Driving A 14 Seater + Mini Bus In Thailand

My Chinese wifes family will be visiting thailand for the Chinese New Year, in total the party, including my wife (excluding myself thank god) will be around 14-15 strong.

They have plans to hire a self drive mini bus style vehicle, and drive from Bangkok to Samui return.

Now my wife holds both a thai licence and international driving permit for private cars, can anyone tell me if this licence is sufficient for a much larger vehicle such as described.

We all know, and have seen a pick up filled with the local football team, Physio, Manager, kit man, tea lady and fifty or so supporters in the back, but I want to be careful on this and make sure everything is legal.

Any ideas ??

The private car license (check the back of it) shows a minibus picture.

But I doubt, she should drive 15 people. Also I don't think, it would be ok for the BiB's.

"make sure everything is legal"

I think, private driving is 7 seats, only. (For foreigners, of course)

That would mean, even a blue plated Minibus/Truck with 15 seats/spaces wouldn't do it: insurance for 11 people 'only'

(Yep, also the minibuses, used for 'tour' operations, with blue plates, but 15 seats inside, are not really legal. The last row of seats is an 'extra', methinks)

I would look for one of the small but not mini buses, plus a driver. or for 2 "7 seater", instead.

(I've seen a Savvy, licensed as 7-seater!)

Edited by noob7