People thought that Toxin would end the corruption...and they were wrong...and now you think that oustilng Toxin will end corruption...and you are (probably) wrong. If you want to switch to a new corrupt regime I have no problem with that but please do not trash the law of the land, do not reward any politico who can assemble a crowd of 100,000 people by giving said politico enough power to unseat the leagally and democraticly elected head of the gov't.

I lost you here, Chownah.

if you do nothing with the system to avoid such problems in the future and you disregard the law of the land which has provisions to cover this and if you ignore the democratically expressed will of the people

Do nothing with the system? Everyone is talking about constitution amendments, even Taksin himself finally accepted that it should be done one way or another.

Who exactly disregarded the law that has provisions to cover this (I suppose you mean corruption charges)? Not Sondhi or Democrats.

Check and balances mechanisms are built in into Constitution. Unfortunately Taksin got enough senators on his payroll (allegedly, of course, allegedly) so that they filled all independent bodies with his people.

Even so, the conflict of interests - people and agencies that are supposed to investigate tax evasion and secret money trails, are under government control. While they work fairly well on private persons, they have no real power to investigate Taksin. That's why he shouldn't have had any money/stocks stashed away in the first place, and that's why people are outraged that he is able to get away scott free.

Taksin is unlike any other politician. He sold off to Singapore keeping all the profits to himself. Thailand has seen corruption on a grand scale before, but never in my memory they betrayed the country like that. The country has always come first.

Chaonah, by the time you establish all the facts you need to form an opinion, Taksin will be gone and ASTV will be broadcast on Channel 9, then we will know for sure. :o

So far there really isn't much on the way of facts. One cable provider said that they dropped three ASTV channels to make room for three new channels. There are a variety of possible reasons why they did this...but it doesn't seem like they want to talk about it......of course there are many people posting here who THINK they know why but there really is no evidence...it is all speculation at this point. I guess there really aren't any facts known by the posters here that would confirm the allegations made by one senator.

I am glad to see that Chownah has now accepted the evidence brought to us by, among others, SriRacha John?

I just tried to go to the ASTV web-site (I am now in the UK) and received this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

Source Error:

Line 90: objConnection = new SqlConnection(strConnection);

Line 91: objCommand = new SqlCommand(strSQL, objConnection);

Line 92: objCommand.Connection.Open();

Line 93: dr = objCommand.ExecuteReader();

Line 94: return dr;

Source File: D:\www\ASTV\index.cs Line: 92

Stack Trace:

[invalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnection

tring options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +396

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384

MainManage.nonactivequery(String strSQL) in D:\www\ASTV\index.cs:92

ASP.index_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __output, Control parameterContainer) in D:\www\ASTV\Index.aspx:105

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +27

System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +243

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1926

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Something odd going on?

:D

Edited by Greer

This server lingo doesn't mean anything to me.

Please explain.

This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

The manager.co.th website can only handle so many users at once, they have a certain amount of bandwidth to work with. They also have live feeds and streaming media on there. Quite demanding these days with all that's going on.

It's also possible that priority is given to connections from within Thailand.

This server lingo doesn't mean anything to me.

Please explain.

This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

The manager.co.th website can only handle so many users at once, they have a certain amount of bandwidth to work with. They also have live feeds and streaming media on there. Quite demanding these days with all that's going on.

It's also possible that priority is given to connections from within Thailand.

Actually it is a shortage of concurrent connections to a database where the website retrieves its information. Quite common when someone with webbuilding skills tries to use a database server. It is just a setting that is at its low default level.

These errors only appear when a website is used by more people than ever tested. It is a sign more people than normal are accessing this site.

Nothing else.