Education Visa - How Many Hours At School?

Hi,

How many hours do I need to be at school every week to get an educational visa? Do I need to study outside the school in addition to those hours at school? I would like to learn Thai but I don't want to spend all day doing it. Is it possible to study for just one or two hours a day?

Renoir

Most schools require 4 hours per week. Unless you can get a 1 year multi entry visa. The visa must be extended every 90 days and costs 1900 baht. You must have paperwork from the school showing that you are still enrolled and have attended. No outside work required.

Thanks Wayned. I am planning to move to South East Asia next year and stay in Thailand for a while. I could get a retirement visa then but since I want to learn some Thai, I guess an Education visa would be better. No proof of income or money in the bank.

Renoir

The minimum requirement for a Thai course to obtain an ED Visa is 150 hours over a one year period. There is no weekly anything, talk to your school about scheduling. I just finished off my first year of a 180 hour basic language course that was taken in two 3 hours sessions per week for around 7 months (it will vary slightly due to Thai holidays and teacher vacations etc). The ED Visa (in the case of a language course) is a 90 day visa that can be extended (in my case) for up to 3 years. This is a language course we're talking about not a full time student degree course etc. so the 90 day ED Visa is the proper one in this discussion. Don't worry about multiple entry, you can (and must) get a re-entry permit from your local immigration before you leave Thailand for whatever reason - 1,000 baht each permit. After your first 90 days is up, you go to immigration and get a 90 day extension - 1,900 baht. After that period is up you return to immigration and obtain a second extension that will complete the full one year from the time you entered Thailand with your ED Visa - 1,900 baht. If you decide to take a second year - intermediate Thai - then you will obtain a one year extension for 1,900 baht. Choose a reputable school and they will supply all the necessary paperwork for visa and extensions. You will also be required to do 90 day reports. Summing up: get your ED Visa outside of Thailand (2,000 baht) with the paperwork your school will supply. Two extensions (one 90 day, one 187 (in my case) day) with the paperwork your school will supply at 1,900 baht for each extension. Four 90 reports, no charge. This is not hearsay, this is my personal experience over the last year, including the trip to Vientiane to obtain the ED Visa and my extensions in Chiang Mai - My steps: Entry into Thailand July 11, 2012, 90 days used on Visa running to Oct 8, 2012, 90 day extension running to Jan 6, 2013, 187 day extension running to July 12, 2013. The dates listed here are the actual permission to stay stamped in my passport, not hearsay or somebody told me etc.

BTW - if you want to actually learn the language study at home is necessary. Class is not a magic wand, you need to study and use the language everyday to learn it, it's a tough language to learn.

Actually an ED visa for anything can be single or multi entry (valid for one year) version depending where issued - each entry limited to 90 days. Extensions can be anything up to a year but normally for language are only 90 days (but this varies by immigration office/school to some extent).

Actually an ED visa for anything can be single or multi entry (valid for one year) version depending where issued - each entry limited to 90 days. Extensions can be anything up to a year but normally for language are only 90 days (but this varies by immigration office/school to some extent).

I agree completely concerning the 90 each entry. The last two times I was in Vientiane, once for a TV and then my ED I overheard the girl behind the wicket very gruffly tell the guy(s) in front of me "I give you one entry." I confirmed in both cases that they were applying for their ED visas. So, for all practical purposes, at least from Vientiane, it's a one off. But still, it's no big deal going to immigration to get a re-entry permit during any one of your extensions. As they say though "Your mileage may vary"

Thanks Wayned. I am planning to move to South East Asia next year and stay in Thailand for a while. I could get a retirement visa then but since I want to learn some Thai, I guess an Education visa would be better. No proof of income or money in the bank.

Renoir

If you are american you don't need to put money in bank for retirement visa...all you need to do is go to usa embassy and swear/affirm that you have the money and they give you a letter and that will do it...retirement visa i think better and likley cheaper and not have to tie your visa to some school program . Not sure if nationalities other than american can get embassy letters.

Hi. At my school I do 6 hours a week.

Its up to you how many hours a week you like to do, but most schools with the ED visa its about 6 hours. You can do it all in one day, or space the hours out over the week.

You do not have to study outside the school - but you will want to if you want to learn Thai language!

I go the Pro Language School in Chiang Mai......I found this on their website about the ED visa application and costs.....hope this helps you.

Student visa courses are available in both Thai and English lessons. Students who register for 180 lessons (Thai course), or 90 lessons (English course), and pay the full tuition fee of 23,000 baht/course will be eligible for a 1 year ED Visa. First, students will get a Non-immigrant ED Visa for 3 months and then a 9 month Student Visa by extending it every 3 months and paying a Government fee of 1,900 baht. The school will prepare all the documents from the Ministry of Education for the students to have the Visa issued from a Thai Embassy and to get it extended at the Immigration on Chaengwattana road in Bangkok or at another Immigration office.

Hi everyone!

I have a question about minimum hours required for one year ED Visa. I've just visited a Thai Solutions school on Koh Phangan, it has opened recently. And they have a 100 hours course of Thai which they say is enough for 1 year visa. The lessons are 6 hours a week, so 100 hours should be finished in about 4-5 months. But they say it's not a problem and they will give all the papers to extend a visa for 1 year every 90 days without paying them for more hours. Asked them twice - they confidently said it's OK. They also have 150 and 200 hours courses for the same 1 year visa, but a bit more expensive. Which course is it better to join to be sure that I will get a visa?

Of course I understand that 100 hours is almost nothing to learn the language, but at the moment the visa is more important.

I'm interested if there is any requirement from MOE for this or it's up to school to decide for how many hours they make papers for 1 year visa? Can it make any problem with the extensions at immigration office after the hours finish? Can't find any official information about it. Thanks in advance!