1Tb Disk Upgrade For Macbook Pro (Early 2011)

TheScribe

I'm looking upgrade my MBP. I've ordered the 8MB RAM (from Apple because I can't afford a failure).

I want to replace the current 360GB hard disk with a 1TB. I'm in Chiang Mai - anyone have advice on where to find one, and what models/prices I can expect? Thanks.

check here

http://www.hwhinter.com/price.php

Click on Hard Disk Internal 2.5" (NB), that's notebook HDDs. The cheapest one I see is the WD 1TB drive for 2590.

The MacBook Pro can fit all sizes of hard disks so you don't need to make sure it's a 9.5mm drive, 12 should work as well.

You can install this yourself - just do a time machine backup, have a USB start stick or CD ready, swap HDDs, then restore from time machine. On the hardware side, it's pretty simple to do, just pop the back panel and the HDD is right there.

Or if you don't want to do that, go to MacZone in Central Khad Sun Khao and have them do it for you. They charge 800 or 1000 baht for the install, you can bring your own HDD or buy from them. They used to be more expensive than hardware house but I'd check beforehand. If it's not a big different it might be better to let them handle it all, so they are responsible if something doesn't work.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Western Digital HDD. Apple uses Hitachi drives in their US models. Even though they are made in Thailand, they aren't sold here. So when I replaced mine I bought a Seagate drive. Have you thought about putting in a solid state drive? Much faster than a HDD. Then just get an external drive for media and other storage.

Thanks for the tips, guys. At the moment only the Western Digital is available and prices are better on Amazon UK, so I'll only upgrade the RAM and sort the rest when I'm back in Blighty.

If you running on single 2.5 inches HDD. Would suggest you choose 7200rpm Hardisk. You will fee more snappier compare to 5400rpm that you have now.

Thanks for the tips, guys. At the moment only the Western Digital is available and prices are better on Amazon UK, so I'll only upgrade the RAM and sort the rest when I'm back in Blighty.

If you running on single 2.5 inches HDD. Would suggest you choose 7200rpm Hardisk. You will fee more snappier compare to 5400rpm that you have now.

Very true! But not nearly as fast as a SSD.

I would suggest upgrade an SSD + HDD Caddy case like below. You got the speed and storage minus the Optical drive.

optibay1.jpg

This is what I did to my Macbook Pro 13" (2011)

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNzE1LTAwMDI3LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNzE1LTAwMDI2LmpwZw.jpg

Let me know if you need help on this. I am around CM.

Could I do that with my mid-2010 13-inch MBP? I rarely use the optical drive so I would love to do something along the same lines as the above and just use an external optical drive as and when needed.

I would suggest upgrade an SSD + HDD Caddy case like below. You got the speed and storage minus the Optical drive.

optibay1.jpg

Could I do that with my mid-2010 13-inch MBP? I rarely use the optical drive so I would love to do something along the same lines as the above and just use an external optical drive as and when needed.

optibay1.jpg

Yes. Definitely can.

You can check out ifixit link here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/4305/1

• 10 months later...