GBP to THB Exchange Rate

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if my memory serves me correctly there were a few know it all financial wiz kids on here that tried to encourage us all to buy baht before it hit 35

The BOT was always going to step in here - it was only a matter of when

Next problem is this governments propensity for stupidity lies deceit incompetence and out and out corruption - it can't go on much longer - something's going to hit the fan sooner or later

It's a pity everyone of them can't be held to account for all the billions of baht they help to themselves

They've already said they want to crack down and further regulate landlords and private letting sector- pure genius when facing a major affordable housing shortage

Probably no more than increased penalties for non-declaration.
Lefty councils are already instituting minimum room size rules and maximum people per facility. Meaning most single / cheaper room should be left empty. Stupid in an expensive market place where people are trying to work and save money. Perfect example of dumb regulation based on concepts of human rights and issued from some ivory tower about how the lowers should be entitled to live; but they have no idea obviously because those wanting to rent a single room at close to half the price a double would say "<deleted> why I can't live where I want", "why make life more difficult for me?". It also servers to push rents up up the chain.
The only rules I am aware of (which caused a friend to sell his Victorian pile in the People's Republic of Hackney and hoover up lots of cash) is the one which requires the property to have fire doors and certificates and what-not in a multiple occupied property over a certain number.

if my memory serves me correctly there were a few know it all financial wiz kids on here that tried to encourage us all to buy baht before it hit 35

The BOT was always going to step in here - it was only a matter of when

Next problem is this governments propensity for stupidity lies deceit incompetence and out and out corruption - it can't go on much longer - something's going to hit the fan sooner or later

It's a pity everyone of them can't be held to account for all the billions of baht they help to themselves

If you think that the BOT had anything at all to do with the current fall in the vlaue of THB you need to think again, the rate cut wasn't even a factor.

That's OK. Its called taking a position. The criticism should be reserved for those who acted on the advice and then want to blame those who advised them. Always the blame game. The same situation applies today. Buy now at 46?

That's OK. Its called taking a position. The criticism should be reserved for those who acted on the advice and then want to blame those who advised them. Always the blame game. The same situation applies today. Buy now at 46?

47 actually

My position, wait at least until 50.

What do you think? C'mon commit yourself.

The bounce is the result of hot money moves due to the Bernanky waffle about tapering QE. All EM currencies have weakened. Nothing to do with the BoT "stepping in". The fundamentals for a weaker western currency trajectory remain. I always said a small bounce could be coming back to 45 or so and it should be made the most of. I took a major move at just over 45. I'd advise anyone to make the most of this bounce and act now before the hot money comes back realising nothing actually changed and the printing will continue.

I'm happy with the change at 45. I've made a smaller move this week. I don't think the exchange will get anywhere close to breaking 50. But up to everyone to make their own choices; we are just airing views here not proclaiming clear voiancy! I'm always interested to hear others views and reasoning. So who is holding out for 50 then?

Chock dee

• Like 1

I'm with mccw on this.

As for wanting/seeing 35, let's keep it all in context shall we. My position for the past six years or so has been that GBP/THB would end up close to 35, +/-10% were the words I used to descibe things and I haven't moved away from that position. I have to say though, 65 calling 35 is a damn sight tougher to call than 47 calling 50. thumbsup.gifwink.png

EDIT:

Also, anyone have cast irons and prepared to call a timeframe or are these guestimates simply open ended that expires when the poster does?

Edited by chiang mai

I'm with mccw on this.

As for wanting/seeing 35, let's keep it all in context shall we. My position for the past six years or so has been that GBP/THB would end up close to 35, +/-10% were the words I used to descibe things and I haven't moved away from that position. I have to say though, 65 calling 35 is a damn sight tougher to call than 47 calling 50. thumbsup.gifwink.png

So at what exchange rate would you admit to being totally wrong?

Do we have to wait for 65 again?

Or would you like to take this opportunity to shout 'buy gold!'

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I've done at 50, mccw has just gone at 45, Chiang Mai reckoned 35 (555),

I think we are just waiting on Naam and Yoshi to step up.

(I'm predicting Naam will say nothing as usual)

give me one valid reason why a layman like me should interfere with a bunch of learned eggsburts who are already busy covering the topic of a currency which interests me as much as the exchange rate cowrie shells vs. shrinkheads in the highlands of Papua New Guinea? huh.png

• Like 1

give me one valid reason why a layman like me should interfere with a bunch of learned eggsburts who are already busy covering the topic of a currency which interests me as much as the exchange rate cowrie shells vs. shrinkheads in the highlands of Papua New Guinea? huh.png

Fun, entertainment, self ridicule, massochism, I'm sure there are other reasons.

• Like 1

The bounce is the result of hot money moves due to the Bernanky waffle about tapering QE. All EM currencies have weakened. Nothing to do with the BoT "stepping in". The fundamentals for a weaker western currency trajectory remain. I always said a small bounce could be coming back to 45 or so and it should be made the most of. I took a major move at just over 45. I'd advise anyone to make the most of this bounce and act now before the hot money comes back realising nothing actually changed and the printing will continue.

I'm happy with the change at 45. I've made a smaller move this week. I don't think the exchange will get anywhere close to breaking 50. But up to everyone to make their own choices; we are just airing views here not proclaiming clear voiancy! I'm always interested to hear others views and reasoning. So who is holding out for 50 then?

Chock dee

Much of this is not the baht weakening but the pound strengthening.

There is increasing evidence (house prices, PMI data) that show the UK economy is starting to move along nicely and as such the BoE wont be getting involved for the foreseeable future. Indeed there are also various (well thought of) economists predicting the Eurozone is improving slightly. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100024754/a-coming-boom-in-the-eurozone-periphery-technical/

Put simply there is a valid train of thought, and mine, that Western currencies wont just slide into oblivion as we descend into becoming 3rd world countries ruled by Asia (as some insist here) Due to a background of democracy, stable government, lack of corruption etc they have the ability to adjust and rebound. This is in stark contrast to a certain country where the government spends billions on buying votes with subsidies and is riddled with corruption.

The rise of Asia doesnt have to be at the Wests expense, and this applies to currency also.

One reason,

It's a bit of fun.

I'm with mccw on this.

Over what timeframe?

I never was into gold.

If you would like me to admit I was totally wrong and that makes you happy I will be most pleased to do so, there, happy now?

But hey, calling 50 when at 47, you like to live dangerously I can tell, I bow to your expertise and risk taking! laugh.png

I'm with mccw on this.

Over what timeframe?

I never was into gold.

If you would like me to admit I was totally wrong and that makes you happy I will be most pleased to do so, there, happy now?

But hey, calling 50 when at 47, you like to live dangerously I can tell, I bow to your expertise and risk taking! laugh.png

I actually think it will reach 70 again, shortly after the big event.

But for those who aren't risk takers, would wait for 50 to change money.

(Waiting for 45 to the $$$ to change any big money, just running expenses if that doesn't happen)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Ooooo, we really are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

But more seriously:

There's a question over how self reliant the Thai economy can be after all the foriegn investment funds are withdrawn, I suppose there must be a question also over whether they will be withdrawn at all or whether the majority will remain. As a complete and utter novice at all of this it seems to me that trying to guess/calculate where things might be in say twelve months time involves so many factors that it would be easier to guess when the next asteroid will hit earth.

Edited by chiang mai

One reason,

It's a bit of fun.

in my view as much fun as throwing small gravel stones at passing little old ladies. discussing exchange rates in Thaivisa is utterly boring. when there is a lengthy period of appreciation one hears a bunch of participants shouting with delight "today x, now soon y and later on z! we is gonna be ritchier soon" and when the opposite happens another chorus of participants shouts "the sky is falling. you ain't seen nuttin yet. hope you haven't burned your bridges. Redneckville, Alabama or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Wales is much cheaper than Pattaya!"

coffee1.gif

One reason,

It's a bit of fun.

in my view as much fun as throwing small gravel stones at passing little old ladies. discussing exchange rates in Thaivisa is utterly boring. when there is a lengthy period of appreciation one hears a bunch of participants shouting with delight "today x, now soon y and later on z! we is gonna be ritchier soon" and when the opposite happens another chorus of participants shouts "the sky is falling. you ain't seen nuttin yet. hope you haven't burned your bridges. Redneckville, Alabama or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Wales is much cheaper than Pattaya!"

coffee1.gif

Throwing small gravel stones at passing little old ladies, now you're talking, why didn't I think of that, I'm off to find some gravel. biggrin.png

Chock dee

Much of this is not the baht weakening but the pound strengthening.

There is increasing evidence (house prices, PMI data) that show the UK economy is starting to move along nicely and as such the BoE wont be getting involved for the foreseeable future. Indeed there are also various (well thought of) economists predicting the Eurozone is improving slightly. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100024754/a-coming-boom-in-the-eurozone-periphery-technical/

Put simply there is a valid train of thought, and mine, that Western currencies wont just slide into oblivion as we descend into becoming 3rd world countries ruled by Asia (as some insist here) Due to a background of democracy, stable government, lack of corruption etc they have the ability to adjust and rebound. This is in stark contrast to a certain country where the government spends billions on buying votes with subsidies and is riddled with corruption.

The rise of Asia doesnt have to be at the Wests expense, and this applies to currency also.

Western countries may not be completely collapsing but they are still buying their own bonds at record levels to finance gaping deficits with no end in sight. A % or two of growth can not close the trade gap; So I'm still long term expecting weaker western currency. I would not be surprised to see 35-40 to the £ within the next 5years.

Crossing fingers this rebound keeps going until I've freed more cash to transfer at 50 :) but if the rate is 47 I wouldn't be holding out for more. Unless a new range had been set fluctuating around either side of 50 by then, but as it is now we are at a peak busting out of a lower set. See what happens; I'm flexible and happy to change mind in face of new evidence. I see what your saying about improving economies but I just think the printing to meet welfare, benefits and pensions comittments is a longer term more powerful force than a bit of speculative cash inflow. Labour will not deal with it, more likely make it worse; conservatives are trying but liberals holding them back, but even so all reforms are just slowing the expansion of rot and not really getting to the root of any of it.

• Like 1

I will contribute by saying next to nothing.... I am not going to predict. It is more about what one does when the rate hits a particular figure. Still just changing spending money.

Yes, discussing exchange rates on ThaiVisa is "utterly boring" as if most members don't have a lot at stake in it. Boring? Boring?

How then did the thread get to 27 pages and counting if people are so "bored?"

I HATE the holier than thou attitude which is backed by absolutely nothing real to say.

Naam, if you're so <deleted> smart that you have all the answers and others are "boring," why don't you give a good analysis based on your "superior knowledge" for the benefit of the expats who really want to know?

The reason you never really say anything is because you don't know anything. It's easy to sit back and make wisecracks and maintain an air of superiority.

So tell us what is going to happen now that Thailand is most likely going to take another credit rating hit, and China's economy is in decline? Are investors already pulling money out of Thailand, therefore exchanging baht for other currencies, driving the SET and the value of the baht down, or is it a temporary anomaly? Will the world wake up to what's really going on in Thailand and rush out of it, or is nothing going on in Thailand?

What about China's decline? Will that affect Thailand and the baht? Why hasn't China's stock index gone up any in the past year if it is the darling of the world?

Tell us what's happening, Naam.

• Like 2

China 7+ % Thailand 5% +

Not exactly in decline neversure.

Thai debt to GDP in the 40s while UK & US approaching the 90 to 100+

Asia still looks a picture of health in comparison.

Thai borrowing money to be repaid while UK US is buying thier own bonds / printing.

Thailand make up whatever numbers they feel like saying.. look at the rice pledging scheme.. over 250 billion loss and more this year after the harvest and moody threat to downgrade them its all going pear shaped over here..

• Like 1

Thailand make up whatever numbers they feel like saying.. look at the rice pledging scheme.. over 250 billion loss and more this year after the harvest and moody threat to downgrade them its all going pear shaped over here..

yeah possibly but where is the difference to the west and US? The answer is - why not.

• Like 1