True Online Xdsl Or Cable?

differentbutsamesame

My building supports true's high speed cable (docsis) connection but is it really better than ADSL?

Their 50 mbit up / 5mbit down offer looks pretty good for just 2799 / month.

ADSL is working fine but if cable is better for international traffic and NS response times i will switch.

Anyone here who has used both products?

Edit:

I just read TRUE cable is "community" based. The more cable connections in the same building the slower the internet connection will be and in that case it's better to use ADSL. Is that correct?

Thanks

Edited by differentbutsamesame

I'm using both coax and optical at my two houses. Both are running rated at 50 Mbps. Both are comparable at this speed. If you want to go higher then fiber is the way to go.

If you want to compare to ADSL, for sure is noticeable.

The bottleneck I found is between my access point and notebook. After retuning my wifi, I manage to get about 42 mb on speed test.

How about the pingtimes? Any difference there?

It's depends on the time of day, but it's not much different from ADSL. I do know True do use different NOC for the fiber and some coax connections. Compared to my office optical line which consistently give me 20-30 ms domestically, the home service is slightly higher.

Much of the lag or jitter you series due to traffic shaping along the way.

Cable is much better. You get more bandwitdh for less or same buck. Cable can upload & download at the same time without a noticable speed drop, ADSL can not (unless you run some special software on pc).

Cable is more reliable, considering all phone cables float around everywhere.