Training My Dog To Stay Away From Snakes

Poo Ying FeFe

I have an incredible dog that learns very very fast. He is like a Son to me and no expense is being spared to import him to Phuket and to make that journey comfortable.

Before you ask why bring him all the way from the U.K... He is now 4 years old and he's been with me since he was 8 weeks old. He has recently developed arthritis so the warm weather and access to a private pool will help alleviate his aches. I know there are hundreds of dogs in Phuket that need a home but I already made a commitment to my dog to care and protect him.

My question relates about training him to keep away from snakes. I'd like to set up a controlled environment so that I can go through the exercises with him. I'm informed that I need to have a snake in its cage so the dog can see and smell it. As I don't want to keep a snake I will need to borrow it. Has anyone had experience of doing this? Or do you know of an alternative?

I love animals and do not want to distress a snake but my dog learns very quickly and it shouldn't take many attempts to teach him the desired behaviour.

I'd really appreciate some advice from dog owners especially if you own a large breed.

Try to keep your garden (assuming that's where your dog will spend most of it's time) clear of items that are attractive nesting places for snakes. Snakes generally will keep clear of dogs unless cornered. Speak to a vet about having some anti-venom at home, and how to use it. When taking it for a walk, keep it on a lead and avoid overgrown areas. Quiet beaches are best for exercise, especially early morning before it gets too hot, and of course the dog can cool down in the sea.

Thanks Pagallim. I agree with you.

The garden has a few shrubs that I cannot remove as its rented property. Other than that, it's a clear area. Outside the garden wall though, there is a lot of high grass. Do you think I am worrying for nothing? He is a highly inquisitive dog... Catching anything that moves.

I actually have 4 dogs, including 2 large Golden Retrievers. If you're training a dog, the most important command if off the lead is 'heel' (to return to you and sit) which would get them back from any danger you perceive. As I said earlier, best on a lead unless you're completely confident in giving voice commands to your dog that you know will be obeyed.

The other factor is that snakes are generally active at night when they're hunting frogs, rats, lizards etc. Keep your dogs inside at night (where they are also less prone to mosquito borne viruses). When you feed your dog, don't leave food in the bowl afterwards as that encourages rats, which in turn will attract snakes.

Just get a non-venemous snake, then fit your dog with one of those electroshock collars. When he goes after the snake, zap him. Lather, rinse, repeat. Pavlov would approve.

Yikes... Yes i only intend to practice with a non-venomous type :)

I actually have 4 dogs, including 2 large Golden Retrievers. If you're training a dog, the most important command if off the lead is 'heel' (to return to you and sit) which would get them back from any danger you perceive. As I said earlier, best on a lead unless you're completely confident in giving voice commands to your dog that you know will be obeyed.

He is already trained to follow the Heel, Sit, Stay etc. I'm afraid that if he sees something smelly & unusual when I haven't got my eyes on him (say I'm hanging up the washing or something) it will be fatal.

The problem I see with the dog schools is that they offer the training as a combination of courses. I'm still waiting for a reply to find out if they will do specific private training for us. I don't fancy putting him through training to be a Circus dog or a Security dog.

I'm surprised that there isn't a member that has done this controlled training themselves. The plan is to stock up on anti-venom but never have to use it.

We brought 2 dogs and 2 cats from the west a number of years ago and have never had an issue although our animals have now encountered every snake from crate to king cobra... In fact our one dog has become a very efficient herp-eradicator, killing them and burying them under our neighbour's villa!! No training required!

• Like 1

We brought 2 dogs and 2 cats from the west a number of years ago and have never had an issue although our animals have now encountered every snake from crate to king cobra... In fact our one dog has become a very efficient herp-eradicator, killing them and burying them under our neighbour's villa!! No training required!

Snakes usually have a range. They are very efficient at getting out of the way of the large local inhabitants. They know where the food and water supplies are. You rarely see them, except that they don't carry a calendar, so they can get caught out on weekends if they had had a habit of sunning themselves in an obvious spot. They can live for many years.

Along comes a dog. A large snake means one which has been around for a long time (some Australian snakes live for over 40 years in the wild). When the dog kills it, a place is vacant. It is then filled with a young snake looking for a place. It doesn't yet know the inhabitants or where to find food & water. It is anxious and therefore highly aroused. MUCH more likely to bite anything that moves. Kill that one and you perpetuate the problem. The biggest error is killling the incumbent.

I had no idea that we had a large brown snake near the house until I returned from 3 weeks in Phuket. The cat had been boarding for the first time. We no longer have dogs. So when a 2m one came tearing through my lounge room, it was clearly because it had made a mistake. Yep - the cat was 3 times normal size, it took my heart a while to stop wildly thumping. Have lived here 20 years. Haven't seen it before or since.

Different to my <deleted> neighbour who proudly killed 20 one summer.

Phuket is covered in snakes. The Vipers are to fast for a dog I am sorry to say in my opinion.

Speak to a vet about having some anti-venom at home, and how to use it. Can you tell more about this, I have never heard of it.

You can buy anti-venom from any vet. Also can get ketamine for fun and other special stuff to make you bigger