Farm Photos

shaggy1969

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are dangerous, and can turn, years ago in Bangkok as a drunk tourist I was feeding an elephant then I turned around as a passing fruit vendor rolled his trolley along, thinking that's exactly what I wanted, I ordered Pineapple, vendor opened the Perspex top and next thing I know the elephant has grabbed half the fruit in one swoop!

I happily paid for it as it was very funny.

They are dangerous, and can turn, years ago in Bangkok as a drunk tourist I was feeding an elephant then I turned around as a passing fruit vendor rolled his trolley along, thinking that's exactly what I wanted, I ordered Pineapple, vendor opened the Perspex top and next thing I know the elephant has grabbed half the fruit in one swoop!

Yep. not like a dog you can scare away. my kids and as usual when you have a elephant in the Soi all the village kids following, plus women.

Big bastard ate 3 big, what ever you call banana clumps in a minute.

Everyone was laughing, probably the elephant as well.

Lesson learned, hang your bananas at the back of the house to ripen. Jim

Yep. not like a dog you can scare away. my kids and as usual when you have a elephant in the Soi all the village kids following, plus women.

Big bastard ate 3 big, what ever you call banana clumps in a minute.

Everyone was laughing, probably the elephant as well.

Lesson learned, hang your bananas at the back of the house to ripen. Jim

I learned never, ever to show any sign of hostility to elephants. They will remember and are able to hold that grudge for years.

Since you are living around elephants maybe you knew this already?smile.png

attachicon.gif1361789676298.jpgattachicon.gif1361789717095.jpg this is mrs aussieruss all thai garden in oz all the thai girls come to visit i dont no why rgds mrs aussieruss PS some items growen by scoop1

That lawnmower looks very lonely ... laugh.png

That lawn mower doesn't like qualified for the task at hand..biggrin.png

I think Mrs aussieruss would put a nice dent in Mr aussierussies head with the lawnmower if he went near her garden with it !!!

attachicon.gif1361789676298.jpgattachicon.gif1361789717095.jpg this is mrs aussieruss all thai garden in oz all the thai girls come to visit i dont no why rgds mrs aussieruss PS some items growen by scoop1

That lawnmower looks very lonely ... laugh.png

That lawn mower doesn't like qualified for the task at hand..biggrin.png

I think Mrs aussieruss would put a nice dent in Mr aussierussies head with the lawnmower if he went near her garden with it !!!

Nice 1, Shaggy, now await his reply....

hi all Ihave given up going out the back.as for mowing well i cant so more time for drinking.not a bad trade off .but will do something when it starts coming in the back door.may be some round up PS we live 1km from the ocean andevery thing goes baserk as you can see .the other good thing no expensive thai veggie bills. but the grog bills up rgds russell

hi all Ihave given up going out the back.as for mowing well i cant so more time for drinking.not a bad trade off .but will do something when it starts coming in the back door.may be some round up PS we live 1km from the ocean andevery thing goes baserk as you can see .the other good thing no expensive thai veggie bills. but the grog bills up rgds russell

Thanks for the reply Mr. Aussieruss.

My farm backyard.

I understand now my first shot has been over lighted after months of discussing with fellow posters here.

And i have learned a lot from them. For example in this POV i should have been able to set my ISO down.

post-70928-0-23093100-1361819498_thumb.j

This backyard is very properly organized and maintained ^ ^

I took the shot from their ingenious 'rising waterpit' after struggling to get on to it.

post-70928-0-20254200-1361819680_thumb.jpost-70928-0-29743800-1361819693_thumb.j

Do you see the pressure generated from this high water tower can be used to irrigate the entire backyard?

post-70928-0-02262500-1361819838_thumb.j

This simple but crafty and inventive tubing system has been installed by these clever Thai farmers.

We don't get elephnats at the door here, but elephants have featured in our local Chanthaburi news a lot lately, three separate areas. Been some good tv footage as they track/film the herds from above, using motorised paragliders.

South about 40km near the border with Trat a herd has been causing problems with farms, and a rubber tapper at Welu was found dead 3 weeks ago, understand he had been trying to scare them away. There were two deaths reported in Rayong province one November, one December, both rubber-tappers, elephants going wandering from Khao Cha Mao, Khao Wong national park. "Khao Samao district chief, Insree Kurdmanee,warned people to refrain from using fire crackers to scare off the elephants from their farms. This was the main cause of elephant-related fatalities in the area, because the elephants were spooked by the explosions and reacted aggressively."

Two herds (or are they gangs when they misbehave?) north/inland of us heading towards Rayong province, this picture from Thai newspaper yesterday 25 Feb 2013 of one herd at Khun Song in Khaeng Hang Meow, mentions they have been feasting on bananas, rambutan, longan, mangosteen, durian and other fruits. Party time!

Very destructive on this family's banana trees.

khaeng_zps092fd95d.jpgkhaeng2_zps3f461662.jpg

I had forgotten it was 6 months ago I wrote this

When my wife was a little girl there was a lovely nun, who was someone she could turn for comfort then when things got difficult, someone we all have in our lives.

The nun came from Laos, and still has a Laos passport. So when I first came to the village I was taken up the back of the temple, to a little shack, and proudly told by my wife “Whenever as a little girl I was naughty, or sad, or just wanted to be away, this is where I come, even now”

Out of the shack came a little wizened older lady, with a precarious white cloth buddhist robe wrapped around her, precarious as in tradition it covers one shoulder only, and for comfort it was pretty loose and I was often seeing more of the nun than I really wanted too.

Glancing up at me, given she’s about a metre tall I think, she gave me a big smile, giggled as if she knew I was seeing more than I should, rearranged “things” and started talking in rapid fire Laos.

And then began my own tradition, of visiting Dar’s Nun and my friendship with her.

We called her Dar’s nun, as in Bangkok for a few years when I first arrived I was given responsibility by the KMT who I is was consulting too, of a Buddhist nun from Taiwan who was living in Bangkok. We called her “John’s nun”, another lovely lady that was always getting lost and in difficulties as you can in Bangkok. She’d call me in Mandarin, which I only pretend to talk, hand the phone to a Thai person, who’d talk to a my wife, and “My Nun” would get out of what ever trouble she was in. She was very cool and dressed up like a Kung <deleted> fighter from a B grade Chinese movie, a pity she didn’t have subtitles, but great outfits! She also was about a meter tall.

Dar’s nun I would visit every time I came to the village, and I would bring the foods I knew she liked. For me she found quickly I loved the yellow passion fruit, and would always collect them for me as they grow wild in the forest around her home in the temple grounds.

Out of season, she’d often make deep fried banana’s, giving me large bags to take away.

Once we moved to live in the village, when ever friends came and visited, I always on my motorbike tours included visiting Dar’s nun as part of the “Village Tour”

If she ever knew I was going to Laos, she sometimes shows up just as we are leaving, difficult as it meant often re-arranging the seating order, but her constant smiling soul just made you happy to be near her, any inconvenience of the seating order, was forgotten instantly.

Besides, my daughter and son now loved her as much as the rest of us, and my daughter following in her mothers steps, sneaking away to her home in the forest behind the temple to visit either alone or with her friends weekly.

My mum was also a regular visitor, enjoying the way she would make her feel welcome,often asking her to stay with her.

My mum often said, “that’s where I should be, a simple peaceful life, bugger you kids and your problems” and laugh.

Because always you’d laugh when visiting her.

My mates – some of you guys here, have been with me, and it’s interesting, I know you all enjoyed seeing her and her home. Big tough beer guzzling blokes happily sitting down for a chat with this tiny giggling old lady who’d they’d melt around as if she was some 20 year old sexy girl. Silly buggers my mates.

Last year in a big storm a few large trees, we’re talking giant trees, fell down on the home, she was fine, home destroyed, so the village rallied around and she a beautiful new brick and wood home built, which she was very proud to show off.

My wife would still run off to her, often when we argue, as couples do, her ultimatum would be, “I go live with the nun and then I can never come back!” would make me laugh and we’d live on.

Sadly the nun hasn’t, a few days ago she died suddenly. We knew she had been ill. We’d taken to hospital many times, and she was due for a small stint to go into her heart, but it was diabetes that killed her in the end.

My heart goes out for my family, they have lost part of their soul,

Baan's Birthday party 06

God!!!! that must be back breaking work planting the rice like that.... When I visit my rice growing friends in Songkhla after paddling the field, an army of ladies appear out of the bushes (seemed that way, anyway biggrin.png ) and scatter the seed directly onto the mucky soil, then the paddies are slowly flooded! (over about two days)

That scattering part I don't seem to have pictures for anymore! w00t.gif

One day, I will as promised post pics of the process from paddling to harvest Songkhla style ! ! Rice harvesting machine et al!!!! wink.pngthumbsup.gif

Archived