I Go 7, Ok, Honey?

LarryBird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find if you speak to anyone who understands some English correctly (excluding difficult words etc.) clearly and slowly if necessary (like if you have a Boston accent, you know who I'm talking to) they will understand but perhaps not be able respond with the same fluency and it will help them speak better in the long run.

• Like 1

put up a sign in your place: "Only Customers who speak proper English will be entertained!"

Lol, I really laugh about those people speaking such a Baby English to their wifes, how could they ever learn?

My colleague, an Engineer, he's intelligent but he speaks such a baby English to his Bangladeshi wife. I always shake my head in disbelief hearing them on the telephone talking...

Edited by yannic
  • Like 2

I find if you speak to anyone who understands some English correctly (excluding difficult words etc.) clearly and slowly if necessary (like if you have a Boston accent, you know who I'm talking to) they will understand but perhaps not be able respond with the same fluency and it will help them speak better in the long run.

Yes, for heavens sake, don't speak to Thai's in pidgeon English either. When you do so they will obviously conclude that it is either correct or at least acceptable. They will never improve that way. Thais speaking pidgeon English leaves the impression to others that they learned their English on a bar stool, even if that is not true.

• Like 2

One of my pet peeves is Westerners who talk to other Westerners in pigeon English.

One of my pet peeves is Westerners writing pigeon English instead of pidgin English. rolleyes.gif

(A pigeon is a bird. An annoying one for sure, but it doesn't speak any kind of English.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

Pigeon English: an extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities of China, as the medium of communication between foreign merchants and the Chinese. Its base is English, with a mixture of Portuguese and Hindustani. http://www.thefreedi.../Pigeon English

Edited by Ulysses G.

One of my pet peeves is Westerners who talk to other Westerners in pigeon English.

One of my pet peeves is Westerners writing pigeon English instead of pidgin English. rolleyes.gif

(A pigeon is a bird. An annoying one for sure, but it doesn't speak any kind of English.)

Pigeon English: an extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities of China, as the medium of communication between foreign merchants and the Chinese. Its base is English, with a mixture of Portuguese and Hindustani. http://www.thefreedi.../Pigeon English

That's not correct. That site claims the info comes from Merriam-Webster, but actually that site/dictionary correctly includes it as pidgin English. ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pigeon%20english )

Anyway I know it's an often made mistake; that's why it's a pet-preeve, so bare with me. ( :P )

• Like 1

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

People obviously have been writing it incorrectly for so long that it's finally become accepted. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Many many years ago (about 35) I witnessed one of the funniest interactions between a Thai waiter and an Aussie. Thai waiter spoke very good English but could not understand one iota of what the Aussie was saying and my wife had to interpret from Oz speak to Thai. This was the Thai waiter's first conversation with an Aussie and unfortunately found that the many hundreds of hours he had spent perfecting his English on the BBC home service in this case left him woefully unprepared. Waiter had to be reassured by wife that "it's not you, it's him".

• Like 2

Many many years ago (about 35) I witnessed one of the funniest interactions between a Thai waiter and an Aussie. Thai waiter spoke very good English but could not understand one iota of what the Aussie was saying and my wife had to interpret from Oz speak to Thai. This was the Thai waiter's first conversation with an Aussie and unfortunately found that the many hundreds of hours he had spent perfecting his English on the BBC home service in this case left him woefully unprepared. Waiter had to be reassured by wife that "it's not you, it's him".

In those cases I would probably translate Ozziespeak to English; makes the waiter feel better. ;)

• Like 2

Interesting subject. I was wondering if the Thai's who are only spoken to in proper English what ever that is ever learn it.

Heck there are Ozzie's and Brit's who I am sure will tell you they speak proper English that I can't understand.

The OP's point is that it's OK to talk to your wife in baby talk if that's what sails your boat, but don't talk to other farangs in baby talk it makes the farang sound stupid. It seems that some people are so used to baby talk and only being able to use the odd word of Thai during their interactions with 'teerak' tongue.png that they develop an inability to speak properly to anyone else. I wonder what makes people think That Thai's only want baby talk anyway? I guess some farangs have to find some way of communicating to a person they have committed their life to, but can't understand. I don't know why some couple's dont go to a sign language course together, it would be much easier.......(and easier on the ear)

I agree that some dialects of English are quite difficult to understand.

• Like 1

Speaking this way (let's call it Thanglish and not some sort of coop talk blink.png ) is somewhat habitual especially if you're trying to learn to speak Thai. You find out quickly enough that Thai language drops many of the conjunctions we use and the use of adjectives is rare as well. So, "where you go?" instead of "where are you going" is technically correct when dropping the "are" and "ing" Then responding to a "Can you do ___" kind of question with a "Cannot do" is (technically) grammatically correct.