I Go 7, Ok, Honey?

LarryBird

-- Just to clarify, my intent with this thread wasn't to take a stab at how Thai people speak English. I think a lot of them do a good job with it, and most speak better English than I speak Thai, so.... It was kind of a light hearted jab at farang speaking to their friends the same way they speak to Thai people.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- Just to clarify, my intent with this thread wasn't to take a stab at how Thai people speak English. I think a lot of them do a good job with it, and most speak better English than I speak Thai, so.... It was kind of a light hearted jab at farang speaking to their friends the same way they speak to Thai people.

I caught the gist of the topic right away, LarryBird. I often laugh at myself when using Thai terminology when speaking to farangs. It is just a form of habit. I'm scared what I might say when I go back to Canada. I expect to get some strange looks when I say " Ka pun ka" instead of thankyou.

put up a sign in your place: "Only Customers who speak proper English will be entertained!"

Lol, I really laugh about those people speaking such a Baby English to their wifes, how could they ever learn?

My colleague, an Engineer, he's intelligent but he speaks such a baby English to his Bangladeshi wife. I always shake my head in disbelief hearing them on the telephone talking...

I agree, its like saying to your spouse; "you're too stupid to learn or understand proper English, so I'm going to speak to you like you are a moron."rolleyes.gif

Probably that's the fact and that's why he speaks like that.

Most Thais can hardly speak any English, and pidgeon is the best level they'd ever understand.

Just my2cent:

The story with baby englisch (or babywhateverlanguage) works. It's proved!

Everyone of you (and me), the parents talked baby talk.

For most of us, it worked out.

So the question, methinks: Why it's not working here?whistling.gif

put up a sign in your place: "Only Customers who speak proper English will be entertained!"

Lol, I really laugh about those people speaking such a Baby English to their wifes, how could they ever learn?

My colleague, an Engineer, he's intelligent but he speaks such a baby English to his Bangladeshi wife. I always shake my head in disbelief hearing them on the telephone talking...

I agree, its like saying to your spouse; "you're too stupid to learn or understand proper English, so I'm going to speak to you like you are a moron."rolleyes.gif

Most Thais can hardly speak any English, and pidgeon is the best level they'd ever understand.

How are they ever going to improve if we ourselves talk like numpties

Better no drink and talk?giggle.gif

I caught the gist of the topic right away, LarryBird. I often laugh at myself when using Thai terminology when speaking to farangs. It is just a form of habit. I'm scared what I might say when I go back to Canada. I expect to get some strange looks when I say " Ka pun ka" instead of thankyou.

So do you deliberately avoid Gowlee, Jin, Nippon, Kairks and Neegos, and only speak to white foreigners?

Or do you use a different terminology when speaking to those other racial groups?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You must get strange looks here as well if you think that is how to say thank you whistling.gif

• Like 2

Strange how Thai's don't speak English to their friends because of habit......they don't have the same problem.

Farangs that talk English to other farangs, do it on purpose......."oh you speak Thai?"....(blush blush)...."oh not really nitnoy krap"

Just my2cent:

The story with baby englisch (or babywhateverlanguage) works. It's proved!

Everyone of you (and me), the parents talked baby talk.

For most of us, it worked out.

So the question, methinks: Why it's not working here?whistling.gif

gaga gah goo.

As I mentioned before, I was on the ferry over to Koh Samet and was sitting beside 3 white fellows who were constantly talking. I could hardly understand a word they were saying and I was trying to figure out what nationality they were. It wasn't until just before docking that they told me they were from London, England. That is where my Canadian sister lives and even she's picked up a British accent.

Cor blimey guv are you mutton jeff ?

As I mentioned before, I was on the ferry over to Koh Samet and was sitting beside 3 white fellows who were constantly talking. I could hardly understand a word they were saying and I was trying to figure out what nationality they were. It wasn't until just before docking that they told me they were from London, England. That is where my Canadian sister lives and even she's picked up a British accent.

No, I just hadn't heard a Cockney accent before.

...Thai language drops many of the conjunctions we use and the use of adjectives is rare as well. So, "where you go?" instead of "where are you going" is technically correct when dropping the "are" and "ing" Then responding to a "Can you do ___" kind of question with a "Cannot do" is (technically) grammatically correct.

Maybe you meant "conjugation" rather than "conjunction." There are no adjectives or conjunctions in your example. "Are" in "Where are you going" is a copula -- a copular verb (not to be confused with the "are" in "There are fish in the lake," which has an existential meaning). "Going" is the present participle form of the verb "to go," indicating progressive/continuous aspect in this case (some people use "present participle" to refer to gerunds as well).

OK, sorry. Carry on ... wai.gif

Mutt and Jeff wai.gif

(shouting - because apparently that makes it even easier to understand a foreign language):

'don't worry mutt. Here not have many seven, so ....'

My wife's been here almost twenty years, speaks english like an Aussie and yet still has people she has known for most of those years shout at her in baby talk. She finds it annoying and so do I.

What I find more annoying is that, when behind the counter of my restaurant, they somtimes speak to me like that as well! I've even had phone order customers spell out the names of dishes on the menu then ask me if I understand.

Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves are Asians who speak English with a British or Aussie accent.

As far as people spelling things out to you, I can totally understand that. Out of all my worldly travels, the biggest communication barriers I have faced, have been in Singapore and Australia. That British Singaporean accent is soooo difficult to understand. And alot of times in Australia, I really question if we are even speaking the same language or not.

So yeah, as some one who speaks normal/ mostly un-accented English, I wouldn't hesitate to spell out orders over the phone to someone with a heavy Aussie accent that I was having trouble understanding.

More about normal/ original English here:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/29761/when-did-americans-lose-their-british-accents

-Mestizo

I don't speak with a very heavy Aussie accent and I find any other english speaker who deems it necessary to spell something out to me (simply because I answer the phone in a Thai restaurant) to be condascending.

My wife doesn't say 'mate' either.

So do you deliberately avoid Gowlee, Jin, Nippon, Kairks and Neegos, and only speak to white foreigners?

Or do you use a different terminology when speaking to those other racial groups?

Twist it any way you want, Tommo. You always seem to be up for an argument over nothing.

I agree w tommo, refer to people by nationality, not race

To do otherwise is moronic

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, I just hadn't heard a Cockney accent before.

Ahhh, how do you know it was one then ?

Interesting subject. I was wondering if the Thai's who are only spoken to in proper English what ever that is ever learn it.

Heck there are Ozzie's and Brit's who I am sure will tell you they speak proper English that I can't understand.

So which is correct English, tomato or tomato?

(shouting - because apparently that makes it even easier to understand a foreign language):

'don't worry mutt. Here not have many seven, so ....'

My wife's been here almost twenty years, speaks english like an Aussie and yet still has people she has known for most of those years shout at her in baby talk. She finds it annoying and so do I.

What I find more annoying is that, when behind the counter of my restaurant, they somtimes speak to me like that as well! I've even had phone order customers spell out the names of dishes on the menu then ask me if I understand.

Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves are Asians who speak English with a British or Aussie accent.

As far as people spelling things out to you, I can totally understand that. Out of all my worldly travels, the biggest communication barriers I have faced, have been in Singapore and Australia. That British Singaporean accent is soooo difficult to understand. And alot of times in Australia, I really question if we are even speaking the same language or not.

So yeah, as some one who speaks normal/ mostly un-accented English, I wouldn't hesitate to spell out orders over the phone to someone with a heavy Aussie accent that I was having trouble understanding.

More about normal/ original English here:

http://www.mentalflo...british-accents

-Mestizo

I don't speak with a very heavy Aussie accent and I find any other english speaker who deems it necessary to spell something out to me (simply because I answer the phone in a Thai restaurant) to be condascending.

My wife doesn't say 'mate' either.

I have a European male friend who spent years learning Thai seriously, to be ready to retire here.

He could give lectures about the history and development of the language, it's various roots, why it was rewritten, etc

He can read and write Thai very well and with quite some speed.

He can fully understand Thai newspaper headlines.

His listening and comprehension skills are very advanced.

But when he speaks Thai his very strong European accent makes it very difficult for Thais to understand what he says.

He's hot tempered and shows his anger on his face, and verbally, when Thais don't instantly understand what he says.

He refuses to attempt to speak more clearly.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1