Immigration Free-For-All

mgbcnx

My experience as noted in my previous post was that these two gentlemen are no longer smiling and "happily chatting with one another." They both had long faces, were very irritable, and snapped at me, speaking only in Thai which was not a problem for me as I can converse with them but seemed unusual. They are obviously stressed out and over-loaded with work. So many people who I saw while in there last week (and in previous visits), are not prepared -- no photocopies, no 90-day form, don't speak a word of Thai, speak to the Immigration Officers in a somewhat short, rude manner, ask them to repeat themselves, etc., etc. . . . .

I sensed a lot of stress in the one of the two I dealt with, when I submitted 90-day reports for me and my wife several days ago. I felt then that the fellow eased up slightly on me during our time together, as he processed both reports. In light of your words here, elektrified, I wonder if it might have been due in part to the fact that, while I cannot speak more than a smattering of Thai, I was polite, softly spoken, had both reports completed and had all necessary photocopies ready and signed. He processed the reports and handed me the two passports back within probably three minutes.

Edited by Rasseru

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, there was a woman screaming at one of the puu-yai that work inside at the front desk.. It happened outside by the stree on the sidewalk.t. I'm very curious to know what that was about.. It was a bit far away, and I couldn't make out what she was saying. There was a farang dude with her, and a young lady as well. I've actually never seen anything like this in Thailand before. Weird Wild Stuff..

----

My opinion on these Thai things that 'don't make sense', is that somewhere, there is a good explanation, and it usually involves someone making a profit. I actually hope this is the case with this immigration mess, because the whole thing is a gigantic waste of everyone's time. Imagine how many homes all of those laborers could build each year instead of sitting around immigration wasting their day.. Today, I went, and there was one photocopier working.. Stood in line for well over an hour.. Not a big deal, but missed my spot in line at the 90 day check in desk. The guy there was cool, and took my forms when I came up..As others have said, the workers there do a good job.. If it was America, those people would be complete miserable A-Holes..

• Like 1

Another person who was also doing their paperwork last time I was there said that he knew for a fact that once a month a truck takes all the paperwork away as trash, no idea if this is true but I always have wondered what they do with it all.

• Like 1

Another person who was also doing their paperwork last time I was there said that he knew for a fact that once a month a truck takes all the paperwork away as trash, no idea if this is true but I always have wondered what they do with it all.

I believe it, what else could it possibly be used for?

• Like 1

There is no way that they file all that stuff. I've not seen rows and and rows of file cabinets there. Besides, they enter all the info into the computer and -- of course; throw it all away. Think of all the trees being chopped down for ridiculous things like "90-day reports"!

Perhaps they should allow Swensen's or Dairy Queen to open a branch instead of the coffee shop outside. Might make the whole immigration experience more enjoyable wink.png

I actually like the coffee shop.. Can we have both? Debate : hotter chicks, DQ or Swensen's?

• Like 2

Perhaps they should allow Swensen's or Dairy Queen to open a branch instead of the coffee shop outside. Might make the whole immigration experience more enjoyable wink.png

I actually like the coffee shop.. Can we have both? Debate : hotter chicks, DQ or Swensen's?

Hmm, I think WTK recommends Swenson's for hooters and Lawrence Chee looks to DQ for eye candy,,,,,,decisions......

..........oh, maybe you meant ice cream?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Report on Friday, 11 January: Got there 7:30; no big crowds, orderly entrance, and professional handling of the 2 sets of numbers, and also the oral instructions. Changing passports:-----, took a matter of minutes. Told to wait 20 minutes; was having such a good time with new-found friends, time slipped away. Checked front desk at 9:30 as officer seemed to need to leave his post. I said: "Go ahead! I wait you". Cool guy, handles hundreds at times with no disturbance in his equilibrium......Sargeant-Major looks up, sees I still do not have my passport, comes all the way to the front to hand me my stuff amidst much waiing and mutual appreciaion. Bannner day!

As far as the previous comment on America is concerned, have not been there in 10 years, but I can factually declare that every time I find myself insidethe embassy or consulate, I am impressed with their professionalism, care, efficiency and competence.

For the last 3 years, I have scanned my new passport pages into my computer and combined a number my passport pages that remain static for the year to minimize paper waste. 1 page would show my photo page, original visa and my current extension. Another page shows my previous 3 extensions. On my last visit to get my new extension , the lady immigration officer, said very politely that required passport page had to be on 1 page. At least, she was nice enough, to print all my required passport pages since she had a printer at her desk. She did re-use other people's pages so it wasn't a total waste of tree paper. Edited by vagabond48

Phuket Immigration are using those papers in the copiers, So not a complete waste.

• Like 1

Phuket Immigration are using those papers in the copiers, So not a complete waste.

So anybody's private info can be available for all? rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

So anybody's private info can be available for all? rolleyes.gif

Yes correct, happens all the time, I had papers with financial information on the back from other people's visa extension applications.

Strange but true.

Not a lot we can do about where they finish up, but we can stop them being used by anyone for other purposes.

Whenever I'm asked for a photocopy by anyone, I always strike a line right through it and write across it, e.g. For 90 Day report January 2013 only. It's best to have your copies ready before you go as often there are many, so you can just do it at home.

Not a lot we can do about where they finish up, but we can stop them being used by anyone for other purposes.

Whenever I'm asked for a photocopy by anyone, I always strike a line right through it and write across it, e.g. For 90 Day report January 2013 only. It's best to have your copies ready before you go as often there are many, so you can just do it at home.

I do the same when i have to supply copies, as you never know what happens with the copies.

Although i never did it with the visa extension applications copies.

in 6 years in chiang mai, I'm hard pressed to remember anyone shoving or cutting...I've seen cutting happen a couple times, but usually just to ask a very quick question or some such.

I had to do an extension back in Oct or so.. Got there at 7 am to find a list of 25 or so names already.. An early number on the list (german of course ;) ) told me he arrived before 6am.

Then as the list came up to 40 odd numbers before 8am, someone came back to the list, who was around number 12, and put + 8 next to his name, and then scribbled out everyones numbers and rewrote them 8 digits higher. Cheeky fecker. It was pointed out that he was some kind of cristain minstry person attempting to get a whole bunch of 'his lot' queue jumped.

I did make it nice and clear to the Thai immigration guy who did the numbering process once they opened who had attempted what, but I saw him pleading and think they gave into him anyway.

If it for annual renewal, I hear that people are getting there at 6am and earlier.

Where is this immigration free for all? The only country I can think of would be the UK. That's been the policy there since the last Labour Government came to power.

CM immigration office needs a complete rethink. Far too many aliens needing their services. Pity the poor staff, who managed to get nice cushy desk jobs for life, and are now finding it near impossible to spend the day by the watercooler chatting about last night's tv.

Far too many people like you going there MESmith. If all the Farangs would be sociable maybe CM immigration wouldn't need a rethink.

CM immigration office needs a complete rethink. Far too many aliens needing their services. Pity the poor staff, who managed to get nice cushy desk jobs for life, and are now finding it near impossible to spend the day by the watercooler chatting about last night's tv.

Far too many people like you going there MESmith. If all the Farangs would be sociable maybe CM immigration wouldn't need a rethink.

Agreed far to many walking in there with that attitude and thinking the staff don't know it.

I tried to open another thread to see if there was a date when all the Burmese were supposed to be registered or sent back to their country of Origin.

I was told that this thread is all about that. I haven't found any answer here yet just a lot of honest people with there honest experiences. Some giving credit to the staff. Also found a lot of Thai bashing some by people who pay some one else to do it for them. Nothing wrong with that but why bash.

does any one know if there is a cut off date for foreign registration to work here in Thailand.

Also found a lot of Thai bashing some by people who pay some one else to do it for them. Nothing wrong with that but why bash.

I wasn't aware that criticising immigration, not liking to go there and paying someone else to do it is Thai bashing.

Which part of the above is Thai bashing?

We had to do a 30 day extension last week. Free for all for certain. Our passports have the original visa and the entry on opposing pages, so we just took one photocopy (not my idea). My number came up first, the officer looked at it expecting 2 pieces of paper, I pointed out the visa and the entry stamp, after which he went off to ask someone if it was OK.. He came back with my original and a photocopy of it that I had to sign. My husband was called up just as my officer got back, and he was told (barked) 'Photocopy' by the tubby man who seems to be in charge. It took him 25 minutes to get the copy because of the new system with huge queues for it, my passport was back in my pocket before he came back with his photocopy.

The very pleasant officer who did my extension sorted it, got a photocopy with no mention of paying for it and it was service with a smile. Totally different experience for my husband. Depends who you get and what mood they're in.

We had to do a 30 day extension last week. Free for all for certain. Our passports have the original visa and the entry on opposing pages, so we just took one photocopy (not my idea). My number came up first, the officer looked at it expecting 2 pieces of paper, I pointed out the visa and the entry stamp, after which he went off to ask someone if it was OK.. He came back with my original and a photocopy of it that I had to sign. My husband was called up just as my officer got back, and he was told (barked) 'Photocopy' by the tubby man who seems to be in charge. It took him 25 minutes to get the copy because of the new system with huge queues for it, my passport was back in my pocket before he came back with his photocopy.

The very pleasant officer who did my extension sorted it, got a photocopy with no mention of paying for it and it was service with a smile. Totally different experience for my husband. Depends who you get and what mood they're in.

A few years back I was in there for my renewal. I met a couple who were in there also for their renewal They each had a number when his number was called she handed me her number and went up with him and they both got there renewal from the same guy at the same time and I managed to move up three places in the line.

A win win.don't know if that would work today,

• Like 1

Also found a lot of Thai bashing some by people who pay some one else to do it for them. Nothing wrong with that but why bash.

I wasn't aware that criticising immigration, not liking to go there and paying someone else to do it is Thai bashing.

Which part of the above is Thai bashing?

Criticizing immigration the way you do it.

Tearing your one photocopy in half would have solved the problem.

As far as I know there is no size requirements on photocopy paper.

• Like 1

I did consider doing that, I think maybe he was asking if he could rather than need another copy. Very good of him to do it for me though.

I have to say that I've never had a bad experience at immigration. So you have to get there early and wait. It's just like going to any other government office. As my mother always says, just like cleaning the toilet, it's a chore that has to be done.

I did consider doing that, I think maybe he was asking if he could rather than need another copy. Very good of him to do it for me though.

I have to say that I've never had a bad experience at immigration. So you have to get there early and wait. It's just like going to any other government office. As my mother always says, just like cleaning the toilet, it's a chore that has to be done.

I'd rather clean my toilets any day than go to C.M. Immigration!

• Like 2