91 Benzine Gone Already?

illy

It looks like it's gone here in Buriram province as well, at the local PT station in Nang Rong the 2 Benzine 91 pumps were replaced by Benzine 95 ( red sign) there also selling gasohol 95.

I'm a bit surprised by this, is this a better ( higher octane) benzine? i never saw this benzine for sale at a PT station. according to the guy at the pump it's without alchohol, the price was 49,52 a liter.

When it would be "real" benzine 95 i'm happy ( much better for my 2T bikes)

Somebody can confirm this??

Wow, this is fantastic, and I'm also a bit surprised - the key is that one wants to avoid gasohol, and the 91 or 95 octane designation is not important. The gasohol will destroy old motors, particularly the reliable old two-strokes I love, and dissolve any rubber/plastic parts in fuel systems and carburetors.

So far here in Maha Sarakham all the stations still have 91 red benzine. I haven't asked them whether they will continue to have it as I seriously doubt they have any idea.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is fantastic, and I'm also a bit surprised - the key is that one wants to avoid gasohol, and the 91 or 95 octane designation is not important. The gasohol will destroy old motors, particularly the reliable old two-strokes I love, and dissolve any rubber/plastic parts in fuel systems and carburetors.

So far here in Maha Sarakham all the stations still have 91 red benzine. I haven't asked them whether they will continue to have it as I seriously doubt they have any idea.

I doesn't only destroy old motors...it dam_n near wrecked my carb on a 2006 WR450...like a fool I tried some 95 gasohol and it dissolved the gauze filter on the fuel tap which in turn plugged the carb solid...not a happy camper sad.png

Just after my last post I was out and about, and stopping in at my local 'no name' gas station I discovered that in fact they no longer had 91 red benzine, but only 95 benzine and 91 gasohol.

However here was the bizarre thing - the 95 benzine was only 39.9 baht per liter, when 91 benzine had been about 43 or 44 at my last fill-up at PTT (which still had it here as of today).

So, what happened? I asked the gasser-girl repeatedly if it was really benzine, and she insisted it was.. so, what happened? Lower tax?

And do you all believe that 95 benzine will continue, or will it be running out soon?

prices are a bit weird

ive been using gasohol 95 last few months because its a few thb cheaper in one no-name station that gasohol 93

but in every other famous station the higher octane 95 costs a bit more, like in shell or caltex etc

maybe theres a tax break on the 95 to stop the riots while the benzine 91 is being discontinued ?

Just after my last post I was out and about, and stopping in at my local 'no name' gas station I discovered that in fact they no longer had 91 red benzine, but only 95 benzine and 91 gasohol.

However here was the bizarre thing - the 95 benzine was only 39.9 baht per liter, when 91 benzine had been about 43 or 44 at my last fill-up at PTT (which still had it here as of today).

So, what happened? I asked the gasser-girl repeatedly if it was really benzine, and she insisted it was.. so, what happened? Lower tax?

And do you all believe that 95 benzine will continue, or will it be running out soon?

thats the price of 95 gasohol. 95 benzine is almost 50baht. They may have made a price mistake or sold you gasohol.

• Like 1

this is the problem , knowing IF its benzine at all [most of us know it is hard to get a correct answer out of any Thais let alone the politicians]and how long the 95 benzine will last so then there will be NO benzine at all and ALL choice is removed.

Today PTT in Phuket stopped selling benzine 91, the Shell station near Kajonkiat (Kathu) had finished too and they sent my wife to Shell Phuket Town. They still had 91 but told her that it is finished when the tank is finished.

Guess I have same problem as you, ride a HD Nightrod and do not really want to run it with any kind of gasohol. No idea yet where to find benzine 95. When I asked my dealer Sumon from RideThailand what to use in case benzine will no longer available he laughed, said that will never happen - what a dreamer, talks without brainclap2.gif

This is all a bit confusing to say the least

91 Benzine is definately gone from the stations and being replaced with 95 Gasohol

The confusion seems to be the increae in availability of Benzine 95, is this a scam by the stations to rip people off with the 50bltr price when it is in fact also gasohol

I have asked several pump attendants and they insist it is benzine 95, they never had it before

This is all a bit confusing to say the least

91 Benzine is definately gone from the stations and being replaced with 95 Gasohol

The confusion seems to be the increae in availability of Benzine 95, is this a scam by the stations to rip people off with the 50bltr price when it is in fact also gasohol

I have asked several pump attendants and they insist it is benzine 95, they never had it before

That is the governments plan all along. Cut the 91B replace with 95 gasohol. Stations are not allowed to sell 91B but are allowed to sell 95 B

maybe theres a tax break on the 95 to stop the riots while the benzine 91 is being discontinued ?

When 91 disappears from here I'll believe it. http://www.eppo.go.t...ail_prices.html if 95 becomes readily available even better.

Yeah, personally I find the octane numbers dubious and anyway irrelevant to the kind of bikes I drive. But I dread the damage caused by the gasohol. That said, I do know people that claim they run two-strokes on gasohol 10%.

About the Benzine 95 - is this allowed by law while Benzine 91 is banned? That sounds strange/unlikely.

(btw, thanks for the fantastic link there)

Yes, it's getting thinner on the ground now and I'm using Redex more often to lube the cylinders a bit more.

Yes, Redex is expensive. Big C sell it.

What is Redex?

REDEX is UCL upper cylinder lubricant..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

PTT is ramping up production of 95 benzine

Drove from Pattaya to Chiang Mai yesterday and found it all the way, Not every station yet, but not really a problem

Funny you mention that as just yesterday I thought I was noticing Benz 91 at many PTT stations in CM

Maybe it was 95? Is the Red label at PTT 91 or 95

Wow Pattaya to CM that is a pretty good distance

Edited by mania

Drove from Pattaya to Chiang Mai yesterday and found it all the way, Not every station yet, but not really a problem

Funny you mention that as just yesterday I thought I was noticing Benz 91 at many PTT stations in CM

Maybe it was 95? Is the Red label at PTT 91 or 95

Wow Pattaya to CM that is a pretty good distance

Maybe the benzine 95 is for the high performance turbo cars, exotic cars, and super-bikes here in Thailand.

• Like 1

What I find strange in all this is that none of the fuel retailer's website i have looked at have anything on the demise or otherwise of Benzine 91 or 95?

OK it's just a commodity but if white rice was to be phased out in favour of brown wouldn't there be a bit more info?

I would think more likely it is a tankage issue. Some stations have limited storage capacity and with more blends becoming available they have to make a Seven/11-like decision at their location. What will we sell? If E-85 is more popular than straight 91 well... But down the road another retailer of company may see an opportunity for a niche market.

Edited by VocalNeal

keeping the old red pump/filler with a hand written label for the replacement gasohol 95 doesn't help either, with such a big change you'd think they could have done better

what colour is the benzine 95 pump

You know I recently found that stations are not standardized color/pump/fuel type wise

I was really surprised as I thought Gasohol 95 was always the orange pump

but not at Caltex where it is blue.

Just popped into a Regular filling station (PTT before soi 150 Ramkhemheang) to top up with Red 91 and i noticed 4, perhaps 6 of the Gasohol 95 pumps have been switched to 95 Benzene pumps!!!

Benzene is growing in my area :)

Just popped into a Regular filling station (PTT before soi 150 Ramkhemheang) to top up with Red 91 and i noticed 4, perhaps 6 of the Gasohol 95 pumps have been switched to 95 Benzene pumps!!!

Benzene is growing in my area smile.png

hopefully theyre not selling gashol 95 as benzine 95 for 20% more $$$ and hoping nobody will notice .......laugh.png

tbh - the current price for 95 benzene is rediculously high, I cannot see the outlets maintaining this price for long, who's going to buy it, there must come a point (already reached long time ago) were it is a low seller unless the price decreases

two things are going to happen

either the price comes down or demand is so low that it is gone

and if you look at the economics - what's the point of any of it

Fantastic news. I visited PTTs here in the Maha Sarakham area twice today and in both they said 91 Benzine would be finished in a month or so, but assured me they would definitely have 95 Benzine.

The point is a lot of people have old vehicles that would either be ruined or at least rack up lots of costly repairs if they used gasohol in them. Thus, the price would have to go up awfully high to make driving a 5,000 baht Honda Tena more expensive than buying a 50,000 new scooter, or a 50,000 baht 30 year old Toyota more expensive to drive than going out and getting a new 500,000 baht car.

Edited by ClareQuilty

tbh - the current price for 95 benzene is rediculously high, I cannot see the outlets maintaining this price for long, who's going to buy it, there must come a point (already reached long time ago) were it is a low seller unless the price decreases

There are a lot of people that have to or just like to use the higher octane fuel. So there should always be a demand for benzine.

For the motorheads out there.

If gasohol is cheaper than benzine, then alcohol must be cheaper, or not??

If it is cheaper, can we modify the bikes a little and simply run them on the cheaper alcohol, even though we will get less total energy from it?

Any ideas on where to buy alcohol, similar to the alcohol they use in the stations???

Or is this all a government shenanigan?

For the motorheads out there.

If gasohol is cheaper than benzine, then alcohol must be cheaper, or not??

If it is cheaper, can we modify the bikes a little and simply run them on the cheaper alcohol, even though we will get less total energy from it?

Any ideas on where to buy alcohol, similar to the alcohol they use in the stations???

Or is this all a government shenanigan?

try your local liquor shop they usually sell alcohol