Tourist Dies On Rented Motorbike In Pattaya

Rimmer

Thai police should be ashamed of themselves for not enforcing the 400 baht fine for not wearing a helmet by accepting bribes for a lesser amount. If the fine was universally enforced you would quickly see more & more Thais wearing helmets.

Actually central Pattaya does seem to be one of the few places in Thailand where the helmet laws are applied to all, regardless of colour. I regularly see checkpoints and riders being stopped and fined, and in central Pattaya nearly all people do now wear helmets.

In other towns hardly anyone ever seems to wear one and no one seems to be very interested.

Yes , because the local BiB don't care and are doing non BiB stuff. sad.png

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After posting this story on our website I was due to meet a pal at Maprachan lake, just down the road, for a quick drink on thursday. First I stopped off to replace the headlamp bulb that Madam had ignored for probably weeks and I was unaware of. Riding the short trip, I was stuck behind a richbitch in a 4x4 who slowed down more and more and veered toward the kerb. thought she was drunk but...NO.. she was watching TV.. yes I kid you not.

2 cans of cider later I left and was more than aware that, especially on the new but pathetic road surface which has managed to mirror allt he previous bumps, I was an insignificant scooter rider and very vulnerable.

Bikes, like guns, dont kill people.. people kill people, but I dont want to be one of those people sad.png ( my crash helmet is a full facial btw wink.png )

Similar thing happened to me the other day. 3 lanes, right lane turning right towards my house, me in the middle lane indicating to merge right and I realise that the driver to my left is veering in towards me without indicating. Immediately I am on the horn. He brakes I brake and we end up next to each other. I look in to remonstrate when I see him looking at his iPad on his lap. I did not hold back on my bad language on that occasion. Be careful out there guys because so many other people aren't.

This is so "not news". I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui. It remains the most lawless land in Thailand. The police talk about the helmet laws, and all they do is collect tea money once per month, at their monthly fund raising roadblocks. No concern for safety, whatsoever. Lip service whenever these deaths are publicized, but the fabulously timid Samui Gazette, and Samui Express will not report about these deaths, nor with the Bangkok Post, or the Nation, since they are highly censored. So, it remains a big secret that I found about from my friends at Samui Rescue. Whenever I go to the hospital, I see many bike injuries. No one really knows how many are injured every month, but the mixture of drinking while driving, lack of motorbike skills, the unlicensed 10 year olds riding motorbikes (that the toy police refuse to do anything about) and the young men (boys really) that drive like kamikazes, plus the central governments absolute refusal to put any priority on the completion of the main road in Samui (the ring road), make Samui a very toxic mix, when it comes to driver safety.

" I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui.".............yes must have "heard" that,because there is not any statistic in the world to back up that claim...........................maybee 60 INCIDENTS is more correct laugh.png !?!?

That would be around 700 dead tourists per year, driving motorbikes on Samui...?

If there would be 700 dead tourists, who rode motorbikes, in ANY tourist country in the world (not just on a small island) touroperators would not sell a single trip anymore.

hmmm

So terribly untrue. Nothing happens in thailand, that compels tour operators to not sell tickets anymore. What on earth makes you even consider that as a possibility? Money trumps safety, every time.

This is what makes Pattaya a dangerous place to ride. People who probably have little motorcycle experience being allowed to jump on a large displacement sportbike. Little do they understand that these machines are not toys.

People who have little experience on large displacement bikes, unaware that they a not toys, are in danger anywhere - that doesn't make Pattaya a dangerous place to ride (though other things arguably do).

I don't think there are too many places in the world where you can hire out superbikes as easily as you can in Pattaya. In Australia it will take years to get a licence to ride these bikes. I would guess that most people who hire these out wouldn't be able to ride them in their home country. Watch how most of them ride.

Thai police should be ashamed of themselves for not enforcing the 400 baht fine for not wearing a helmet by accepting bribes for a lesser amount. If the fine was universally enforced you would quickly see more & more Thais wearing helmets.

Actually central Pattaya does seem to be one of the few places in Thailand where the helmet laws are applied to all, regardless of colour. I regularly see checkpoints and riders being stopped and fined, and in central Pattaya nearly all people do now wear helmets.

In other towns hardly anyone ever seems to wear one and no one seems to be very interested.

The police in central Pattaya are after the foreigners. They only stop the Thais to make it seem legit.

I've been stopped on a quieter road for doing the same thing a Thai rider and a car were doing right in front of me. In busy areas they must stop everyone so the foreigners don't get the feeling they're being picked on. The police maybe corrupt, but they're not stupid.

This is what makes Pattaya a dangerous place to ride. People who probably have little motorcycle experience being allowed to jump on a large displacement sportbike. Little do they understand that these machines are not toys.

People who have little experience on large displacement bikes, unaware that they a not toys, are in danger anywhere - that doesn't make Pattaya a dangerous place to ride (though other things arguably do).

I don't think there are too many places in the world where you can hire out superbikes as easily as you can in Pattaya. In Australia it will take years to get a licence to ride these bikes. I would guess that most people who hire these out wouldn't be able to ride them in their home country. Watch how most of them ride.

As for your first comment, I don't doubt it. Again, that doesn't make Pattaya a dangerous place to ride. (If you aren't up to riding a bike, you shouldn't be riding it whatever city you are in.)

As for the rest (people who it is obvious clearly can't ride) as can be seen in a previous post where I mentioned the same thing, I obviously agree with that as well.

Unless I'm mistaken, you are yet another person who isn't getting the simple point I'm making. :)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Unless I'm mistaken, you are yet another person who isn't getting the simple point I'm making. smile.png

I think you're mistaken. I was merely making a comment about big bike riders, not on whether it makes Pattaya a safe place or not.

Of course it adds to the dangers, but mostly these big bike riders kill themselves so they're mainly a danger to themselves. Most of these accidents seem to happen late at night. A time where they can ride faster unimpeded by slow traffic.

The police in central Pattaya are after the foreigners. They only stop the Thais to make it seem legit.

I've been stopped on a quieter road for doing the same thing a Thai rider and a car were doing right in front of me. In busy areas they must stop everyone so the foreigners don't get the feeling they're being picked on. The police maybe corrupt, but they're not stupid.

Be that as it may, the end result is that nearly everyone in central Pattaya now wears a helmet. This is certainly not the case anywhere else, even just a couple of km away. So whatever the reason is, it does work.

Be that as it may, the end result is that nearly everyone in central Pattaya now wears a helmet. This is certainly not the case anywhere else, even just a couple of km away. So whatever the reason is, it does work.

Yet this doesn't really result in the roads being any safer, does it?

Have you ever seen cops at traffic lights trying to catch red light jumpers? Do you ever see them pulling over cars or Songthaews in Central Pattaya? Everything they do is aimed at easy revenue taking. Bikes are very easy targets.

• Like 2

Have you ever seen cops at traffic lights trying to catch red light jumpers? Do you ever see them pulling over cars or Songthaews in Central Pattaya? Everything they do is aimed at easy revenue taking. Bikes are very easy targets.

Soi Khao Talo near the railway crossing they stop m/c every day of the week but never ever seen them stop any other type of vehicle.

Edited by pattayadingo

Just to clear things up. In the states I have a cbr1000rr. In Thailand fzr400 and tzm150. I say I think these noobs on big bikes make pattaya a dangerous place to ride cuz when I was riding in pattaya on the small 150 I'd get buzzed from behind by some dude on a super sport bike. Like the guys who don't own or have experience with a big cc bike great it like a video game where they have to zoom between cars and other bikers and treat them As obstacles and everyone else on the road is an obstacle course. For the bike I own I don't abuse it cuz I have to pay to repair it. For the renters they don't care. For me in the states bikers are courteous to each other and will let others pass, pay attention to other bikers, etc. noobs don't have that kind of thinking. And the noobs don't have complete control over the bike, and to me they're 600lb missiles coming at you. And the thing is it is very difficult to get on those kind of bikes anywhere else in the world. In the states it is $150 a day to rent and they make sure you can ride before they let you have the bike. In pattaya they don't care if you have a license or not.

Soi Khao Talo near the railway crossing they stop m/c every day of the week but never ever seen them stop any other type of vehicle.

That's right. They can bale up the motorcycle riders, grab the keys and park hundreds of them on the side of the road without any interference to traffic flow.

They don't care about about buses or trucks crashing red lights. They can do what they please. They must get 99% of their fine revenue from motorcyclists, a fair bit of it being pocketed on the spot.

At their regular tourist traps they have non-uniformed cash handlers sitting nearby to grab the cash from people who don't want to make the trip down to the station.

I was a bit annoyed when I was passed by 2 cops this evening NOT wearing helmets.

Edited by tropo

Just to clear things up. In the states I have a cbr1000rr. In Thailand fzr400 and tzm150. I say I think these noobs on big bikes make pattaya a dangerous place to ride cuz when I was riding in pattaya on the small 150 I'd get buzzed from behind by some dude on a super sport bike. Like the guys who don't own or have experience with a big cc bike great it like a video game where they have to zoom between cars and other bikers and treat them As obstacles and everyone else on the road is an obstacle course. For the bike I own I don't abuse it cuz I have to pay to repair it. For the renters they don't care. For me in the states bikers are courteous to each other and will let others pass, pay attention to other bikers, etc. noobs don't have that kind of thinking. And the noobs don't have complete control over the bike, and to me they're 600lb missiles coming at you. And the thing is it is very difficult to get on those kind of bikes anywhere else in the world. In the states it is $150 a day to rent and they make sure you can ride before they let you have the bike. In pattaya they don't care if you have a license or not.

Finally, someone correctly explains how the prevalence of unqualified riders make Pattaya a dangerous place to ride!

Good post.

Perhaps this is easier to explain. Video of tourist on rented cbr1000rr. Note how he weaves through congested traffic, pedestrians and other bikes. It looks like he goes through beach road. A crowded city is not the place for this kind of riding. And being on a slower scooter while a big bike blasts unexpectedly from behind with a few inches to spare is not enjoyable.

Perhaps this is easier to explain. Video of tourist on rented cbr1000rr. Note how he weaves through congested traffic, pedestrians and other bikes. It looks like he goes through beach road. A crowded city is not the place for this kind of riding. And being on a slower scooter while a big bike blasts unexpectedly from behind with a few inches to spare is not enjoyable.

I actually find the opposite, I ride a big bike here and find that Thais and some falangs on small bikes will try to fill the gap I allow myself behind another vehicle, it certaintly isn't safe driving and on occasion I've had to brake heavily to avoid contact, sometimes I'll gently fill the gap forcing the small bike rider to brake and pull back when they realise they have no place to go, Thais are definately the worst and will seemingly do anything possible or impossible to get past a falang especially if they are on a big bike, the driving is shocking and the ego even worse - roads wars

I actually find the opposite, I ride a big bike here and find that Thais and some falangs on small bikes will try to fill the gap I allow myself behind another vehicle, it certaintly isn't safe driving and on occasion I've had to brake heavily to avoid contact, sometimes I'll gently fill the gap forcing the small bike rider to brake and pull back when they realise they have no place to go, Thais are definately the worst and will seemingly do anything possible or impossible to get past a falang especially if they are on a big bike, the driving is shocking and the ego even worse - roads wars

I remember (from the days when I rode a big bike) that experience very well, pretty much exactly as you describe.

I watched half a minute of that, crazy stuff.. Think any fool can see a dozen places in that half minute where a pedestrian could appear and be taken out. sad.png

The truth of the matter is this, in the west if you -

Drive on the wrong side of the road even by 0.5m you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Break the speed limit you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Go through a red light you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Drink and drive you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Drive without tax or insurance or licence you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Drive without a helmet you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Break the law you will be pursued stopped fined or prosecuted

Here in Thailand none of the above generally happens which encourages people to have no respect for the law or law enfocement, it is corrupt to the core and until that changes this place will continue to reside in the 3rd world category and a lawless society

pedestrians should remember roads are for cars and learn to watch out before crossing a busy road whistling.gif

This is NOT the West. Some jerks cannot get that into their heads.

Took me a couple of years to adjust my driving to take EVERYTHING into account in LOS regarding the roads.

Finally, someone correctly explains how the prevalence of unqualified riders make Pattaya a dangerous place to ride!

Good post.

I fail to see how the odd superbike being ridden by novices makes the roads more dangerous. I've only heard about a few accidents over the years where the riders killed themselves.

I have never had my life endangered by a superbike on the roads here. I had a few laughs though - watching them trying to ride them.