I'm Thinking Of Moving To Doi Saket. Questions, I Got 'em.

WtFugarwe

I have a place there. The nearest immigration office is in CM. It's very quiet and rural and I really enjoy my time there among the friendly farmers, and hope that there will never be a Tesco, Rimping or any expat organizations anywhere nearby. There are quite a few upscale homes widely scattered around the district, and a few good restaurants.

I have a place there. The nearest immigration office is in CM. It's very quiet and rural and I really enjoy my time there among the friendly farmers, and hope that there will never be a Tesco, Rimping or any expat organizations anywhere nearby. There are quite a few upscale homes widely scattered around the district, and a few good restaurants.

But I'll bet you have an ever present 7-11 to do all your shopping. laugh.pnglaugh.pngthumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

I don't care for Tesco or Rimping in Doi saket all I need is Mc Donal and Pizza company in the area and it's all good.

You forgot the red light district !

That's there. Not a 'district' of course, but for starters there's the place with the swimming pool with all the chicks around (well, the shaded parts). Always a good and relaxing time there.

But I'll bet you have an ever present 7-11 to do all your shopping. laugh.pnglaugh.pngthumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

Mrs. hopper does all the shopping, but in addition to the 7-11 there's also a Tesco express and some great fresh markets, and Rimping is only 20 minutes further. A decent small hospital too, but all the resources of CM are only a half hour away. No nearby mountains though so probably not of interest to anyone who uses a brush axe to hunt and gather.

• Like 2

When I finally move to Thailand, Doi Saket would be my choice. It has developed quite a lot since I first saw it 15 years ago, but still has enough rural quiet for me.

- the mix of local markets, local driveby stalls....and Rimping Ruamchok, Big C just 20 mins drive away

- the friendly little Post Office opposite the hospital at the base of Doi Saket

- Laconda restaurant, good pizza's + home-made pasta

DISLIKES

difficulty crossing the road & making u-turns because the long straight road allows drivers to drive at high speed

It's just too far out of town, the drive into CM gets old very fast..

Internet sucks big time, if you can only get ToT (including most of ban wiang doi).

The Thai food places aren't very good.

The western food places are way overpriced.

The local hospital is just plain nasty, with huge queues.

And it floods every other year.

The temple is nice.

It has 7-11 and small Tesco Lotus.

There are many closer places to CM, much nicer.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Built and moved to Doi Sakhet about 2 years ago - and never looked back.

If you like quite country life not too far from the city it is a great place to live. Made lots of new friends, locals are friendly and helpfull, hardly ever go out now meet with friends at our place or theirs, enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine sitting outside overlooking the rice fields - do a lot more home cooking than eating out.

Outside the city one can afford a much larger plot of land with a beautiful garden / BBQ area.

As for shopping - soon Chiang Mai's largest shopping mall "Central Festival" will be just at the end of the road going into the city.

I am without Thai woman. Will it be easy or difficult to get one there?

Ordinarily a mod would simply delete this comment, for being "off topic".

The topic (that you started) is "Moving To Doi Saket".

It is not "Where Do I Find A Thai Woman".

Before the keyboard brigade jumps in on this one, please be warned the topic will be instantly closed if we veer in this direction, and thanks for your understanding.

It's not difficult if you prepare to have a house in her name you can easily 'get one' , many farangs did just that.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Ordinarily a mod would simply delete this comment, for being "off topic".

The topic (that you started) is "Moving To Doi Saket".

It is not "Where Do I Find A Thai Woman".

Before the keyboard brigade jumps in on this one, please be warned the topic will be instantly closed if we veer in this direction, and thanks for your understanding.

I was going to give the op my lowdown on Doi Saket but instead I'll leave him with this advice on his second question. This is curated from a previous post of his;

Advice

1. Go slow. Don't search for Ms. Right until you learn some Thai and learn some of the Thai way.

2. Every Thai woman has friends and relatives that want to meet a falang man. Find the wife of a friend you trust and get introduced through the friend.

3. Chill, dude. Thailand is a man's world.

Edited by anonymouse
  • Like 1