Mass File Name Change In Folder

KRS1

Is there anyway to perform a mass changing of part of a file name?

For example I have a folder (Windows 7) full of thumbnails and all of them have the word 'thumb' at the end of the file name. I'd like to change all of them to something else in one swoop.

So instead of something like: red-widgets-thumb.jpg.......id like to change them to something like: red-widgets-winter.jpg

In Dreamweaver there is the search and replace function to edit code, but it cannot change the file names....so im looking for something that can do something similar.

I have over 2000 filenames i have to change, help me out so i don't go crazy please. blink.png

Tried doing the DOS via the Windows key, but said 'The system cannot find the file specified'

Maybe it can only change the whole file name? I only need to change part of the filename.

Taking a second look at that bulk rename utility, it just makes my head spin with all those parameters...anything easier out there?

Tried doing the DOS via the Windows key, but said 'The system cannot find the file specified'

Maybe it can only change the whole file name? I only need to change part of the filename.

Taking a second look at that bulk rename utility, it just makes my head spin with all those parameters...anything easier out there?

Make sure there is a single space between the "rename *-thumb.jpg" and the "*-winter.jpg". Also no quotation marks. You should be able to copy and paste from below.

rename *-thumb.jpg *-winter.jpg

***edit***Oh I am a twit....are you in the correct directory? I am on a work computer now (only use Linux at home), but it defaults to "C:\Documents and Settings\my_username". So if the files were in "My Pictures" I would need to do this:

cd My Documents\My Pictures

Check that the files are in the directory you think they are:

dir *-thumb.jpg

And then run the previous command.

Edited by dave_boo

Make sure there is a single space between the "rename *-thumb.jpg" and the "*-winter.jpg". Also no quotation marks. You should be able to copy and paste from below.

rename *-thumb.jpg *-winter.jpg

***edit***Oh I am a twit....are you in the correct directory? I am on a work computer now (only use Linux at home), but it defaults to "C:\Documents and Settings\my_username". So if the files were in "My Pictures" I would need to do this:

cd My Documents\My Pictures

Check that the files are in the directory you think they are:

dir *-thumb.jpg

And then run the previous command.

Yep it was me being in the wrong directory, works like a charm now.

Thanks Dave wai2.gif

Thank you for all the other suggestions as well, i hate DOS so will also be looking into the others.

Follow the KISS principle; if the command line works why not use it?

'Cause the specialized programs w/ graphical interfaces work so much better?

I hate typing in command lines. Must be from the old days of Unix . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

Going a little off-topic here, there is a great FREE tool that you can use to create a list of the (bulk renamed) contents of a folder.

For example, if you're communicating with a party that has some great cinema, and you establish an

'I'll show you mine if you show me yours'" relationship, you can use Karen's Directory Printer to create an inventory/list of what you have.

You can fiddle round with options - most important, in order to save the list for editing/emailing, rather than printing it raw.

Here's a link: http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp.

Enjoy, AA

Something to try.

When the photos are in the order you prefer...select all and

right click the first photo...from the menu...select...rename...

Type a name for the group - space - (10001).jpg

group name (10001).jpg

Press...Enter...

Windows should rename the remaining files as follows:

group name (10001).jpg

group name (10002).jpg

group name (10003).jpg

Good luck.

http://answers.micro...12-36f58969cd6e

Edited by ravip

So many solutions and ive been sitting here for the past five years renaming files...DOH !

Theres more files these days than before though.

So many media files these days.

I don't do much w/ photos--I should. But a renamer is fabulous for downloaded TV series, usually a mess, and accompanying subtitles. For MP3 files something like http://www.xdlab.ru/en/index.htm is quite valuable.