Mosquito Bites. Is There A Cream...

rene123

IMO dont be afraid to pop the blisters, they are going to go pop anyway, so the more controlled the better.

Blisters??? blink.png

I've had my share of bites, but never had one blister or fester. Do you have some sort of allergy or hypersensitivity to mosquito bites?

IMO dont be afraid to pop the blisters, they are going to go pop anyway, so the more controlled the better.

Blisters??? blink.png

I've had my share of bites, but never had one blister or fester. Do you have some sort of allergy or hypersensitivity to mosquito bites?

Very much so, every bite turns into a red blister full of puss. I think I must be allergic.

There is also a green paste in a small round tin available in Thailand, smells alot like tiger balm and works a treat. I am sure if you ask at a 7-11 or a pharmacy they will know the stuff.

l believe what you may be thinking of is a very old zinc-based ointment called Zambuk - not sure whether there's a "c" in front of the "k".

My father, in the UK, used to swear by it in the '40/50's. I know it's still around, as I've seen it comparatively recently. It was the UK's answer or possibly forerunner of tiger balm.

Try checking with one of the chemist chains like Fascino, which is where I order any non-stocked medcines. They just look it up in their supplier's reference book and, even up here in Phetchabun, it's available within less than a week, depending purely on the day of the week ordered vs the day they get their next delivery.

Regards

R21

• 2 weeks later...

There's an interesting paragraph on Wiki about rugby vs Zambuk and how long it's been around.

Zam-buk (obsolete)Zam-buk, or zambuk, was a skin-dressing sold in chemists and used by ambulance-men and first aiders at rugby league matches on injured players from the 1900s.

In Australia and New Zealand the term was soon being used to refer to the ambulance-men and first aiders themselves. 

The term fell into disuse in the 1970s as ambulance-men and first aiders were replaced by club trainers and others.

R21

post-77561-13596005589028_thumb.jpg

If you spray listerine around the place where your sitting you will find they dont bother you... we use it a lot and have no bites anymore

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many thanks for the tip about Listerine.

We had my wife's birthday BBQ evening in the new Sala in our garden yesterday. With 5 of our farang friends and their partners round, was worried about mozzie problems so sprayed the floor, bench seats and table with Listerine, as you suggested.

Not bothered at all by any mozzies. It worked a treat. Many thanks for your great advice!

Cheers!

R21

• Like 1

If you spray listerine around the place where your sitting you will find they dont bother you... we use it a lot and have no bites anymore

Many thanks for the tip about Listerine.

We had my wife's birthday BBQ evening in the new Sala in our garden yesterday. With 5 of our farang friends and their partners round, was worried about mozzie problems so sprayed the floor, bench seats and table with Listerine, as you suggested.

Not bothered at all by any mozzies. It worked a treat. Many thanks for your great advice!

Cheers!

R21

glad to share good info......

• 11 months later...

Calamine lotion is widely available but full of alcohol and low level of calamine.

this is my last line of defense against a few ailments. small pink bottle from 7-11 but not in all stores. try eucalyptus oil too it kills a few types of affliction. thaiger balm also for some. just to round it out my kit also included pisces powder or its more recent equivalent banacin powder although these last ones are not insect relates uses. if one of these dont work then it probably a STD you are facing.

Edited by Big Pinkie

Those of us who have extreme urishiol sensitivity (which results in a nasty, itching, blistering rash which must not, under any circumstances, be scratched) use scaling hot water to relieve itching. The trick is to turn up the water heater high enough so that you won't actually burn your skin, but high enough to stimulate histamine release in your skin. You'll soon feel tremendous relief from your itchy affliction, no matter its cause. About 20-40 seconds of scalding water, your skin's supply of histamine will be depleted and you'll be itch-free for 6-8 hours.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/10/18/hot-water-for-itches/

After I do that, I apply triamcinolone acetonide liquid (brand name: Nasacort) to the itchy area and I sleep itch-free.

• 2 weeks later...

Hydrocortisone works great.

When a mosquito her in Bangkok bites me, it itches for about 20 min. I don't do anyting.

But there are other kind of bites, although I am not sure what insect it is, but its bites itch for up to 10 days and frequent scratching can lead to open wound and infections. In my case, these bites occur when I am on the beach in Kho Chang (and as of lately Kho Kood).

As Craigt3365 suggested, a hydrocortisone cream works wonders. I use Betnovate and apply it twice a day. The itch is gone almost immediately (OK, 1 hour).

• 2 months later...

My son has a slightly allergic reaction to mosquito bites. It is scary because they get the size of a half dollar at times. Big, red and angry. It's even more scary because I have recluses all over. We spray, found out it makes them more aggressive. So, now we just trap a female in a bowl she can't get out of and kill all the males that try to get in. So, when he swells up like that. It scares me big time. Make sure there isn't any lines stretching from the bite which is a bad sign. Also, make sure there isn't a bullseye pattern. If it is a typical bite that is infected, it shouldn't leave a scar unless you have scratched the mess out of it. I put Bactroban on my son. Yes, it is prescription, but any bacterial over the counter ointment should do. Cold compresses help with the itching. As well as Benedryl.