Vetifer Grass-Yah Faek

swissie

Must do something against soil erosion. "Vetiver-Grass" is the way to go. (YAH FAEK).This is part of an anti-soil-erosion project, sponsored by the King and his Agri-Lab. The seeds or seedlings are supposed to be free.

Tried to get it locally, but as the folks at the local tree and plant nursery claim: Can only get it at Kings Agri-Lab (near Bangkok) and no other place in Thailand! Strange. Since soil erosion is a problem that affects the whole of Thailand, why only available in Bangkok?!?

Somehow I smell a rat. Actually I smell "Comission", since the product is supposed to be free. = "Have to go to Bangkok" and pay much for petrol etc,etc.etc. I have no problem paying for petrol and other reasonable expenses.

But my point: Is Bangkok really the only place to buy this stuff? If yes, the "anti/erosion/project" could not possibly be taken seriously. Even if free, how many Thai-Folks would drive 600 KM and back to get it?

Now, as it were, if anyone could point me to local-agri-branches that do sell the same ( by what official name would they go?) , I shall offer a commission in form of Beer-Chang the next time I visit you.

Cheers.

You could visit the government grass growing farm/s in your area and they'll give the grass or the seeds to you! In every provence there is a farm whose sole duty is to grow various types of grasses as fodder. This fodder is given free to farmers who, because of drought or other natural or man made problems don't have enough feed for their animals. They also sell baled and loose grass and hay on request...grab your missus and go look!

I know because I buy over 900 bales of excellent feed a year from this type of establishment! thumbsup.gifwink.png

Most of the information in the above posts are incorrect.

Vetiver grass (Vetivera zizaniodes) (Yaa faek) grows naturally in Thailand. There are various ecotypes. There are many government agencies that distribute vetiver grass tillers. No seed of vetiver grass is available as the seed is mainly sterile. It is propagated vegetatively. If by chance the seeds do germinate you want to destroy these plants because they can become a weed.

The main government agency that distributes rooted tillers is the Department of Land Development. In Ubon province the DLD centre it is on the road to Phibun about 10 km from Warin on the right hand side. I did forage research there for several years. The Sisaket DLD centre has a larger collection of vetiver grass ecotypes. I worked for DLD from 1974 to 1976.

Plant the tillers about 10 cm apart along the contour at the beginning of the wet season.

There are also other types of grasses that prevent soil erosion.

Vetiver grass (Vetivera zizaniodes) (Yaa faek) grows naturally in Thailand. There are various ecotypes. There are many government agencies that distribute vetiver grass tillers. No seed of vetiver grass is available as the seed is mainly sterile. It is propagated vegetatively. If by chance the seeds do germinate you want to destroy these plants because they can become a weed.

The main government agency that distributes rooted tillers is the Department of Land Development. In Ubon province the DLD centre it is on the road to Phibun about 10 km from Warin on the right hand side. I did forage research there for several years. The Sisaket DLD centre has a larger collection of vetiver grass ecotypes. I worked for DLD from 1974 to 1976.

Plant the tillers about 10 cm apart along the contour at the beginning of the wet season.

Huuuh! Ubon or Sisaket are even farther away than Bangkok for me. I suppose, if I can get it from Bangkok I am lucky.

Cheers.

Huuuh! Ubon or Sisaket are even farther away than Bangkok for me. I suppose, if I can get it from Bangkok I am lucky.

Cheers.

Sorry for "busting-in" again. Just got the news that it will be "a problem" getting Vetiver-Grass from Bangkok. (In plain English: The commission to remove the problem will increase.)wink.png

So then, what other types of grass could be used, grown locally? (Thai spelling). But I must confess, the Vetifer-Grass with roots going down as far as 4 meters within a relatively short period of time still would be my first choice.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Sorry for "busting-in" again. Just got the news that it will be "a problem" getting Vetiver-Grass from Bangkok. (In plain English: The commission to remove the problem will increase.)wink.png

So then, what other types of grass could be used, grown locally? (Thai spelling). But I must confess, the Vetifer-Grass with roots going down as far as 4 meters within a relatively short period of time still would be my first choice.

Cheers.

Are you near Pakchong ?

My patience is wearing very thin.

This Swissie chap who opened the this thread must be as thick as pig shit.

I explained very clearly, as did others, that Vetiver grass tillers or slips are available for FREE throughout Thailand from Land Development Centres that proprogate Vetiver grass. Therefore, seeing Swissie lives in Bangkok, why doesn't he go to DLD at Bangkhen to inquire?

I took a 10 wheel truck to my local DLD centre and filled it up for free, several thousand Vetiver slips for erosion control on the university farm..

If Swissie gave us his location, I would be able in a few seconds inform him exactly where to obtain free Vetiver grass slips. But this seems to be beyond him. I give up. Let his land erode.

As I said above, lots of other grasses beside Vetiver grass for erosion control in Thailand.

Addresses, phone numbers and email for your local LDD can be found here

In English

http://www.ldd.go.th...ion/Ec04021.htm

In Thai

http://www.ldd.go.th...dd/intro08.html

I collected free vetiver slips from my local LDD about 6 months ago, you may have to wait your turn, but they are free

Now THIS is useful information. In my case, it will be Ratchabury. Thanks & cheers.

Addresses, phone numbers and email for your local LDD can be found here

In English

http://www.ldd.go.th...ion/Ec04021.htm

In Thai

http://www.ldd.go.th...dd/intro08.html

I collected free vetiver slips from my local LDD about 6 months ago, you may have to wait your turn, but they are free

Now THIS is useful information. In my case, it will be Ratchabury. Thanks & cheers.

You're welcome. In this forum you will get good info. Everyone wants tro help each other :)