Thailand, Mexico Or Where Should I Go ?

driedmango

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at Hawaii could fly there for a few hundred but the honeymoon couples might ruin it.

Never been so indecisive I could be on a beach right now or in Chiang mai sipping a beer

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect App

That beach could be at Puerto Vallarta. Really nice place.

Lots to explore in Mexico, so interesting. Easy to get around. Great food, too.

No go-gos or Thai-style beer bars, however.

• Like 1

Mexico is so much fun; plenty of water sports and excursions to keep you entertained. Try to fit in a trip to Xcaret park and the ruins at Chichen Itza. The beaches are fantastic. The local food is ok, nothing special in my opinion but the portions are massive, so you can expect to gain a few kilos.

I recommend you explore somewhere different. Thailand will always be here for your next trip.

Enjoy :)

If you are Canadian, then surely you will have read the horror stories of the murders and muggings of Canadian tourists. Mexico makes Patong look serene. There is no comparison as Thailand comes out on top on just about everything in comparison, except the cost of traveling to and from unless you are going in econmy, in which case the small difference is manageable.

Seriously, I can't believe we would even have this discussion. There is an ongoing near insurrection between the drug cartels and the Mexican people with bodies piling up on a daily basis. The Mexican police make the BiB seem like angels. Wjhen you do get injured, I'd take a Thai hospital any day over a Mexican facility. Mexico is where the physicians that have been sanctioned in the USA and Canada go.

Thailand has Mexico beat on everything from food, to culture, to pollution, to security, to infrastructure, to quality of life. And might I add, Thais in the rural regions are a heck of a lot kinder and compassionate than the Mexicans.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

It's safer in Thailand, but If you stay within a group you should be okay in Mexico. Mexico is somewhat like the Philipinnes where everyone within a white compound needs to have armed guards. Don't carry anything of any value with you to Mexico or it might get stolen.

If you are Canadian, then surely you will have read the horror stories of the murders and muggings of Canadian tourists. Mexico makes Patong look serene. There is no comparison as Thailand comes out on top on just about everything in comparison, except the cost of traveling to and from unless you are going in econmy, in which case the small difference is manageable.

Seriously, I can't believe we would even have this discussion. There is an ongoing near insurrection between the drug cartels and the Mexican people with bodies piling up on a daily basis. The Mexican police make the BiB seem like angels. Wjhen you do get injured, I'd take a Thai hospital any day over a Mexican facility. Mexico is where the physicians that have been sanctioned in the USA and Canada go.

Thailand has Mexico beat on everything from food, to culture, to pollution, to security, to infrastructure, to quality of life. And might I add, Thais in the rural regions are a heck of a lot kinder and compassionate than the Mexicans.

I have first hand experience that backs up what geriactickid wrote... and it's getting worse. But, a few of my friends like to stay well away from the beaten path and camp along deserted beaches in their caravan. The criminals seldom go there because it's not worth their while to explore.

Strange question in the OP. Nobody can tell you what to do or what to like. You have to choose by yourself from your own judgment. Inhere you can only be advised.

For starters do not innocently walk down the street carrying in plain sight a tourist map.

Tijuana i went to. Nice border town and dangerous city. It all depends on your personal travel preferences, Mr. Canadian.

Good luck

Edited by Dancealot

That's for the replies. Well mexico I have been once and didn't find it to bad for crime. I think most of the murders are people in the drug trade and pretty limited to certain areas. Consideration give to the massive size of the place. Many places in mexico have much lower violent crime rate than the USA.

That being said, my delema is I have to decide quickly as everyday I don't I wake up to a grey sky and to much blah ...

The thing is I like Thailand I just have been there so much but maybe I should just stay there for a while. I do hate the long flight with a passion as I wipes me out for days and kind of ruins some of the trip. Also the yellow shirts have disrupted my flight before not sure they are going to pull that jam again this year.

And not to be rude but the massive numbers of Russian package tourist can break my good vibe in a couple places as well as the haze in the north.

Its a tough choice when you got options. I am thinking it will just be a ticket to Thailand again love the vibe wish they had a better music scene but oh well..

Both country have my favorite foods so that's a toss up.

Cuba was a good idea....

I would really like to find somewhere in Asia to make a small factory for the things I already sell.. But never seem to get anywhere with it..

I guess I am lucky to be able to get away but it is a bit of a hell indecisive ness

If you ever did decide on a Cuba trip I recommend Cienfuegos

Yes....Cienfuegos is rather nice,as is much of Cuba. However on balance I think I preferred Venezuela when it came to all things latin.

I ended up in Thailand for a while with few regrets except for the lack of the strolling mariachis smile.png . ...although now I am returning to the UK ( I'm quite fond of Scotland and Cornwall as well !) with my family for what will probably be a ''short jaunt'' before headiing off to pastures new.

Edited by brizzle

I can only give advice from my own experience. So here goes. I went to Mexico for years before coming to Thailand.

It all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend. Also what danger level you are prepared to live with.

Mexico now is as expensive as Canada. The flight is the only cheap thing.Also Mexico is way more dangerous I have been mugged at 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the morning on the street there.The women arenot as pretty or as submissive as Thailand. It is basically dirtier than Thailand also. The restaurants are 3rd world quality and Canadian prices, or more.All that aside there is great fishing for marlin,dorado,sailfish,tuna and ground fish.The sailing is great but then again very dangerous,because you can be attacked and robbed on your boat.

Thailand on the other hand costs more for the flight. But day to day costs can be and should be way less unless you donot really want to be in Thailand and want everything like back home. Thailand is safer unless your lifestyle places you with unsavory people but that is everywhere so cannot blame that on a country. Food,.accommodations,transportation etc all cost less.The women are prettier and more submissive. The extra you will spend on flight will make up quickly on daily costs.

After experiencing both countries for extented times I would strongly suggest Thailand be your destination.

If you never been to Mexico it is definately worth a visit, on the East coast you have the beautiful Carribean, I would stay away from CanCun unless you are into crowds and a Las Vegas strip on the beach, but go further South down around Playa Del Carmen or even further South. You can visit the ruins and the pyramids and other historical and cultural places of interest. Then you have the beaches on the Pacific coast while the water is not as beautiful as it is on the Carribean side it is still worth a visit. The interior of Mexico is also worth checking out plenty to see and do. Check out the street vendors the food is absolutely incredible. I as well enjoyed cities like Taxco, Cuernavaca, and Guadalajara, I liked Mexico City as well but like Bangkok, the smog blankets the city, sometimes you just want to stay indoors. Now I love Thailand and if given the choice would make Thailand a priority but that is only because I been to Mexico many times and prefer Thailand as of this moment

Cuba is a great country if you want to lose weight. The food choices are terrible unless you stay at one of the boring, all inclusive resorts at Varadero. If you like the ladies then bring presents that women like: stockings, perfume, cheap jewelry, bodycreams and lotions, etc. It will go a long way because those things are not available for Cuban women. Also, Cuba is NOT a small island. It is over a 1000 km long. Transportation is a bit on the rustic stage to say the least.

I heard that 20 years ago, Mexico was cheap and reasonably safe. Recent replies from friends, who go there yearly, tell me that the crime rate has been increasing substantially and it's much worse than even 6 years ago when I last went. Of course, if you stay in your hotel and never venture anywhere without a guide or tour company then you should be okay. But, that is not my style. By contrast, I've never felt unsafe in Thailand, other than the traffic. What is said for Mexico is doubled or tripled in South American countries.

I know mexico has a high murder rate but if you took out all the drug cartel deaths or better yet a few border regions you end up with a violent crime rate better than any us state and 5 times lower than new Orleans. The murder rate for Americans in mexico is as low as the Canadian murder rate.

Yes you are safer in mexico.

That being said I think I am going to Thailand on Tuesday. I hope to hit the north before the haze sets in as I could breath last year it was hell. I will escape when the haze hits to the south of Nepal maybe.

Thanks for the tips. My money just goes to Fae in se Asia and I think someday it won't.