Receiving Sms Messages On A Pc, From Thai Cell

Sam_H

There's lots of choices for sending SMS messages to a Thai cell phone from a PC, but not many for receiving them. I tried to search for some answers about this but didn't find much current advice. The only solutions so far I've seen are

Yahoo messenger

http://www.ipipi.com

Can someone knowledgeable about these or other methods give a quick rundown of what the advantages or disadvantages are?

I want something reliable and cheap for my wife in Thailand to send SMS messages to me. I don't mind paying on my end for the SMS messages she sends. I'd rather there be a charge for me rather than any sort of premium for her to pay. If possible, I'd like the messages delivered to my email.

There may already be good information about this posted, but almost all the threads I got when searching delt with sending from a PC or receiving to a cell phone, not receiving to a PC. If someone has a link to a good thread about this, please post it.

One final comment. Thai Visa has the ability to send SMS messages from a PC, and a way you can pay for it. Any chance of it being upgraded to also receive SMS on a PC? That would be ideal for me.

If your wife uses a DTAC or HappyDprompt SIM, she can use it to send email via SMS.

The cost is 3 baht per message.

Once set up(reasonably simple), she enters your email address or nickname((if nickname is set up) leaves one space and then writes her message(. eg [email protected] Hello Honey or jo Hello Honey. When she is finished with writing her message, she sends it to number 18999(That's not the actual number). Voila! She gets an 'email sent' confirmation and the email appears in your inbox.

All this is carried out as if sending a normal text message.

You can send 50 free text messages per month to her mobile telephone from the DTAC website as well as sending email via SMS to her mobile telephone.

Time to change to DTAC?

I'll supply all the details if you decide to go forward with that.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Yes, she does use DTAC. That service sounds great, just what I'm looking for. Thanks a million.

In order to register, she needs to send a text message to number 1999908. The message should take this form; R(space)PinCode(space)BirthDate For example R 1234 24011980 Once done, she should receive a message that she is registered for email.

Next she should set up a shortcode, to use in the place of your email address(to prevent having to write it out for every message).

This is done thus; addnic(space)jo(space)[email protected] and sends that as a text message to 1999908 In this case jo is the short code for [email protected]

All done.

In order for her to send you an email by text message, all she needs to do is to place your shortcode at the beginning of the message, leave a space and then write her message as normal(text only). When completed, she sends the result to 1999909. A few seconds later, she gets a sent email confirmation and you receive an email in your inbox. 3 baht.

Be careful that it doesn't go into your junk mail or get caught by your spam mail filter.

In addition, she now has a free webmail account; http://webmail.dtac.co.th/login/eng/

Sign in by entering her mobile number, beginning with the 'd' that is already in place and then 0******** Next, enter the password, which is the four digit PIN that was used whilst registering.

Once 'signed in' click on 'mailbox' and you're in! You can click on 'Ordering Terms of Mailbox (SMS)' for more information on more options.

If you want to be able to send her 50 free text messages per month from your computer, you'll need to register here; http://www.dtac.co.th/en/customer/OnlineSe...neservices.aspx

Get back to me if you are unclear about any part of this.