Farm Photos

shaggy1969

I had forgotten it was 6 months ago I wrote this

When my wife was a little girl there was a lovely nun, who was someone she could turn for comfort then when things got difficult, someone we all have in our lives.

The nun came from Laos, and still has a Laos passport. So when I first came to the village I was taken up the back of the temple, to a little shack, and proudly told by my wife “Whenever as a little girl I was naughty, or sad, or just wanted to be away, this is where I come, even now”

Out of the shack came a little wizened older lady, with a precarious white cloth buddhist robe wrapped around her, precarious as in tradition it covers one shoulder only, and for comfort it was pretty loose and I was often seeing more of the nun than I really wanted too.

Glancing up at me, given she’s about a metre tall I think, she gave me a big smile, giggled as if she knew I was seeing more than I should, rearranged “things” and started talking in rapid fire Laos.

And then began my own tradition, of visiting Dar’s Nun and my friendship with her.

We called her Dar’s nun, as in Bangkok for a few years when I first arrived I was given responsibility by the KMT who I is was consulting too, of a Buddhist nun from Taiwan who was living in Bangkok. We called her “John’s nun”, another lovely lady that was always getting lost and in difficulties as you can in Bangkok. She’d call me in Mandarin, which I only pretend to talk, hand the phone to a Thai person, who’d talk to a my wife, and “My Nun” would get out of what ever trouble she was in. She was very cool and dressed up like a Kung <deleted> fighter from a B grade Chinese movie, a pity she didn’t have subtitles, but great outfits! She also was about a meter tall.

Dar’s nun I would visit every time I came to the village, and I would bring the foods I knew she liked. For me she found quickly I loved the yellow passion fruit, and would always collect them for me as they grow wild in the forest around her home in the temple grounds.

Out of season, she’d often make deep fried banana’s, giving me large bags to take away.

Once we moved to live in the village, when ever friends came and visited, I always on my motorbike tours included visiting Dar’s nun as part of the “Village Tour”

If she ever knew I was going to Laos, she sometimes shows up just as we are leaving, difficult as it meant often re-arranging the seating order, but her constant smiling soul just made you happy to be near her, any inconvenience of the seating order, was forgotten instantly.

Besides, my daughter and son now loved her as much as the rest of us, and my daughter following in her mothers steps, sneaking away to her home in the forest behind the temple to visit either alone or with her friends weekly.

My mum was also a regular visitor, enjoying the way she would make her feel welcome,often asking her to stay with her.

My mum often said, “that’s where I should be, a simple peaceful life, bugger you kids and your problems” and laugh.

Because always you’d laugh when visiting her.

My mates – some of you guys here, have been with me, and it’s interesting, I know you all enjoyed seeing her and her home. Big tough beer guzzling blokes happily sitting down for a chat with this tiny giggling old lady who’d they’d melt around as if she was some 20 year old sexy girl. Silly buggers my mates.

Last year in a big storm a few large trees, we’re talking giant trees, fell down on the home, she was fine, home destroyed, so the village rallied around and she a beautiful new brick and wood home built, which she was very proud to show off.

My wife would still run off to her, often when we argue, as couples do, her ultimatum would be, “I go live with the nun and then I can never come back!” would make me laugh and we’d live on.

Sadly the nun hasn’t, a few days ago she died suddenly. We knew she had been ill. We’d taken to hospital many times, and she was due for a small stint to go into her heart, but it was diabetes that killed her in the end.

My heart goes out for my family, they have lost part of their soul,

Very nice story and can understand what you mean about a simple life and a simple way.

We have jungle monks out here, live in the mountains, solitary life. Come down to the Wat for special Buddha occasions, nothing but skin and bone, no sandals, no nothing. Smiling and laughing all the time, they will be gone in a few years, no solitary young monks willing to live the life.

Think I have been blessed to meet such peaceful, happy, content beings, not only in the village, but in the jungle when we go up there.

Think they have changed how I perceive the world, without words over the years.

different man now than I was. Jim

Hi Jim,

It's a different life but changing, we still have older ladies who go around topless and bath in the dam's and water ways, very old style, water from the well is common,

But it is changing, I am glad I was here to see the old ways and document them,

We have some jungle monks, they are a good lot, and a few I have become close friends with,

We're lucky you and I to see this now,

• Like 1

I had forgotten it was 6 months ago I wrote this

When my wife was a little girl there was a lovely nun, who was someone she could turn for comfort then when things got difficult, someone we all have in our lives.

The nun came from Laos, and still has a Laos passport. So when I first came to the village I was taken up the back of the temple, to a little shack, and proudly told by my wife “Whenever as a little girl I was naughty, or sad, or just wanted to be away, this is where I come, even now”

Out of the shack came a little wizened older lady, with a precarious white cloth buddhist robe wrapped around her, precarious as in tradition it covers one shoulder only, and for comfort it was pretty loose and I was often seeing more of the nun than I really wanted too.

Glancing up at me, given she’s about a metre tall I think, she gave me a big smile, giggled as if she knew I was seeing more than I should, rearranged “things” and started talking in rapid fire Laos.

And then began my own tradition, of visiting Dar’s Nun and my friendship with her.

We called her Dar’s nun, as in Bangkok for a few years when I first arrived I was given responsibility by the KMT who I is was consulting too, of a Buddhist nun from Taiwan who was living in Bangkok. We called her “John’s nun”, another lovely lady that was always getting lost and in difficulties as you can in Bangkok. She’d call me in Mandarin, which I only pretend to talk, hand the phone to a Thai person, who’d talk to a my wife, and “My Nun” would get out of what ever trouble she was in. She was very cool and dressed up like a Kung <deleted> fighter from a B grade Chinese movie, a pity she didn’t have subtitles, but great outfits! She also was about a meter tall.

Dar’s nun I would visit every time I came to the village, and I would bring the foods I knew she liked. For me she found quickly I loved the yellow passion fruit, and would always collect them for me as they grow wild in the forest around her home in the temple grounds.

Out of season, she’d often make deep fried banana’s, giving me large bags to take away.

Once we moved to live in the village, when ever friends came and visited, I always on my motorbike tours included visiting Dar’s nun as part of the “Village Tour”

If she ever knew I was going to Laos, she sometimes shows up just as we are leaving, difficult as it meant often re-arranging the seating order, but her constant smiling soul just made you happy to be near her, any inconvenience of the seating order, was forgotten instantly.

Besides, my daughter and son now loved her as much as the rest of us, and my daughter following in her mothers steps, sneaking away to her home in the forest behind the temple to visit either alone or with her friends weekly.

My mum was also a regular visitor, enjoying the way she would make her feel welcome,often asking her to stay with her.

My mum often said, “that’s where I should be, a simple peaceful life, bugger you kids and your problems” and laugh.

Because always you’d laugh when visiting her.

My mates – some of you guys here, have been with me, and it’s interesting, I know you all enjoyed seeing her and her home. Big tough beer guzzling blokes happily sitting down for a chat with this tiny giggling old lady who’d they’d melt around as if she was some 20 year old sexy girl. Silly buggers my mates.

Last year in a big storm a few large trees, we’re talking giant trees, fell down on the home, she was fine, home destroyed, so the village rallied around and she a beautiful new brick and wood home built, which she was very proud to show off.

My wife would still run off to her, often when we argue, as couples do, her ultimatum would be, “I go live with the nun and then I can never come back!” would make me laugh and we’d live on.

Sadly the nun hasn’t, a few days ago she died suddenly. We knew she had been ill. We’d taken to hospital many times, and she was due for a small stint to go into her heart, but it was diabetes that killed her in the end.

My heart goes out for my family, they have lost part of their soul,

Very nice story and can understand what you mean about a simple life and a simple way.

We have jungle monks out here, live in the mountains, solitary life. Come down to the Wat for special Buddha occasions, nothing but skin and bone, no sandals, no nothing. Smiling and laughing all the time, they will be gone in a few years, no solitary young monks willing to live the life.

Think I have been blessed to meet such peaceful, happy, content beings, not only in the village, but in the jungle when we go up there.

Think they have changed how I perceive the world, without words over the years.

different man now than I was. Jim

Wonderful story CTO. It is stories about the real practising Buddhists that re-firms me about the how life can be lived. I sometimes get pretty disillusioned about Buddhism when i see how it is practised in the big Wats but when i come into contact with the forest monks and nuns like "Dars Nun" then i see the true face of Buddhism.

Thanks for the story.

• Like 1

Cutting rice, '05

Also i when posting i suggest you use the full editor in order to polish up your posts.. If you need help with that just ask..

For anyone who is interested this is a textbook example of how to post a Story/Photo post. I learned a lot from this 1 post.thumbsup.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/620212-the-hippie-trail/page-6#entry6150046

wai.gif Mr. Nasikamanwai.gif

Yours,

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Hi Dancealot, I have thousands of photo's, rather contribute to a thread and se what others through up as well,

I love the bug catchers, first time I arrived in the village, at night, say this huge 2m 6foot pole of UV light.

"What's that" I asked the wife

"Issan smorgasbord"

Does that tell me how to post full size pics?

Hi Dancealot, I have thousands of photo's, rather contribute to a thread and se what others through up as well,

I love the bug catchers, first time I arrived in the village, at night, say this huge 2m 6foot pole of UV light.

"What's that" I asked the wife

"Issan smorgasbord"

Does that tell me how to post full size pics?

In my village they use big butterfly nets to catch them flying light attracting bugs so they can eat them later..

Love that smorgasboaard termthumbsup.gif

And to your question: No it does not.

You can only post full size pics when you stored you pics online on Picasa for instance and redirect that link to your post on TV.

wai.gif

That's a lot of ducks on pic #5 Shaggy! Very nice to look at this pic.

Also enjoy viewing #6 the workers going on the job on the big truck while the ducks are doing their thingthumbsup.gif .

That's a special photo.smile.png

Edited by Dancealot

That's a lot of ducks on pic #5 Shaggy! Very nice to look at this pic.

Also enjoy viewing #6 the workers going on the job on the big truck while the ducks are doing their thingthumbsup.gif .

That's a special photo.smile.png

That was only a small percentage of them DAL,had over 600 a one point.

^ what plant is that?

I sprayed the shrubs in our front garden yesterday, two hibiscus had been populated with small furry/fluffy looking caterpillars about an inch long.

Don't know what, but not welcome

Have to keep a watchful eye, sometimes get the big green ones maybe 4 inches long, they can get through a lot of leaves in a day.

found a pic

DSCN6309_zpsd1e49a5e.jpg

Edited by cycloneJ

That picture you have cyclone j,is the type we seem to get here a lot at the moment.

And boy,do they get through some leaves.

Only particular leaves though.

Just had a look at only 2 of my plants and had 3 munching away!

Carefully removed them,(they like to cling on),and put them the other side of the wall.

I'm sure they'll be back.

I must find a spray to keep them away.

^ We bought four small flowering shrubs about a month back and I wonder if the eggs(?) were already on them from the garden centre.

Eat! they destroy.

I've introduced a 5 baht bounty on them, daughter checks each day.

Though I'll have to be careful - she might start bringing them in to our garden as a money-earner

"that'll be 50 baht please"

• Like 1