Pm Advises Children To Keep Discipline, Seek Knowledge Outside Classroom

Lite Beer

PM advises children to keep discipline, seek knowledge outside classroom

By Digital Media

20130109131728-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 9 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra instructed young people to have discipline and be eager to learn outside the classroom ahead of national Children’s Day on Saturday.

The prime minister talked to children and distinguished youth, whose achievements have brought fame to the country on the occasion of upcoming Children’s Day 2013.

Speaking to more than 700 children meeting her on Wednesday, the premier said children are a major driving force to develop the country.

She told them to be exemplary role models for other young people to develop society and to be good adults in the future.

“Society changes rapidly, in particular technology, so learning is not limited only to the classroom. Children should have platforms for expression and seek opportunities to learn more knowledge, particularly thr foreign languages and cultures of neighbouring countries,” the prime minister said.

Citing the Children’s Day motto “Keep discipline, seek knowledge, pursuit academic excellence to lead the country towards the ASEAN community”, the prime minister said it means young people should adhere to self-discipline and also respect and obey both family and society’s discipline, considered as fundamental for children development.

They should have morality and be equipped with new knowledge to be ready for the formation of the ASEAN Economic Community in 2015, she said.

Ms Yingluck said she hoped children will be a major force in developing the country. She wished them success, happiness and their hopes to be fulfilled. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 9 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra instructed young people to have discipline and be eager to learn outside the classroom ahead of national Children’s Day on Saturday.

She should have told them that any diploma they receive from a Thai public school or university will be worthless anywhere else in the world. She and her brother were both educated in the U S.

• Like 1

I think kids do that already - they skip my classes to either go to Siam Square / tutorial schools laugh.png

I think kids do that already - they skip my classes to either go to Siam Square / tutorial schools laugh.png

Can understand skiping your classes for Siam Square but Tutorial Schools ???? What do you teach ??

When two standards meet, it's hard to take this seriously, although if the same address was given to students by Michelle Obama or someone of good character, credibility would not be an issue, so there lies the factor, credibility, there is none.coffee1.gif

Always remember the Aly G movie where he had the Thai Ambassador wife shooting ping pong balls at a formal dinner. Perhaps the Thais government has some credibility issues to resolve first?

As to kids and education what hasn't been said before? If connected and bone ignorant then rich, if not good luck, isn't that essentially what she said?

• Like 1

Ha ha. Heaven knows you're not going to find knowledge inside the classroom! It's actually good advice.

Maybe students should research her criminal brother and see what he's been up to.

Perhaps Big Brother could be a Role Model: how not to turn out like him

I am surprised she didn't tell those kids that the international community doesn't like the Thai constitution and therefore it should be amended.

A missed opportunity..

Not really she got a photo op out of it.

That is the number 2 item on her agenda right behind get Thaksin back all shinny and new.

I guess she realizes the uselessness of her education plans and has to urge people to get there knowledge out side of the class room.

Hopefully their grammar development will surpass that which is in this article - eg.

Citing the Children’s Day motto “Keep discipline, seek knowledge, pursuit academic excellence to lead the country towards the ASEAN community”, the prime minister said it means young people should adhere to self-discipline and also respect and obey both family and society’s discipline, considered as fundamental for children development.

Unfortunately, "discipline" in the Thai context means "obedience and subservience." When it should mean focus, diligence, persistence, work ethic, achievement, and helping others, but no such guidance exists in Thailand.

“Society changes rapidly, in particular technology, so learning is not limited only to the classroom. Children should have platforms for exp<b></b>ression and seek opportunities to learn more knowledge, particularly thr foreign languages and cultures of neighbouring countries,” the prime minister said.

I would throw this right back at her and ask how her govt plan to provide platforms for exp<b></b>ression, and indeed how to promote knowledge of foreign languages and cultures of neighboring countries.

I guess she wasn't taking questions though... Just telling the children that they need to educate themselves.

Let's hope that they do educate themselves to the point where they can make an informed decision about who they vote for when they're adults, rather than the current voting population.

The reality is that she doesn't actually want them to be educated, critical thinkers when they grow up, or her clan would be out of a job.

Edited by looping

This PM should get about the rural "schools" of Thailand, especially here in Isaan and have surprise visits to "schools". She mights start changing her perception of "schools" in the country.

Schools in Thailand do not exist! Kids most days go to play and teachers go to sleep.

Such a medieval schooling system in Thailand that keeps kids from learning and achieving all for the sake of keeping future kids at home planting rice so that the hiso's and the hiso's future family can have a stable income for the rest of their days.

Parents are as well to blame because they never question nor have the ability to question their kids on what is happening at school.

Smart kids and parents in rural Thailand need to boycott "schools" and demand that "teachers" be replaced and that their kids be taught.

It is a human right and the Govt is failing in this respect.

I have given up with the system in Thailand and self teach my kids here.

Ha ha. Heaven knows you're not going to find knowledge inside the classroom! It's actually good advice.

Maybe students should research her criminal brother and see what he's been up to.

No, no, Yingluk is obviously referring to her nephew, Thaksin's son, Pantongtae, who took a folded piece of paper in his top pocket into his final exam at Ramkhamhaeng. He had been seeking knowledge outside the classroom!

• Like 2

And when the child has sought knowledge outside the classroom and politely explains to the teacher that they are wrong what will happen to the child.

The teacher can NEVER be WRONG, else they would lose face and respect and that would never do, would it?

• Like 2

And when the child has sought knowledge outside the classroom and politely explains to the teacher that they are wrong what will happen to the child.

The teacher can NEVER be WRONG, else they would lose face and respect and that would never do, would it?

I can remember, decades ago, helping a girlfriend with some English homework for her University studies and how shocked I was when she was not only told it was completely wrong but her teacher got upset when told politely that her "friend" (me) had helped her and he was a well educated native speaker.

I was naive then. I've since had the same experience with my Thai nieces but was no longer shocked...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

"PM advises children to keep discipline, seek knowledge outside classroom"

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif cheesy.gif

clap2.gif What behavior???? Politicians, their teachers, have zero behavior themselves.... It's exactly behavior that the high social feudal class lacks, and that's been spoonfed into their brains, undermining their critical thinking skills clap2.gif

Telling 'the children' what to do is exactly why they don't learn & only mirrors what goes on in the classroom of most Thai government schools.

Why not start by setting a good example for children to follow. Virtually impossible for a Shinawatra so this is just hypocrisy.