Thai Girls And Their Pyjamas

rene123

Why do Thai girls wear their pyjamas out in public? In the past few days I’ve seen at least half a dozen young Thai women wearing what appear to be flannel pyjamas while out shopping or in Thai cafes. They usually have a jacket over top, but those are certainly what us Canadian gals would call night-time attire.I usually wear a nightie, but I have flannel pyjamas for when I’m camping in a tent and it’s cool at night. But, I certainly change to daytime attire when I get up. I certainly would never be found wearing pyjamas in public.

Edited by Rimmer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do Thai girls wear all their clothing when swimming, while you wear almost nothing?

The answer, is of course, Thailand has different social customs to Canada.

Good point, but I understand the swimming thing. Thai women try to cover up as much as possible to stay as white as possible. They are also much more inhibited about their bodies than most western women.

"I certainly would never be found wearing pyjamas in public."

Please let me know the next time you are in public ;)

Back to the question at hand - it comes down to the hunting instinct of locals. Wake up - hunt for food. Showering, brushing teeth, changing clothes comes a distand 2nd until morning grub is in hand.

• Like 2

Why do Thai girls wear all their clothing when swimming, while you wear almost nothing?

Good point, but I understand the swimming thing. Thai women try to cover up as much as possible to stay as white as possible. They are also much more inhibited about their bodies than most western women.

Nothing to do with white skin, all to do with social values.

Nipples (nipple outlines) and shoulders should not be shown in public under any circumstances.

But you can show your legs right up to the butt cheeks.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

We must remember that pyjamas originated in Asia as a loose fitting pair of trousers worn during the day by both sexes.

It was us Brits who started the trend in the west for wearing them for sleeping.

I am to;d by someone who knows more about this sort of thing than I (wife) that it is fashionable to wear a type of pyjama trouser and light top as casual day wear; a fashion that is certainly not restricted to Thailand.

Pajamas in Public a Real Crime?

• Like 1

Nipples (nipple outlines) and shoulders should not be shown in public under any circumstances.

All to do with social values yes of course , nothing to do with white skin, not sure...

The proof is that for her motorbike my wife has a full faced helmet... for her safety... no for the sunclap2.gif

This pyjama trend is also alive and well in Australia.

Really? Not in Adelaide.

Adelaide bucking the trend again or they waiting a few years to get into it?

When I say 'trend', I can recall pyjama wearing people in supermarkets in the evening for at least 12 years

This pyjama trend is also alive and well in Australia.

Cambodia, early morning, late afternoon ... but more prevalent in the morning.

Sort of cute ... expecting to see them buying a baguette and a coffee and wandering back to their home.

Didn't look like France though.

Hi Rene,

Teenagers in England were doing this about 3 years ago. Groups of young girls going to the shopping mall in bright pyjamas. The 'craze' then moved North and caught up with the teenagers in Aberdeen about 2 years ago.

It looks ridiculous. Thank goodness that bunch have left high school and have grown out of it. The craze before that one was the neon coloured tutu's and leg warmers.

I don't know how the trend starts up but it only gets a short life. I think it's bonkers.

• Like 1

All to do with social values yes of course , nothing to do with white skin, not sure...

The proof is that for her motorbike my wife has a full faced helmet... for her safety... no for the sunclap2.gif

Does she use it, when she knows that you can't see her? rolleyes.gif

Actually Rene this is not another exculcively Thai phenomonon or at least as much as you might think , In the small town in Montana where I own a house in my best friends biggest complaint is young teen girls walking around dressed the same way , I will admit that I noticed it as being odd in Thailand and never actually even noticed it back home but once my friend started ranting on about it, I notice it more often back home now than i notice it here.

I suspect it's some combination of a fashion statement , annoying your parents , being comfortable , and at this point being part of the pajama wearing clan of "cool kids". All done under the name of expressing yourself and waving the flag of fredom ! lol

I find it a little strange myself but no more so than herion chic , the grunge look , the underware sticking out of your pants and pants below you ass look , and so on. I could be wrong about whatever the reason it is people dress in these niche styles but I suspect the resons are similar for the wide range of differing styles that catch on for a period of time only to be replaced by another.

Many years ago people used to wear simple clothing in the village and when they went outside it they put on more special clothes. The pyjamas are the more modern equivalent, clothes to wear around home and the immediate neighbourhood.

My brother in law drives around in his towel. Never figured that one out either.

That picture is stuck in my head, sbk and I had to laugh. Does he have anything on under the towel? laugh.png

I have never dared to ask.

Thai women try to cover up as much as possible to stay as white as possible.

Except their legs of course.

I find it a little strange myself but no more so than herion chic , the grunge look , the underware sticking out of your pants and pants below you ass look , and so on. I could be wrong about whatever the reason it is people dress in these niche styles but I suspect the resons are similar for the wide range of differing styles that catch on for a period of time only to be replaced by another.

Indeed, teenage 'style' always looks odd to those above, about, 25.

I remember myself in the 1970s.

Hair halfway down my back, long bushy sideburns, tie dyed T shirt or rainbow tank top, wide flared jeans or loon pants (remember them?), platform boots.

Oh, the shame!

Are you sure they are not Chinese (mainlanders)? In my old soi in Bangkok, the Chinese girls would very often wander up and down the soi in their pj's. Thai girls would generally not and tended to be limited to those that were so incredibly lazy they could not be bothered to get dressed.

Well, both my female and male friends have grabbed a pair of my boxers to put over their underwear when they ran down to the 7-11 for something. Apparently, my putting out a clean pair of boxers is an invitation to borrowing. I did ask why, and the response was, well you are so fat and the designs makes them like shorts, and I don't feel like dressing to run 50 meters to the store.

My male friends and I often take off our pants when we come back after a day out and are sweaty. Now that's a habit I picked up from some of them. I also have a friend that fastidiously cleans his feet. I probably caused that because I am always remarking on the poor foot hygiene I observe when walking about. I think my friend is convinced he will contract one of those fungal infections I often point out.

One habit I wish some of my friends would pick up is washing their hands. They just don't and I have to remind them, especially since they are in constant contact with people with higher risk envelopes..