Why Do Thais Not Wear Any Eye Protection On Motorcycles?

jaideeguy

It's very rare to see a Thai wearing either sunglasses or any eye protection while riding motorcycles. I have to wear sunglasses in the day time while riding and clear at night or I get bugs, dust, infections etc. Do Thais have a different eye structure or is just the mai phen rai attitude? It's also rare to see Thais wearing sunglasses whenever they are out in the sun.

Very easy answer to your question.

People don't wear eye protection while riding m/cycles because they are unbelievably stupid.

I've seen plenty of farangs not wearing eye protection/helmets, so you can be certain that stupidity is not confined to any particular group.

Can remember a safety campaign in the US where the slogan was, --If you have a 10 dollar head then buy a 10 dollar helmet.

Very easy answer to your question.

People don't wear eye protection while riding m/cycles because they are unbelievably stupid.

I've seen plenty of farangs not wearing eye protection/helmets, so you can be certain that stupidity is not confined to any particular group.

Can remember a safety campaign in the US where the slogan was, --If you have a 10 dollar head then buy a 10 dollar helmet.

Back in the USA, I knew many bikers--MANY--who would not wear helmets if it wasn't required by law.

To answer the question:

it cost money, even 100 baht for eye protection against welding radiation seem too steep,

or another example, working as a chef cooking all day, the fan is 350 baht so no thanks,

and when i offered to lend out my fan for free, she asked if i would pay the electric bill for using the fan ?!

I use to give away my old sunglasses to welders here once i got a scratch on them.

In case you havnt notice, they have no eye protection for welding even.

Follow example pls

Saw that just a few days ago.My next door neighbour is having an extension built onto his house and I saw them welding without any sort of helmet or glasses.Just plain ignorance really sad.png

I use to give away my old sunglasses to welders here once i got a scratch on them.

In case you havnt notice, they have no eye protection for welding even.

Follow example pls

Saw that just a few days ago.My next door neighbour is having an extension built onto his house and I saw them welding without any sort of helmet or glasses.Just plain ignorance really sad.png

By the looks of their welding, I think their eyes are closed.

• Like 2

As a thai, my answer is our eyes are not so sensitive to sunlight as yours due to its dark color. Therefore, sunglasses is unnecessary

Same as their dark colored skin which is not so sensitive to sunlight. But for some reason, they try by any means to cover the skin when they are outside. (umbrellas, newspapers, books, jackets, walk in the shade etc.) rolleyes.gif

As a thai, my answer is our eyes are not so sensitive to sunlight as yours due to its dark color. Therefore, sunglasses is unnecessary

Brilliant post but you do realise you have just stopped four pages of nonsense.

If you allow me the OP question about sun glasses was not at all for sun protection but protection while riding motorcycles, goof.gifso both of you will copy the OP 10 times... The nonsense can go on biggrin.png

Same as their dark colored skin which is not so sensitive to sunlight. But for some reason, they try by any means to cover the skin when they are outside. (umbrellas, newspapers, books, jackets, walk in the shade etc.) rolleyes.gif

Sun causes wrinkles as well not only skin darkening. If you ask me to choose between looking decade younger and looking lighter, I definitely choose the first choice. Anyway, I agree that wearing sunglasses is better since I have to squint my eyes often when going outdoor and it's a reason making eye wrinkles deeper.

Edited by Nuna

Brilliant post but you do realise you have just stopped four pages of nonsense.

If you allow me the OP question about sun glasses was not at all for sun protection but protection while riding motorcycles, goof.gifso both of you will copy the OP 10 times... The nonsense can go on biggrin.png

If you mean that. My answer will be... my helmet has fron't glass to cover my entire face so the sunglasses is useless in this case

Many thais don't wear either helmet or sunglasses because of putting on so many accessaries is inconvenient and the different vision when I put it on make me dizzy . If the sun is not so bright, I won't put anything on my head

Edited by Nuna