American Expat Found Dead In Nong Khai Home

webfact

Dead over NYE how desperately sad?

Problem is we all move here for a better life but in doing so for the most part lose feeling part of a community.

R.I.P Ronnie.

That's probably because so many expats just hang out with other expats, don't bother learning much Thai, and don't make any real effort to integrate into the community. If that's what some one, then that is fine. Maybe Ronnie was happy with that life. But seems no-one cared enough to check up on him, which is a bit of a sad way to end up. RIP Ronnie.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead over NYE how desperately sad?

Problem is we all move here for a better life but in doing so for the most part lose feeling part of a community.

R.I.P Ronnie.

That's probably because so many expats just hang out with other expats, don't bother learning much Thai, and don't make any real effort to integrate into the community. If that's what some one, then that is fine. Maybe Ronnie was happy with that life. But seems no-one cared enough to check up on him, which is a bit of a sad way to end up. RIP Ronnie.

Everyone is different, but on average, the guys who are the same age as his in laws tend to find it hardest to integrate in my experience.

Learn the lingo, learn the culture, find a partner, find a house, buy a car, buy some land, feed the buffalo. So much to do and so little time.

I would recommend anyone to stay single for at least 5 years and learn to speak the lingo.

• Like 2

DEATH OF A U.S. CITIZEN

Death is a difficult experience for one's family and friends no matter where it takes place. When death occurs overseas the experience can be even harder, especially if the procedures involved are not clearly understood.

American Citizen Services (ACS) is ready to assist family and friends in the event of the death of an American Citizen in Thailand. Our services include:

• Finding and notifying the Next-of-Kin of the deceased
  • Acting as a liaison with Thai police, hospital and mortuary authorities
  • Arranging for the disposition and repatriation of remains
  • Coordinating administrative and financial requirements
  • Assisting in the collection and return of personal effects to Next-of-Kin
  • Issuing a "Report of Death of American Citizen Abroad".

Notification of Next-of-Kin

The Thai authorities inform the Embassy upon the death of an American Citizen anywhere in Thailand. We then find the Next-of-Kin of the deceased and contact that person as soon as possible. There are several important things that the Next-of-Kin must do in conjunction with the ACS office. These include:

• Returning a signed and notarized "Affidavit of Next-of-Kin"
  • Choosing method of disposition of remains
  • Arranging payment of mortuary and related expenses in Thailand
  • Arranging return of any personal possessions of the deceased

Affidavit of Next-of-Kin and Letter of Instruction

To act on the family's behalf, the Embassy must have a signed, notarized copy of a document called an “Affidavit of Next-of-Kin.” This form is critical because it shows us who is entitled to make the decisions regarding the deceased. Families should first fax or scan and email us a completed copy, and then mail the original.

Next-of-Kin are established in the following order:

• Spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents

Additionally, Next-of-Kin should fill out and sign a "Letter of Instruction" and fax or scan and email us a copy. This letter will tell us exactly how to handle the deceased's body. You can find blank copies of the affidavit (PDF 38KB)Our fax number is 011-66-2-205-4103 (02-205-4103 from inside of Thailand). Our email is [email protected]

Disposition and Repatriation of Remains

When an American Citizen dies in Thailand, the body is usually preserved until an autopsy can be performed and instructions are received from us or the Next-of-Kin regarding disposition of remains. There are normally two options regarding the disposition of remains:

• Cremation in Thailand and shipment for internment in the U.S. or other location
  • Embalming in Thailand and shipment to U.S. or other location for internment or burial

We work with a funeral home here in Bangkok to ensure that the wishes of the Next-of-Kin are carried out as quickly and professionally as possible. HOWEVER, IN MOST CASES EMBALMING AND MORTUARY SERVICES IN THAILAND FALL FAR SHORT OF THE STANDARD EXPECTED IN THE UNITED STATES. A FUNERAL DIRECTOR IN THE U.S. SHOULD BE CONSULTED TO DETERMINE THE ADVISABILITY OF VIEWING THE REMAINS AND OF CONDUCTING AN OPEN CASKET FUNERAL.

Autopsies

Autopsies are normally performed if the deceased has died outside of a hospital or if the cause of death cannot be determined. Autopsies are performed within twenty-fours after the Thai forensic authorities receive the remains. Full autopsy reports are not available for up to three months after the completion of the examination. Autopsies are normally performed if the deceased has died outside of a hospital or if the cause of death cannot be determined. If an autopsy is not required by Thai authorities, it can often be conducted at the request and expense of the next-of-kin. Autopsies are performed within twenty-fours after the Thai forensic authorities receive the remains. Please note that full autopsy results are not available for up to three months after the completion of the examination, and that the autopsy results will likely fall far short of the standard expected in the United States.

Timing

Because of many factors, it is best not to make unchangeable plans and dates for funeral ceremonies in the United States until we can provide a firm timetable for return of remains. It takes time to perform an autopsy, to embalm or cremate the body, to prepare remains for shipment, and to prepare all the necessary documents.

Normally, it will be at least 7 to 10 days from the date of death to arrival of remains in the United States, longer if the remains are to be cremated and mailed to the U.S.

Financial Arrangements

The deceased's family or legal representative must pay all funeral home expenses and shipping costs of the remains and any personal effects. Families without a personal representative present in Thailand normally set up what is called an Overseas Citizens Services Trust with the Department of State. We use the money in this account to pay expenses on behalf of the deceased. We can coordinate all aspects of mortuary services under this arrangement.

Costs listed below are estimates, based on deaths with no unusual circumstances and should be considered for guidance purposes only.

• To have remains returned to the U.S. for burial, the cost for embalming and air shipment is approximately $5000.
  • The cost for cremation and air shipment of ashes is approximately $1500.

By law, the Department of State cannot carry out instructions on the disposition of the remains until we have received the required funds. There are several methods for sending money to the Department of State to set up an Overseas Citizens Services Trust. See instructions on how to Sending Money to U.S. Citizens Overseas.

There will normally be an interval of at least seven days between receipt of funds and shipment of the remains.

After all the mortuary and shipping expenses have been received and paid, we will conduct an itemized accounting of final costs and refund any balance in the trust by a United States Treasury check.

Return of Personal Effects

The Embassy can, in most circumstances, take charge of personal effects and possessions of the deceased if instructed to do so by the Next-of-Kin. This may not be necessary if the deceased has a friend or family member present in Thailand at the time of death.

We will conduct a thorough inventory of any personal effects and send a copy to the Next-of Kin. We can send the family any items they wish to have returned at their expense through the United States Postal Service at the Embassy. Most families decide to donate items of little sentimental or monetary value (clothing, suitcases, kitchenware, etc.) to a local charity in order to avoid the large expense involved in returning these items to the United States. The Embassy will gladly arrange for this charitable donation on the family's behalf.

In cases where the estate of the deceased exceeds $1000, the Embassy will require more detailed legal documents, such as Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration, prior to releasing money or effects to the Next-of-Kin.

Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad

The “Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad” is an official report, in English, that provides the essential facts concerning the death of a U.S. Citizen. It functions in much the same way as a death certificate issued in the United States and can be used to settle bank accounts, insurance policies and other estate matters.

This report can be issued only after the Thai authorities complete their documentation of the death and takes several weeks to be completed. A minimum of 20 certified copies will be sent to the Next-of-Kin. Families may order additional certified copies from the Department of State for a fee.

Families will thus receive up to three sets of documents from the Embassy:

• 20 copies of "Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad" (free)
  • An original Thai Death Certificate with a translated English copy (at the family's expense)
  • An original Autopsy Report with a translated English copy (at the family's expense, takes 3-4 months to complete)

For more information you may also refer to the Department of State website.

Contact Us

American Citizen Services (ACS)

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Telephone from outside of Thailand: (66) 2-205-4049

Telephone from inside of Thailand: 02-205-4049

Fax: (66) 2-205-4103

E-mail: [email protected]

Home Page

U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai

387 Witchayanond Road, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand

Tel: (66) 53-107-700 ext. 7704 or 7738

Fax: (66) 53-252-633

E-mail: [email protected]

US EMBASSY BANGKOK

http://bangkok.usemb...us-citizen.html

Thanks for the post. Good info to have and to know.

If I was rich, I'd pay for Para to live her just so he could get out as I did. I can't image the kind of crap hole all of the rest of you came from to think Thailand is an up tick. Now, if you come from a really messed up country (fortunately, despite its problems, the US ain't one), then I feel sorry for you too. But if your home country is not messed up, I can't imagine you staying in Thailand for any reason than cheap kittie(synonym), and if that's it, then you are the kind of person who probably doesn't care about community or quality of life anyhow.

And yet, despite all that anti-Thai nonsense, you still went back with a much younger Thai affiance in tow.

Sorry to her about the dead dude, it happens to everyone at some time, hopefully it was quick and his choice to be alone.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is so good about a community feeling? I come from a place where there's not such feeling, and to me it looks fake. I only expect people to be nice but in no way I want to socialize too much with them just because they are my neighbors or things like that instead of for being interesting people.

I just moved to a townhouse and was nicely surprised our neighbour talked to us very friendly. She came back from Chiang Mai after new year eve and brought some oranges for us. Now that is something I appreciate. Specially since I still can not speak much Thai yet. I will definitively bring something to her on our next trip.

Whats good about it is that instead of being happy about 1 person being friendly and bringing you an orange , many people would be doing that ...... People are saying a real sence of comunity is a good thing ....... I don't think a fake sense of comunity is what they were refering to ...... It's like saying a Rolex is a nice watch, and you saying that you bought a fake one and it's a peice of junk ..... not especially relevant to the topic.

You're telling me Para, I once thought I was part of a community, but after some years here that illusion has gone. I now know I'm part of nothing, and I curse the day I ever set foot in this place. If I only knew then what I know now. And the rest of you, don't tell me to go home. I can't anymore, and on top of that, it seems that I've soiled myself. Now if you will all excuse me!

My condolences to Ronnie's friends and family, let's all hope that someone, somewhere has been truly affected by his untimely passing.

Wow, twenty people plus the poster cursing the day they first set foot in Thailand, that's huegly sad.

• Like 1

Gohmer is on to something. My last trip to the US I stopped in to visit friends in Long Beach, a city I never visited before. Having lived in Monterey briefly I do enjoy California in general but this time I could completely see myself living on the left coast and packing up here. Plenty of great places to live in the US that aren't crowded, not as spendy as some things are becoming here. And to Gohmer's point, the quality of life is extremely good in Southern California, plenty of Asian food if you worry about missing somtam and sticky rice. Plenty of outdoor pleasure reasonable weather. California, its the state that has absolutely everything to offer.

See you! Have a nice trap.

-mel

Excuse my ignorance, but what is so good about a community feeling? I come from a place where there's not such feeling, and to me it looks fake. I only expect people to be nice but in no way I want to socialize too much with them just because they are my neighbors or things like that instead of for being interesting people.

I just moved to a townhouse and was nicely surprised our neighbour talked to us very friendly. She came back from Chiang Mai after new year eve and brought some oranges for us. Now that is something I appreciate. Specially since I still can not speak much Thai yet. I will definitively bring something to her on our next trip.

Whats good about it is that instead of being happy about 1 person being friendly and bringing you an orange , many people would be doing that ...... People are saying a real sence of comunity is a good thing ....... I don't think a fake sense of comunity is what they were refering to ...... It's like saying a Rolex is a nice watch, and you saying that you bought a fake one and it's a peice of junk ..... not especially relevant to the topic.

I am so sorry about not being relevant, please let me live.

Back on topic, I think most of that 'real' community is people like to gossip and community is the perfect excuse for peeking on other people's life.

Except for Hawaii, which is far too expensive for my finances, there is no place in the US that I would prefer over Thailand. And even in Hawaii, I would still need to jump through all the regulatory hoops, taxes, investigations (from private credit agencies!), just to subscribe to things like cable tv or get car insurance. Every time you do so much as renew your driver's license, you are scrutinized like a would be terrorist. All the agencies, bureaus, government offices, and taxing authorities, when put together, make Thai immigration (whose notorious inefficiencies have indeed cost me plenty) look like a day at the beach in comparison.

• Like 2

You're telling me Para, I once thought I was part of a community, but after some years here that illusion has gone. I now know I'm part of nothing, and I curse the day I ever set foot in this place. If I only knew then what I know now. And the rest of you, don't tell me to go home. I can't anymore, and on top of that, it seems that I've soiled myself. Now if you will all excuse me!

My condolences to Ronnie's friends and family, let's all hope that someone, somewhere has been truly affected by his untimely passing.

My condolences to you and the 20 others who liked your post. If you are part of nothing, can't go home, or anywhere else, feel soiled and curse the day you came here; then just die. Your mere existence clouds my perception of reality.

And lets take some time to reflect, they were at one time a "hansum man"

• Like 2

Maybe it is just me, but who really feels at home in the LOS? When I was living there living with my ex Thai wife and trying to get her and daughter back to the U.S. I never really felt I belonged in their click maybe in a fleeting moment when I pulled out the ATM card and graciously paid for meals, rent, loans etc. It eventually dawned on me that in Thailand and even out of country, Thais are for Thais and they tend to never truly accept other nationalities in their circle of trust and true friends. The country is beautiful in its own way and the people are friendly and accepting to a certain point but for the most part it is not genuine like other countries. I feel for the American who passed away in the LOS but maybe he went there with a death wish like so many others before him.

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me, but who really feels at home in the LOS? When I was living there living with my ex Thai wife and trying to get her and daughter back to the U.S. I never really felt I belonged in their click maybe in a fleeting moment when I pulled out the ATM card and graciously paid for meals, rent, loans etc. It eventually dawned on me that in Thailand and even out of country, Thais are for Thais and they tend to never truly accept other nationalities in their circle of trust and true friends. The country is beautiful in its own way and the people are friendly and accepting to a certain point but for the most part it is not genuine like other countries. I feel for the American who passed away in the LOS but maybe he went there with a death wish like so many others before him.

Maybe it all comes down to your choice of partner. I feel very welcomed and very much part of my wifes family. I have never used the ATM card or had to contribute to them. I get spoilt and they get offended if I try and pay for a family dinner when we visit, geez they even have the beers ready when I arrive. All they ask is that I take care of my wife as anyone would in any country. (only 5 yrs difference in our age also)
  • Like 2

Just a note on community.

When I first came to Thailand back in the dark ages there was no cable TV nor internet.

In many ways I was forced out into the world where now I can pretty much just stay in all day and night.

I once had a group of friends who would meet up for board games and card games and a nice chat. We are all at home now reading thaivisa.com instead.

It is true in The West too. It seems people have disappeared into themselves. Me included.

Fly free Ronnie!

Most of the expats I know who retired here are not really interested with integrating into Thai society.

They have their farang friends and they are happy with that.

They play golf, drink and chat with their mates.

They realise they have nothing in common with most Thais and have no interest in mixing with working class Thais.

Most dont speak thai and are not interested in learning thai.

Frankly I think they may be better of than those that hang around looking for approval from Thais who are almost invariably of lower social status but of course feel they are better than the farang.

A very accurate view in my opinion. The farangs who move upcountry seems to be the saddest ones, as they attempt to attain Thainess but of course never succeed. The ones I know in Pattaya that lead a sort of parallel existence seem to be having a great time. Great weather, great food, and stunning women everywhere. What is not to like ?? Not sure what to think about this guy. Maybe he was living the dream in his eyes, but certainly not in my eyes. RIP.

• Like 1

Most of the expats I know who retired here are not really interested with integrating into Thai society.

They realise they have nothing in common with most Thais and have no interest in mixing with working class Thais.

Frankly I think they may be better of than those that hang around looking for approval from Thais who are almost invariably of lower social status but of course feel they are better than the farang.

Brother Tolley knows me personally and I couldn't have said it better.

I live in Isaan and I don't even try and assimilate in the local village. They know who I am and have learned I am no threat to them so they leave me alone. I get along fine with them.

I also own a home in Pattaya that my daughter lives in but seldom go down there. I drink very little, don't enjoy the bar scene any more and can talk to all my old buddies from the past 30 years in Thailand very easily on the phone.

We all get together when I go down there. I'm content but if I felt like some of these posters, I would get the flock out of Dodge City tomorrow.

Cheers

A very accurate view in my opinion. The farangs who move upcountry seems to be the saddest ones, as they attempt to attain Thainess but of course never succeed. The ones I know in Pattaya that lead a sort of parallel existence seem to be having a great time. Great weather, great food, and stunning women everywhere. What is not to like ?? Not sure what to think about this guy. Maybe he was living the dream in his eyes, but certainly not in my eyes. RIP.

Yep all of the guys I am talking about live in Pattaya.

I could think of nothing worse than going into social isolation in Nakhon nowhere.

Certainly most Thais cannot understand why a farang would move to the boonies where he is socially isolated. Turn the tables and that would be a death sentence for you average Thai.

We know nothing of this man's life but he was alone.

Perhaps he was a very kind and smart man. Perhaps he was just one of us.

But in the end, we all die alone don't you know.

We go back to mother earth and carry our memories, Never judge any person by any one given moment of their life. Was he a teacher, a doctor, a father a friend? YES likely he was someone important to us all. We all lost someone.

I am sure there are people who loved him deeply and will miss him. Likely he had children and grandchildren and to them, my heart goes out.

Perhaps his parents are still alive and I am sure they are devastated by this bad news.

I hope he passed quickly with no pain.

Bye bye Ronnie.

• Like 2

I would imagine that a lot of Asians living in Western Countries could well feel the same.