Cars Bring Bangkok To Standstill

webfact

Cars bring Bangkok to standstill

By Billy Adams

BANGKOK: -- Government tax rebate for first-time owners boosts vehicle sales in a city where rush-hour traffic can last all day.

They still call it rush hour, only now it lasts most of the day. As car sales soar, there's a noticeable drop in the number of places you can get them out of second gear.

Bangkok, long-standing poster-child for urban gridlock, is driving itself to a standstill.

And Thailand's Government has been doing its bit to accelerate the process.

Last year, over seven million vehicles fought for space in an area supposed to accommodate just 1.5 million. Then new Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra fulfilled a popular election promise to give first-time car buyers a generous tax rebate.

The scheme was supposed to end at the New Year, but has been so successful it's been extended to March, by which time Bangkok will be home to a further 500,000 cars.

"The congestion is very bad and next year it's only going to get worse," says Dr Thongchai Panswad, a sustainable transport activist who founded the Thailand Cycling Club to promote travel on two wheels. We need to do a lot of things, but most of all we need to reduce the number of cars." [more...]

Full story: http://www.nzherald....jectid=10858163

-- The New Zealand Herald 2013-01-10

footer_n.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And imagine there will be another Megaflood coming, and the Japanese car industry upcountry along with the newly bought cars are getting soaked under water again,....

.... there's gonna be another cheaper first car buyer policy, in order to COMPENSATE the Japanese automobile industry and the cycle continues....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I really haven't noticed any difference. Maybe it's just the routes I take.

hahaha if people think BKK is bad they should try Jakarta....twice as bad

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Or Manila. Phnom Penh is steadily getting worse too.

Yangon is pretty dire too - government made import permits more accessible, which flooded the streets with cars. Now they have belatedly acknowledged the problem and are building overpasses at a snail's pace. One junction has a signal change time of 22.5 minutes for one flow of traffic! Par for the course now are lots of single occupant 4x4s driving around.

Edited by householder

In a year's time all these rebated cars will be causing gridlock in the second hand car yards along with loss of face!

I just wonder how many bought these cars on finance and once the 100k rebate runs out won't be able to make the payments

In a year's time all these rebated cars will be causing gridlock in the second hand car yards along with loss of face!

I just wonder how many bought these cars on finance and once the 100k rebate runs out won't be able to make the payments

Most people have bought these cars on credit and they can't sell the car within 5 years.

This scheme is going to put many of those greedy car buyers into trouble.

• Like 1

Most people have bought these cars on credit and they can't sell the car within 5 years.

This scheme is going to put many of those greedy car buyers into trouble.

This concerns me too. That in less than a year a lot of people, possibkly hundreds of thousands, will be struggling with debt repayments, will be facing repossession and at the very least be looking at an "asset" that due to there being a huge number of similar cars of similar age, will be depreciating rapidly and easily in excess of the 100k they "saved" by buying it.

It only benefits the Japanese car companies so far as I can tell.

Mind you, the US did the same thing with its "Cash for Clunkers" programs, which also seemed to be a direct transfer of funds straight to Japanese car companies.