Thailand, Mexico Or Where Should I Go ?

driedmango

That being said I think I am going to Thailand on Tuesday. I hope to hit the north before the haze sets in as I could breath last year it was hell. I will escape when the haze hits to the south of Nepal maybe.

Thanks for the tips. My money just goes to Fae in se Asia and I think someday it won't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect App

Take one of the middle of the night flights that leave about 2 AM. That way you arrive in Bangkok about noon and can arrange a flight elsewhere the same day. It also has you prepared to sleep for the first part of the journey.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to live in Thailand and recently returned from a great visit. I now spent 5 months year in Mexico and I love both places for different reasons. There is a big world out there. Don't miss it because someone else is affair of the unknown.

Where in Mexico? We use to go there every winter. Baja twice and then a few years doing the West coast hanging out at places all the way down to Puerto Vallarta. We miss it big time.

• Like 1

So it looks like I will be able to travel after all 4 times in Thailand but was eyeing mexico today and I haven't been there. Coming from Canada it is cheap to fly Mexico. What do you think I should do ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect App

Having been in Mexico a number of times, compared to living in Chiang Mai for the last 8 years I'd pick Mexico. Then again if I'd have lived in Mexico for 8 years I might have said And picked Thailand. Point is try something new, it will likely give you a broader perspective and balance. Whatever your choice, have a good time.

• Like 2

Purely in terms of flying time and the cost of the flight, how does Brazil stack up for the OP ? I've read the warnings re personal safety and increasing prices, but is there a single man here who can honestly say they've never looked at a map of South America and wondered about Rio ? I just figure that if some are talking Cuba, whats another hour or four on the plane ? He could do both and really have some war stories to tell us when he gets back to Canada :D

If the end result is that he may as well fly to Thailand as Brazil, so be it - I just thought it worth mentioning. I look forward to the trip report either way.

Mexico can be a lot of fun. It depends on your level of safety required. I personnally used to really like travel on the edge to test my survival skills when I was younger. Spent a lot of time in Mexico.. If you like to sit in bars with dirt floors and the customers have bowie size knifes and handguns placed on the table beside their drink Mexico is the place to go. Great place for young guys who wear FEAR t-shirts.This is daytime stuff. At night you can go to their disneyland. It will have women dancing on stage and available to take to rooms nearby,and tough looking ladyboys standing behind your table as you drink. Oh and the police taking you outside to request money so they donot have to hurt you. Maybe you can be there on a lucky night when the girls break out into a fight with knives and razors and blood flys everywhere. And donot let the military sitting around or riding in pickups armed with rifles that are loaded and ready intimidate you. Think about it can you get that kind of excitement here in Thailand.

If you are old like me settle for Thailand it maynot be as testing of your survival skills but has great food, great culture and the people are by majority kind and pleasant. And not as expensive as Mexico.

Forgot to add what you spend extra for the flight you take to Thailand you save on accommodations ,food and drink.

Edited by lovelomsak

In Mexico you won't be called Farang.

But Gringo.

Same same I think

Nope. It's REALLY not the same. Mexicans in general are MUCH more discreet about openly using the g-word within earshot of the actual gringos. They have a western sense of avoiding insulting people too much. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in both Thailand and Mexico would know that.

I agree, Puerto Vallarta is a must and being a major tourism resort will be quite safe. I also love OAXACA.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

But Gringo.

Same same I think

Nope. It's REALLY not the same. Mexicans in general are MUCH more discreet about openly using the g-word within earshot of the actual gringos. They have a western sense of avoiding insulting people too much. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in both Thailand and Mexico would know that.

I agree, Puerto Vallarta is a must and being a major tourism resort will be quite safe. I also love OAXACA.

Especially their cheese!!!!!!

I loved Puerto Vallarta in a way never have with Thailand. The problem was that I was limited to that general area and not worth the risk for me of tugging valuables around etc. It's a nice mix of safe and tolerance where you don't feel like your just living in a resort, like Cancun or Cabo.

Another thing was that the morals are different it being a more Catholic country. So you don't get as many of the scum pedophiles and the other degenerates that you get in Thailand. At least not as openly. An important factor if you need to cahoot with other foreigners regularly.

In Asia I can hop countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and not have to spend years in the same location. This was a primary factor for me since I get bored easily. You could have one of those super personalities that never gets bored anywhere I keep hearing about, so that may not be an issue for you.

Why are you limiting yourself to Mexico or Thailand. Vietnam is wonderful, great food, beautiful women, easy visa, probably somewhere in between Mexico and Thailand in terms of safety.

But Gringo.

Same same I think

Yes! Oaxaca is a wonderful place, love it. D. H. Lawrence had the right idea. And a little gem of a town east and bit south: San Cristobal de las Casas. Many love San Miguel de Allende; it's beautiful there but too many expats. wink.png Somebody mentioned Guanajuato; really interesting but a conservative and closed town, not gringo-friendly; one would get the wrong impression there of what Mexico does have to offer.

I lived in south America for two years, and heard gringo being used neutrally, a term of endearment, or an insult, it completely depended on how someone said it. However, I don't know thai culture enough to say if it is the same as 'farang'.

Hell, my housemates, two lovely girls, called me "el gringo". I was the only gringo they knew and my real name is quite difficult for Spanish speakers to pronounce.

To answer the OPs question, go to Mexico. It is awesome. A totally different world to Thailand, in every aspect. Personally I would recommend heading further south to Peru or Ecuador, where there is more beautiful countryside and wildlife, and the people are a little more friendly. BUT I would jump at the chance for a holiday in Mexico, no doubt.

General countries in Latin America I recommend: Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia (very friendly people, and cheap prices), Chile

I don't recommend: Brazil or Venuzuela (high levels of crime, and expensive)

Edited by celso
  • Like 2

Thread running nicely for once, good to see that there is a lot of people that has been to Latin America and sharing their experiences. In my case I still have many countries to see in there, and a soon the ocasion is good, I will.

Even the people that pointed out the excessive violence, etc, have a point and have exposed it fairly,

At the end of the day, It is absolutely worth and recommended to go both places!

Edited by paz

If you have been to Thailand four times, give Mexico a try. I did it the opposite way--Mexico for 3 years or so and then, many years later, Thailand. I love Mexico still and have a lot of great friends from there that I still keep in touch with. Great food, beautiful women and a very interesting culture. Give it a try.

If I go back to the US, I will definitely take my wife and kids to Mexico at some point.

Purely in terms of flying time and the cost of the flight, how does Brazil stack up for the OP ? I've read the warnings re personal safety and increasing prices, but is there a single man here who can honestly say they've never looked at a map of South America and wondered about Rio ? I just figure that if some are talking Cuba, whats another hour or four on the plane ? He could do both and really have some war stories to tell us when he gets back to Canada biggrin.png

If the end result is that he may as well fly to Thailand as Brazil, so be it - I just thought it worth mentioning. I look forward to the trip report either way.

Rio is incredibly expensive. Far more expensive than the US or Thailand. LINK Other than that, it's worth seeing.

Countless Canadians cross the border into the US every day to shop and work. Many retire to the South in the US.

But, it isn't Thailand.

Anyone visiting one beach town in Mexico has seen no more of Mexico than a guy flying into BKK, taking a taxi to Pattaya, and only seeing Pattaya and the highway. So much more to both countries.

If I were in N America and wanted a tropical vacation, I'd go to Mexico, Belize, or Costa Rica. Cheaper ticket, less travel time and there's lots of stuff I've never seen. Worlds ahead on understanding the value of maintaining their "tourist environment", with eco-tourism high on their priorities. I'd also love to try Cuba, but...alas.

I like Thailand just fine, but it's not worth the 24+ hours of travel time in each direction, plus the 12 hour time zone change and associated jet lag- especially for a time constrained trip.

I use to live in Thailand and recently returned from a great visit. I now spent 5 months year in Mexico and I love both places for different reasons. There is a big world out there. Don't miss it because someone else is affair of the unknown.

Where in Mexico? We use to go there every winter. Baja twice and then a few years doing the West coast hanging out at places all the way down to Puerto Vallarta. We miss it big time.

We have a place in Manzanillo but do a fair amount of additional traveling each year.

Drove there many times from Zapopan. The rental car agency had a condo there and always allowed us to use it free.

What I disliked about Manzanillo (1993-94) was driving along the beach, these time share idiots would come in two cars. One to the front to force a stop and the other to the back. We had no choice but to stop and listen to their sales pitch.

I've got some friends who go to Mexico every year. They use to go to Ixtapa as the weather is a bit better that far south. For me Puerto Vallarta is too cold in the winter. But they now are staying just south of Playa del Carmen. Found a spot right on the beach. And from the pics, it looks awesome. Pure white sand, clear water, and warm enough to swim in comfortably. Heaven.

• Like 1

Zipolite on the west coast was a favorite of mine. It has changed and grown alot since the Italians discovered the place, but still a nice beach location.

http://www.puertoangel.net/zipolite/zipolite_en.html

Stayed a month in a hammock hotel in Zipolite overlooking the beach. 'Twas heavenly. One of the very few nude beaches in Mexico. :) Unfortunately the Mexican ladies don't get nude, but lots of the tourists do.

That beach has a dangerous undertow--gotta be careful.

What are you looking for?

I love both countries.

Both are tropical countries.

Both have very beautiful areas to visit.

Both have beautiful women available.

Both are some what inexpensive

Both have some very nice local people.

Both have beautiful beaches.

But, both have a lot of poverty,

And both have a lot of rip offs waiting to scam you!

One big advantage to Mexico is that the language is much easier to learn.

If you have been to Thailand a few times already, I say try Mexico.

One tip: avoid the border areas. Visit the real Mexico inside!post-147745-0-67010300-1388131491_thumb.

• Like 1

I love both countries.

One tip: avoid the border areas. Visit the real Mexico inside!attachicon.gifMexican dress for ladies.jpg

What is the difference between Mexico and Miami or San Antonio?

I love both countries.

One tip: avoid the border areas. Visit the real Mexico inside!attachicon.gifMexican dress for ladies.jpg

What is the difference between Mexico and Miami or San Antonio?

Same as the difference between Thailand and Moscow.

• Like 1