Thai Mum Sells Child Bride For B2,000

george

"It is money paid to the family who is losing a daughter.... " Is this the same as losing a buffalo? Actually I thought the daughter would only be getting married and free to visit the family at will.

Edited by chooka, Today, 06:40 .

Well, another one rejecting the Thai culture and tradition..

And Thai at Heart is right. Families do get into negociations, trying to get as much as possible. Can always say 'no'.

It is the way it is. If you want to marry a thai girl, be prepared for negociations, or go home....

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time .... If an adult women wants to and agrees to marry you and you choose to follow a custom that is practiced, as long standing custom, by some in Thailand of giving a gift (cash) to the family as part of the process then it is in no way shape or form the selling of another human and it not the least bit illegal ( probably not anywhere) as would be the selling of another human. And it certainly is not related to the raping of a child or the selling of a child for sex which is illegal.

I have no wish to debate the issue of Sin Sod with you but this news story has absolutely nothing to do with Sin Sod and is about the illegal act of child rape and the illegal act of prostituting a child and then the accused being so stupid to believe that they could get away with it by saying they made arrangements for the child to be married to the child molester. Without the approval of a court, you can't be married in Thailand unless 17 years old and they had no such permission.

So, this was not Sin Sod since no legal marriage could take place with the child nor had any marriage taken place where Sin Sod, by tradition, would be given on the day of the marriage and not before or after you allow an adult male to rape your 13-year old child.

Did you read this?

http://www.thailandl...translation#276

As was posted earlier, peoples perception of sin sod asside it says quite clearly :

"Section 277 Whoever, has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife, whether such girl shall consent or not, shall be punished with imprisonment of four to twenty years and fined of eight thousand to forty thousand Baht. If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is committed against a girl not yet over thirteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of seven to twenty years and fined of fourteen thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life"

and

"The offence as provided in the first paragraph, if the offender being the man commits against the girl over thirteen years but not yet over fifteen years of age with her consent and the Court grants such man and girl to marry together afterwards, the offender shall not be punished for such offence. If the Court grants them to marry together during the offender be still inflicted with the punishment, the Court shall release such offender."

Seems pretty clear to me, if she had turned 13 then she is over 13 years of age. Ther is probably a good chance the court would grant "them to marry together" if all partiies are in agreement.

Marrying the girl would allow the scum to go scott free acording to the law.

Beyond the fact you are absolutely 100% wrong to believe getting married after the fact would make raping a 13-year old girl since she didn't give her consent, you are wrong that a judge would allow a marriage between a 13 year old girl and her 34-year old rapist. The law allows for the court to grant permission for somebody under 17 to be married and it would be in cases such as pregnancy and OF COURSE would be with the girls consent as a court is not going to force any girl to marry nor does the law allow for such forced marriages.

I can only speak for the US but would assume the UK and many other countries have laws that allow minors to become or act as adults for the purposes of marriage, working and simply living on their own if their home life is bad and they demonstrate an ability to take care of themselves. Granting somebody the right to marry under 17 is done for similar purposes. The law was not designed to protect old men from raping children and if you notice even in the law you quote it doesn't speak of an adult having sex with a child under 15 but "whoever"

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

Last time .... If an adult women wants to and agrees to marry you and you choose to follow a custom that is practiced, as long standing custom, by some in Thailand of giving a gift (cash) to the family as part of the process then it is in no way shape or form the selling of another human and it not the least bit illegal ( probably not anywhere) as would be the selling of another human. And it certainly is not related to the raping of a child or the selling of a child for sex which is illegal.

I have no wish to debate the issue of Sin Sod with you but this news story has absolutely nothing to do with Sin Sod and is about the illegal act of child rape and the illegal act of prostituting a child and then the accused being so stupid to believe that they could get away with it by saying they made arrangements for the child to be married to the child molester. Without the approval of a court, you can't be married in Thailand unless 17 years old and they had no such permission.

So, this was not Sin Sod since no legal marriage could take place with the child nor had any marriage taken place where Sin Sod, by tradition, would be given on the day of the marriage and not before or after you allow an adult male to rape your 13-year old child.

Did you read this?

As was posted earlier, peoples perception of sin sod asside it says quite clearly :

"Section 277 Whoever, has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife, whether such girl shall consent or not, shall be punished with imprisonment of four to twenty years and fined of eight thousand to forty thousand Baht. If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is committed against a girl not yet over thirteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of seven to twenty years and fined of fourteen thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life"

and

"The offence as provided in the first paragraph, if the offender being the man commits against the girl over thirteen years but not yet over fifteen years of age with her consent and the Court grants such man and girl to marry together afterwards, the offender shall not be punished for such offence. If the Court grants them to marry together during the offender be still inflicted with the punishment, the Court shall release such offender."

Seems pretty clear to me, if she had turned 13 then she is over 13 years of age. Ther is probably a good chance the court would grant "them to marry together" if all partiies are in agreement.

Beyond the fact you are absolutely 100% wrong to believe getting married after the fact would make raping a 13-year old girl since she didn't give her consent, you are wrong that a judge would allow a marriage between a 13 year old girl and her 34-year old rapist. The law allows for the court to grant permission for somebody under 17 to be married and it would be in cases such as pregnancy and OF COURSE would be with the girls consent as a court is not going to force any girl to marry nor does the law allow for such forced marriages.

I can only speak for the US but would assume the UK and many other countries have laws that allow minors to become or act as adults for the purposes of marriage, working and simply living on their own if their home life is bad and they demonstrate an ability to take care of themselves. Granting somebody the right to marry under 17 is done for similar purposes. The law was not designed to protect old men from raping children and if you notice even in the law you quote it doesn't speak of an adult having sex with a child under 15 but "whoever"

I disagree, you are saying it s rape because she is 13 (and where we come from this is so and I agree). However if the grl (weather pressured by her family or not) says it was consensual and everyone is in agreement with the marrge why would the judge not grant consent? There would be no reason to go against the agreaved parties wishes would there?

Again, read what it says :

"if the offender being the man commits against the girl over thirteen years but not yet over fifteen years of age with her consent and the Court grants such man and girl to marry together afterwards, the offender shall not be punished for such offence"

Seems clear there is a HUGE escape clause there to me.

• Like 1

Did you read this?

and

I disagree, you are saying it s rape because she is 13 (and where we come from this is so and I agree). However if the grl (weather pressured by her family or not) says it was consensual and everyone is in agreement with the marrge why would the judge not grant consent? There would be no reason to go against the agreaved parties wishes would there?

"if the offender being the man commits against the girl over thirteen years but not yet over fifteen years of age with her consent and the Court grants such man and girl to marry together afterwards, the offender shall not be punished for such offence"

I am not sure why you want to believe what is clearly an absurd notion but the girl didn't give her consent and the OP is clear the man forced himself on her. So, even if you want to believe in the fantasy that a judge would not just allow but force a 13-year old girl to marry a 34-year old man who raped her it is not even an option of the guy getting out of the rape charge since it was not consensual and forced marriages are not legal here. I certainly hope you are just having a hard time comprehending and not suggesting the girl wanted it or for that matter wants more. Even if she was somehow emotionally damaged and did tell the judge this he would almost certainly not allow the marriage and try to get the girl help ... even if you had a judge who felt the marriage should happen, despite some people's beliefs that is acceptable and common place in Thailand there is no judge who is going to want to be known as judge who allowed such a thing .... not to mention I think it is a panel of judges who would need to make such a ruling

Edited by Nisa

I am not sure why you want to believe what is clearly an absurd notion but the girl didn't give her consent and the OP is clear the man forced himself on her. So, even if you want to believe in the fantasy that a judge would not just allow but force a 13-year old girl to marry a 34-year old man who raped her it is not even an option of the guy getting out of the rape charge since it was not consensual and forced marriages are not legal here. I certainly hope you are just having a hard time comprehending and not suggesting the girl wanted it or for that matter wants more. Even if she was somehow emotionally damaged and did tell the judge this he would almost certainly not allow the marriage and try to get the girl help ... even if you had a judge who felt the marriage should happen, despite some people's beliefs that is acceptable and common place in Thailand there is no judge who is going to want to be known as judge who allowed such a thing .... not to mention I think it is a panel of judges who would need to make such a ruling.

The law is the law, and in this country "saving face" is everything. Most women even in our world do not file rape charges because of the stigma involved and the shame of being made to go through the ordeal in court. A judge has no choice exept to follow the law. f the girl says it was consensual and all parties are in agreement (for whatever reason) the judge would have no choice but to allow it. There is no "force a girl" to do it f all parties conscent is there? Especially here as it has been stated it is commonplace in the village where this happened. The law allows it.

What makes you think it would not happen? Just because your values (and mine) say it s wrong? How many other things do you not agree with in Thailand? Do they happen none the less?

I don't know how long you have been here myself 10 years. You are certainly living n a bubble if you think for one minute that this could not happen. Why do you thiink he wanted to marry her in the first place?

Open your eyes and see the writng on the wall.

The law is the law, and in this country "saving face" is everything. Most women even in our world do not file rape charges because of the stigma involved and the shame of being made to go through the ordeal in court. A judge has no choice exept to follow the law. f the girl says it was consensual and all parties are in agreement (for whatever reason) the judge would have no choice but to allow it. There is no "force a girl" to do it f all parties conscent is there? Especially here as it has been stated it is commonplace in the village where this happened. The law allows it.

What makes you think it would not happen? Just because your values (and mine) say it s wrong? How many other things do you not agree with in Thailand? Do they happen none the less?

I don't know how long you have been here myself 10 years. You are certainly living n a bubble if you think for one minute that this could not happen. Why do you thiink he wanted to marry her in the first place?

Open your eyes and see the writng on the wall.

What you keep pointing at as some major loophole is simply lying in court. If a rapist in the US or UK says the man who actually raped her didn't and it was consensual then guess what, he goes free. If the 13-year old simply says it didn't happen, he didn't do it or somebody else did then he likely goes free too here and elsewhere and no reason for to continue on with this fantasy of the courts in Thailand granting a 13-year the right to marry a 34-year old man once accused of raping her.

Instead of asking why he wanted to marry her, which is obvious... because out of sheer stupidity he and the family thought it was a possibility and it would get them out of trouble, why not ask yourself why they are not married now and living in marital bliss?

You are really grasping here to believe it is some kind of loophole and get out of jail ticket free ticket if a child lying in court that she wasn't forcibly raped but rather it was consensual sex with a 34--year old man and then going on to lie more in court by saying she wants to marry the rapist and then to further believe a court is going to fall for this and then because they fell for it being consensual, despite her saying previously it was not, will grant a marriage to a 13-year old girl simply because she had sex with a 34-year old man she says she wants to marry which in doing so would clear the 34-year old of any wrong doing for having sex with the 13-year old to begin with.

You say face is everything but then how do you explain a court / judges making such a ruling knowing it would garner intense negative international attention and consequences and make them appear as facilitators of child molestation at best?

I know you are very bent on wanting to believe some conspiracy or big loophole in the law but it simply is not the reality. Though I am not in the mood too look up specifics but would guess lying and conspiring to lie to the court as well as witness intimidation (forcing the young girl to lie) are all illegal acts here just like elsewhere and not loopholes in the law.

Edited by Nisa

Shameful, absolutely shameful. Sterilise the parents and give them 20 years each. Or sell them to a nice caring hi-so Thai chinese family for 10 years hard domestic labour.

~~~it still violated the law which protects children below the age of 15~~~

So children over 15 can be sold by their parents to rapists with impunity? Bravo to the other villagers for raising the alarm and not sweeping it under the carpet.

Yes. Google "Phuket Bride at 16". Married to a 28 year old whom she had never met for one baht-weight of gold and 30,000B, and they didn't even speak the same language.

She looks thrilled about it.

Capture-8.jpg

And FYI people, this kind of shit happens in a lot of places around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage

Edited by NomadJoe

Shameful, absolutely shameful. Sterilise the parents and give them 20 years each. Or sell them to a nice caring hi-so Thai chinese family for 10 years hard domestic labour.

~~~it still violated the law which protects children below the age of 15~~~

So children over 15 can be sold by their parents to rapists with impunity? Bravo to the other villagers for raising the alarm and not sweeping it under the carpet.

Yes. Google "Phuket Bride at 16". Married to a 28 year old whom she had never met for one baht-weight of gold and 30,000B, and they didn't even speak the same language.

She looks thrilled about it.

Capture-8.jpg

And FYI people, this kind of shit happens in a lot of places around the world.

http://en.wikipedia..../Child_marriage

Sad and even sadder that the marriage will probably last a long time because of the girls upbringing and religious expectations. I tried briefly to find out her birth date but didn't see it. I imagine they did the ceremony and arrangements while she was 16 but doubt they registered the marriage legally until she was 17. Makes you realize how young 17 is to be getting married but not much different than 16 or 18. Not sure what the right age should be legally but it is good to see the average age continuing to rise in Thailand as education becomes better and poverty is less prevalent.

Edit: He nor the family looking too thrilled either

Edited by Nisa

Disgusting! Thai culture or just the need of money?

BOTH ! We all know most of the Thais are just too lazy to work, BUT they all have money to drink Lao every day, smoke (whatever what...), we also see many beggars and "garbage bin jumpers" with very nice/expensive mobiles, etc...

At the other hand i have to admid that the system keeps them dumb and poor, and nobody of those hi-so and government craps gives a shit ! Many of those poor basterds are forced to do bad things to survive.. Of course this is very wrong and sad what happened here and they should punish as well the parents as the guy who "bought" his 13-year old bride !! But again, i'm not surprised that this happens in amazing Thailand!

Also the fact that it's allowed that men can have a bride from... 15 years old is CRAZYNESS, but unfortunately it's Thai culture and "law" (whatever this last word means in TH). There are so many crazy laws in TH that for us, farangs, doesn't make any sense.... Like prostitution is forbidden by law, but it's one of the main incomes in Thailand! and not only in places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, etc... But in the country side are so many brothels where only LOTS of Thai men come every day.. And do you think government and police don't know this...? lol.... they are on the list of visitors.... shame on Thailand !!

So its crazy to be able to marry at 15 ??? But in the 'educated UK you have to wait until you are a mature 16 ? IS Britain also crazy ? Should women be 30 before they can marry ? What world do you wish to live in & good luck finding fundamental religious nuts to join you there.

Just because Farangs cannot understand Thai law and culture does not make it wrong just means you live in a blinkered world unable to have open mind due to your narrow Western unbringing.

On prostitution, well it exists everywhere & closing a few brothels is hardly going to stamp out the practice here or in any Western society.

OMG police on brothel lists, gosh that would never happen in a civilised society & I can't think of any 'repectable' country that has had Police that use prostitutes & never anyone in Government jobs. Must only be Thailand thats depraved ?

What are you doing living in a country that's so crazy and a place where you find it's culture is 'disgusting'

I think most of the commentors in this post probably live in Thailand and don't keep up with the news reports in the western world. This isn't just happening in as you like to keep saying, "amazing Thailand". This and much worse happens all over the world. Women in India are sexually abused and have far fewer rights than in Thailand. Also Pakistan and many other middle eastern countries, with laws such as a rape is not a rape unless it is witnessed by 3 or more men, otherwise it will be deemed a false allegation and she will be punished, possibly hanged. At least there is a law against these depraved actions in Thailand even if they are not always obeyed. I'm far from condoning what happens in Thailand, but statements suggesting...'only in Thailand' or 'Thais must be from another world' or 'police and government officials in civilised societies don't use prostitutes' I think the people in here posting this crap are the ones who live in another world of make believe.

I think most of the commentors in this post probably live in Thailand and don't keep up with the news reports in the western world. This isn't just happening in as you like to keep saying, "amazing Thailand". This and much worse happens all over the world. Women in India are sexually abused and have far fewer rights than in Thailand. Also Pakistan and many other middle eastern countries, with laws such as a rape is not a rape unless it is witnessed by 3 or more men, otherwise it will be deemed a false allegation and she will be punished, possibly hanged. At least there is a law against these depraved actions in Thailand even if they are not always obeyed. I'm far from condoning what happens in Thailand, but statements suggesting...'only in Thailand' or 'Thais must be from another world' or 'police and government officials in civilised societies don't use prostitutes' I think the people in here posting this crap are the ones who live in another world of make believe.

I am glad you bring up so the best countries I am glad you and daughter are happy in Pakistan

Thought these kind of stories were an urban myth. Guess not.... :-( As well I think this story will have a

detrimental effect on the value of sin sod for bar girls. " But honey I just saw a sin sod of 2000 baht on Thai Visa. Why does your

family want one million baht? " I think Thai at Heart is correct, these people must be from another planet.

Who in the hell would sell their daughter?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Obviously anyone that has need of some money. It not only happens in Thailand but a lot of other poverty stricken countries.

coffee1.gif

This is typical for any rural comminity in Thailand especially the north east.

Are you forgetting the rest of Thailand?

We were walking in Silom witha friend from Europe and we were aproached by a lady offering us a "virgin" for B300

................ no we didn't take up the offer....... we can't tell one virgin from the other cheesy.gif didn't want to get get ripped off!!

Thought these kind of stories were an urban myth. Guess not.... :-( As well I think this story will have a

detrimental effect on the value of sin sod for bar girls. " But honey I just saw a sin sod of 2000 baht on Thai Visa. Why does your

family want one million baht? " I think Thai at Heart is correct, these people must be from another planet.

Who in the hell would sell their daughter?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Obviously anyone that has need of some money. It not only happens in Thailand but a lot of other poverty stricken countries.

coffee1.gif

Yea what's the big huff about. Edited by chooka

Ah, okay Nisa, dressedingreen and all the others "it happens everywhere, so don't bother": fine!

We just sit back and relax, don't bother, don't feel sick and disgusted...mai pen rai!

And the next time some red or yellow- mob settles in the city or at the airport, we just let it be. It's a Thai- thing, so don't bother!

And if someone kills someone for 500 baht- they always have done it like that, so...<deleted>?

Just chill out, have a beer and put on the rose tinted glasses.

Just for your information: I guess, most of us know, these kind of things happen elsewhere...

...and why does that not make me feel one bit better?

DocN!

I don't mind you referring to any of my posts. But when you do so please read the post carefully before attributing assumptions to what I have said. Nowhere in my post does it say, or even strongly suggest, that I have a 'don't bother' attitude. Just the opposite. The story I linked to is unequivocal in its condemnation of child brides. I suggested, at the end of my piece, that just posting how angry it all makes the majority of expats who read this forum doesn't actually change anything (the unwritten suggestion being that active support of those agencies that raise awareness and funds to fight this kind of unenlightened practice would be a more helpful way of showing concern).

Your own cliche ridden post adds nothing of any value to the discussion. Just another outburst of unhelpful anger ... until tomorrow's folk devil appears for us to vent over. How many of the following organizations have you contributed money or other help to in your lifetime? The Elders ICRW Hope CWA Care IOWD Population Council EMC Veerni

I'd seriously question your assertion that 'most of us know, these kind of things happen elsewhere'. This topic has had over 200 replies. I suggest you count how many actually refer to the the fact that similar instances occur in other cultures. Ask yourself what you knew about the subject before you stopped by, vented, and carried on with your daily life.

It's easy for any of us to throw a little manufactured anger at an injustice at the time of reading and, feeling we've 'contributed', carry on as usual. It momentarily assuages our annoyance that we can't control the world.

But then what?

DIG

Pointing out the fact, that it happens elsewhere, changes exactly what and makes exactly which of my post invalid or unqualified, even if they are driven by emotions?

I do believe that most of the posters on this thread know, that child- marriage, arranged marriages, child rape etc. are "common" in many place. I know it, since I have been reading newspapers and followed educational TV- programs since I was 14 or 15. Because it interested me. And I am member of or actively support several organisations, though I am sorry...none of you favorites is among them. I guess, that is because you simply can not support one organisation for everything that is bad in the world.

But why should I acknowledge, that bad things happen in other cultures, everytime something happens in the country where I live?

And why should I not be outraged by this happening in Thailand?

And why do ANY of you find it so dam_n important to point out the fact "it happens elsewhere as well" anytime something bad happens here?

And what dam_n difference does it make?

Do we feel better now, that we know, children get raped everyday somewhere?

Does it make this case less valid or less disgusting?

What is your point in doing this?

• Like 2

I remember having a cute gf in Udonthani. I wanted to take her to Phuket for a week, but the mother insisted i marry her first. I thought, hmmm - how much can a monk ceremony and some food cost? Then the uncle told me I needed to pay him B300,000 also! Full stop.... (But for B2000, i would have done it)

Whew thanks for responding to that drivel filled post first. I was terrified to respond when I saw the sheer power

and dominating aspect of the last part of the post. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Well, the tactic of challenging supposedly massively ill-informed generalisations and opinions placed here by posters, by writing a post that contains crass generalisations, is hardly a winning arguement in my book. Actually reading his piece, I think, possibly, he doth protest too much, he just doesn't know it yet. biggrin.png

@Considered Opinion. The comments from smotherb that you so admire have absolutely no relevance to the topic. The OP is about rape and an attempted abuse of Sin Sod. Many who post on TV are involved with Thailand and it's people and abhor the abuse of children. Their are others who post inflammatory/ill-informed content, such as you.

As you previously suggested to a member in this topic; please be quiet.

• Like 1

@Considered Opinion. The comments from smotherb that you so admire have absolutely no relevance to the topic. The OP is about rape and an attempted abuse of Sin Sod. Many who post on TV are involved with Thailand and it's people and abhor the abuse of children. Their are others who post inflammatory/ill-informed content, such as you.

I'm sorry dear. Did I use a word you had a problem with?

I'm sorry dear. Did I use a word you had a problem with?

Not a word, you

Seems that some posters wouldn't have had a problem if the guy'd paid $ 30 million.

It's not about for how much she was sold. It's about THAT she was sold in the age of 13...

No even you have only got it half right.

There are two issues:

1. that she was raped, at the age of 13,
  2. and then sold.

• Like 1