Good Monks And Bad Monks

tc101

In another thread, someone says there are good monks and bad monks in Thailand, but lots more bad ones than good ones. Do other people agree with this? Is Buddhism pretty corrupted in Thailand? Are there many sincere seekers who are monks? Are there any real Buddhist masters?

There are an estimatd 700,000 monks in the country what is their contribution to sosciety How many criminals are hiding behind the orange robe.Why dothey remain seated when the national anthem is being played.Why do old ladies on baht busses get up to let a monk sit down.Tell me about the abbot who had 60 Mercedes and another one who kept an elephant chained to a tre for 10 years. Albert

Interesting. Sounds like some corrupt Christian priests in the U.S.

Yeah, I think a distinction should be made between MONKs, and people in orange robes. Cos there is a lot aof people wo no monk would call a monk, yet they are escaping some petty crime by sitting in robes for ten months.

Yeah, I think a distinction should be made between MONKs, and people in orange robes. Cos there is a lot aof people wo no monk would call a monk, yet they are escaping some petty crime by sitting in robes for ten months.

Just to clarify...the rules that monks are supposed to follow are very precisely defined. When a person is ordained as a monk all the other monks are bound by their rules of conduct to call and treat them as a monk...regardless of the motive for ordaining and regardless of the behavior of the monk....and the rules for monks require this to continue until which time the monk is removed from the monkhood. Bottom line....all monks treat all other monks with due respect....at least according to the rules.