Exercise Floor Mat

westbounder

Does anyone know where I can get soft dense foam or another type of thick floor padding for exercise mats?

I want to use it to lay on/exercise and also protect the floor from dropped heavy weights.

Back in the States the fitness centers use a thick dence foam about 1-1/2 inches thick.

I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like it here in Chiang Mai or has any ideas of what else I can use.

Thank You...

I bought rubber from a gym strore in Bangkok, rubber mat around 420cm by 100 cm by 12mm weighing (100kg) I cut it in 2 and put it under my power rack and on top of it i put some cheaper and softer rubber mat. This is a good solution for me as i can drop heavy weights without any problems now.

If you are interested i could give you the address but because its in Bangkok it might not be interesting for you.

gym.jpg

Edited by robblok

Hi. A local Thai makes excellent exercise mats on Sri Poom/Sanamkila Rd, professional quality for a reasonable price.

Great for exercising or as a spare sleeping mat for guests.

Head north from Thapae Gate; top of and inside the khlong road about 200 meters as you round the curve going west, nearly opposite Wat PaaPao. It is between a bike shop before and a bamboo/wicker shop on the corner soi past it.

We'll be returning for more. They sell a standard length but you can order smaller versions.

Hi. A local Thai makes excellent exercise mats on Sri Poom/Sanamkila Rd, professional quality for a reasonable price.

Great for exercising or as a spare sleeping mat for guests.

Head north from Thapae Gate; top of and inside the khlong road about 200 meters as you round the curve going west, nearly opposite Wat PaaPao. It is between a bike shop before and a bamboo/wicker shop on the corner soi past it.

We'll be returning for more. They sell a standard length but you can order smaller versions.

post-17071-0-79081900-1358580160_thumb.j

@tango if it can double as a sleeping mat is not dense as the OP wants and not suitable for weights. If you look at the picture from my gym you see dense mat with softer mat on top. Too soft will make exercise dangerous (if its really 12mm soft)

I bought rubber from a gym strore in Bangkok, rubber mat around 420cm by 100 cm by 12mm weighing (100kg) I cut it in 2 and put it under my power rack and on top of it i put some cheaper and softer rubber mat. This is a good solution for me as i can drop heavy weights without any problems now.

If you are interested i could give you the address but because its in Bangkok it might not be interesting for you.

gym.jpg

Nice setup, how much did you pay for the power rack?

Waffle, i bought it around 5 years ago it was cheaper then, 19.000 i believe came with that olympic car and 170kg of 50mm weights.

If you need something like that the following shops can provide

-Ultimate fitness Thailand (great quality German owner keeps his promises and equipment is great) wish i bought it there

-Gymware (thai owner speaks good English and usually replies to emails

- Phuket health shop, they seem to supply powertec products.

I bought it at jackies fitness in BKK but think all of the above ones are better for service and quality. Not that there is anything wrong with my power rack. Just that i have had better experiences with the other shops.

Edited by robblok

Thanks Robblok, thats a good deal for what you got, especially with the plates and olympic bar,

I live not too far from a powerlifting gym so I train there during the weekdays but I d love a setup like that at home.

Regards.

Thanks Robblok, thats a good deal for what you got, especially with the plates and olympic bar,

I live not too far from a powerlifting gym so I train there during the weekdays but I d love a setup like that at home.

Regards.

I only got the setup like this because i was too far away from any decent gym. Most close by almost had no free weights. Anyway this kept me busy exercising all the time so i think for me its money well spend. To be honest i spend a lot more on my gym then most people would for 7 years of training. But that will even out in the future. Just the fact that i kept active and have no excuse not to train is worth a lot to me.

My most expensive stuff were a concept 2 model d rower and now a pair of iron master quicklock dumbells that go up to 120lbs. The taxes and shipping killed me on that. But its worth it. Im sure i blew a lot less money then some on girls and drinking.. though arguably they had more fun biggrin.png

Plus you must be real sure to stay here else its money down the drain.Though it does hold his value quite well.

Edited by robblok

@tango if it can double as a sleeping mat is not dense as the OP wants and not suitable for weights. If you look at the picture from my gym you see dense mat with softer mat on top. Too soft will make exercise dangerous (if its really 12mm soft)

Believe me...it's dense. Go ahead drop your dumbbells.

All my guests like it. So do I.

Great for whats ailing one's back.

Why not check it out, the location is handy. And no I have no commercial interest in the site. Just a quality Thai family business offering quality at a really attractive price.

Man. It's like 'spongebob' the mattress guru is hovering hawking his fitness wares.

It's a jungle out there.

Believe me...it's dense. Go ahead drop your dumbbells.

All my guests like it. So do I.

Great for whats ailing one's back.

Why not check it out, the location is handy. And no I have no commercial interest in the site. Just a quality Thai family business offering quality at a really attractive price.

Man. It's like 'spongebob' the mattress guru is hovering hawking his fitness wares.

It's a jungle out there.

I also have no interests, just cant believe that something that people like to lie on (implies soft) would be be "hard" enough to handle a dumbbell drop. But you have seen the material i have not.

I have seen what happens if you drop a dumbbell on something that is too soft.. it bounces with dangerous consequences. Anyway its for the OP to look i got what i wanted already. It would be good if either your post or my post helped a bit. But he has not said anything so far.

I think if you look for it you can get good deals, recently i sold a lot of my weights (30mm) to someone. I doubt that making steel plates will be cheaper as buying them as labor isnt the biggest cost. But if you want a good workout a home gym often (unless you spend a lot) isnt better as a normal gym.