Help! Options After 15 Month Non-Imm O Visa Expires.

Wondering if anyone can please help with my visa question...

First, some background: My husband and I have had 3 back-to-back 12 month Non-Imm O visas from Hull, going back to the UK every 12 or 15 months for a visit and them returning to Thailand to continue volunteering. On 31st Jan, our latest 15 month visa (12 with a crafty 3 months added), expires but as the rules have changed for Non-Imm O visas for volunteering, it's not an option for us to fly back to the UK, visit people and get another 12 month multiple entry visa as we'd usually do. They only offer single entry for volunteering now, and we don't qualify for the other Non-Imm O types (e.g. family here, retirement etc). We don't have the cash at the moment to go back to the UK, so will have to get a new visa either in country or from bordering ones. We are currently in Chiang Mai.

With all of the above in mind, can anyone recommend where to go (eg. Laos, a consulate in Thailand, wherever) to get the longest amount of time possible in Thailand, and what visa type/duration would this be? I'm looking into the double entry tourist visa from Laos but is there anything that offers more time?

Any help much appreciated!

Tourist Visas or joining a Thai language School and get an Education Visa.

With either option you would not get a Work Permit for your volunteering.

Can you not get a 12 month extension from Immigration?

From Hull website.

1) Volunteer Work.

Evidence required:

a) Sponsor Letter from volunteer/charity organisation which must be registered in Thailand.

Only a single entry visa can be granted in these circumstances. Applicant will need to arrange Extension of Stay as necessary. Please check with volunteer/charity organisation

for what extra documentation may be required by Thai Immigration to extend stay.

From Immigration:

2.21 In the case of working

for a public charity organization, private foreign organization, foundation,

association, Foreign Chamber of Commerce, Thailand Board of Trade, or

Thailand Federation

of Industries:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

In the absence of the official

confirmation set out in clause (3), permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Confirmation and request has been made by the authorized

officer or head of that organization; and/or

(3) Confirmation and request has been made by the chief

government officer division level or equivalent and higher or chief of state enterprise or other chief of government agency who deals with that organization

whistling.gif The rukes for multi emtry Non O visas good for a year (15 months with that last 3 months thing) really haven't change ... the way they were carried out has just been changed.

It was always a 90 day visa on entrance ... but some consulates were allowed to bend the rules and issue one year visa in "special circumstances". One was Hull due to it's past special relationship with Thailand and the previous honarary counsul's family.

But the counsul is retired now and that special relationship is over.

So Hull is back to the same rules as other consulates.

Now, if you are "volunteering" in Thailand you SHOULD have a work permit.

im using a non immigrant visa from Hull, 90 day trips with a 90 day extention,so 15months still valid until september ,

this was easy to get as i just showed my Thai wife's passport and id card and said it was for visiting family,(now living in thailand)

now when this runs out will i get another one strait away in hull again?(can this be applied for in another country IE Holland where i have family?) or does there have to be a break between applying.

or would it be easer to get a ED visa? save messing with flights vs return flights dates ect,

or can i get extension of stay for family reasons?and if so how long for maximum?

Also NEWBIE, if you are in Chiang mai doing volunteer work i have much free time if i can get involved at all??

have been looking to do some volunteer work somewhere

Edited by DEANEBURNE

im using a non immigrant visa from Hull, 90 day trips with a 90 day extention,so 15months still valid until september ,

this was easy to get as i just showed my Thai wife's passport and id card and said it was for visiting family,(now living in thailand)

now when this runs out will i get another one strait away in hull again? or does there have to be a break between applying.

or would it be easer to get a ED visa? save messing with flights vs return flights dates ect,

or can i get extension of stay for family reasons?and if so how long for maximum?

You can get a one year extension of stay at immigration that costs 1900 baht. No need to leave the country every 90 days just make report to immigration every 90 days. You can get a re-entry permit after getting extension (1000 baht single or multiple 3800 baht)

You need to show 400K baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or have 40K baht income.

If you really want another multiple entry visa you can get one in KL Malaysia or Savannakhet Laos. You do not need to make the trip home every 15 months for the visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

now when this runs out will i get another one strait away in hull again? or does there have to be a break between applying.

You can get a one year extension of stay at immigration that costs 1900 baht. No need to leave the country every 90 days just make report to immigration every 90 days. You can get a re-entry permit after getting extension (1000 baht single or multiple 3800 baht)

You need to show 400K baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or have 40K baht income.

If you really want another multiple entry visa you can get one in KL Malaysia or Savannakhet Laos. You do need to make the trip home every 15 months for the visa.

So with a one year extension do i need to still show 400k income?? or proof of any residency ?? etc

Edited by DEANEBURNE

If you really want another multiple entry visa you can get one in KL Malaysia or Savannakhet Laos. You do need to make the trip home every 15 months for the visa.

So with a one year extension do i need to still show 400k income?? or proof of any residency ?? etc

The 400K baht in the bank or 40K income is a requirement to get an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai lady.

Your wife will need to show house book. If that is not where you are living you will need to show some proof of residence such as a rental contract.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

The 400K baht in the bank or 40K income is a requirement to get an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai lady.

Your wife will need to show house book. If that is not where you are living you will need to show some proof of residence such as a rental contract.

Thank you :-)

To Deaneburne

You also need a stack load of other documents like Marriage certificate, amphur registration of the marriage, copies of your passport, photos of you and your wife at home, map to your house/condo, bank books to show that you are using money for living costs, letter from Bank if using the 400K way, wifes ID card, her blue book and she must accompany you.

• Like 1

To Deaneburne

You also need a stack load of other documents like Marriage certificate, amphur registration of the marriage, copies of your passport, photos of you and your wife at home, map to your house/condo, bank books to show that you are using money for living costs, letter from Bank if using the 400K way, wifes ID card, her blue book and she must accompany you.

sounds like a trip out to another country will be easier than all the paperwork,

thank you

To Deaneburne

sounds like a trip out to another country will be easier than all the paperwork,

thank you

But then you have to leave every 90 days which means costs to yourself, but it all depends on your circumstances.

Not really if you are writing about getting another visa. The paperwork and time spent to get the extension is a lot better and less time consuming than making border runs every 90 days.

I am on my fifth extension and can attest to the advantages.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think maybe the best visa in your situation would be an ED (education) visa.

This will give you the opportunity to learn to the speak, read and write Thai language. This visa will last one year and you don't have to leave the country every 90 days - you just go to report at immigration office.

While you are on this visa and learning Thai, you will have time to look around to see what you want to do in the future in terms of staying here in Thailand.

There are several well know schools that will get your ED visa for you, but you must actually attend the schools and sign a register to prove you have been a student there. Also the immigration staff often do checks of students to make sure they are really learning the language and not abusing the visa.

I go the a school in Chiang Mai called Pro Language and they have a good reputations and are professional - I have had no problems with my ED visa, and they do all the paperwork too, which is great. There are other schools out there, but make sure you choose a reputable well known one to ensure the visa goes smoothly.