Farm Photos

shaggy1969

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold winter in '05 - Farm food and eating by the fire

Nice photos CTO.....the green balloon has got me beat,what is it's purpose?

Very perceptive observation there Shaggy. I am stumped as well! I gathered this much as there is water in the balloon so it can hold out longer on the pot.....

Are these Vietnamese Pot Bellied piggies? and what would they be worth per Kilo live? Anyone know for sure?

There was two, now four... they seem to come out of the blue! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I'm 99.99999% sure that they are Not Vietnamese Pot Bellied pigs,they look like Thai native pigs and mighty good eating......so maybe tomorrow there will be only threelicklips.gif !!!

A pot bellied pig is kinda a cross between a 1980's dart player,a hairy pig and a bulldog.....well in my warped imagination anyway blink.png

Are these Vietnamese Pot Bellied piggies? and what would they be worth per Kilo live? Anyone know for sure?

There was two, now four... they seem to come out of the blue! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I'm 99.99999% sure that they are Not Vietnamese Pot Bellied pigs,they look like Thai native pigs and mighty good eating......so maybe tomorrow there will be only threelicklips.gif !!!

A pot bellied pig is kinda a cross between a 1980's dart player,a hairy pig and a bulldog.....well in my warped imagination anyway blink.png

Hmmm, ..... what's interesting is that these little buggars, run around freely, but stay close to "home" where as the other piggies, previously posted are all penned in....

All I can get from the neighbours, is that these are "special pigs"..... Perhaps they can sell them as "free range" Mooo!!! biggrin.png ....

Their bellies sure hang down more, they are a little skittish to get close to, for a better shot!!! ..... That's why I wondering if they were VPBP!!!! wink.png

Thanks Shaggy! thumbsup.gif

Why wild pigs over domestic breeds of pigs ?

They are?

I've never thought of it.... I'm not a piggy expert....wink.pngbiggrin.png ... just thought these were a Thai type piggies...whistling.gif

They sell them to the locals.... they always leave the farm alive (oh the noise they make!) .... and the pork they eat themselves comes from Tesco! (as does the chicken)

Thai holidays are never a good time for the piggies! .... many seem to have gone lately, I guess because of Chinese New Year? whistling.gif

Ha ha ... IsaanAussie... be careful or I get Mr DAL after you!...cover your ._____ tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I wouldn't eat those pigs either. They look very wormy and unhealthy.

Why wild pigs over domestic breeds of pigs ?

They are?

I've never thought of it.... I'm not a piggy expert....wink.png biggrin.png ... just thought these were a Thai type piggies...whistling.gif

They sell them to the locals.... they always leave the farm alive (oh the noise they make!) .... and the pork they eat themselves comes from Tesco! (as does the chicken)

Thai holidays are never a good time for the piggies! .... many seem to have gone lately, I guess because of Chinese New Year? whistling.gif

Ha ha ... IsaanAussie... be careful or I get Mr DAL after you!...cover your ._____ tongue.png biggrin.png

I wouldn't eat those pigs either. They look very wormy and unhealthy.

Not sure what makes you think they are wormy or unhealthy, they look fine to me...

I see them just about every day and all the pigs are well feed and looked after... sometimes I think better than some poor Thais...

@ Samuijimmy.......I think that these pigs are the same as the ones that you photographed.

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpgattachicon.gif4.JPG

Native,Cross breed and Wild Pig

attachicon.gif5.jpgattachicon.gif6.jpgattachicon.gif7.jpg

attachicon.gif8.JPGattachicon.gif11.jpgattachicon.gif12.JPG

Different Strokes

attachicon.gif9.jpgattachicon.gif10.jpg

First lot and image 7 look about the same same!!! .... except yours penned in!!! Some of the crossed breed ones look interesting, especially the one with the Mohawk hair do!

On Koh Tan, which is a small island just off Samui's west coast, I've heard said that wild bore still run free! wink.png

Nice little pinkie piggies there Shaggy!

Rubber Trees on Samui!

Great photos Jimmy (as usual)

Those rubber trees have got a bit of a lean on,must be some serious wind on the Island.

I like the shot of the rollers. First time that I have seen them with motors,only ones I have seen were manually operated.

Thanks for the nice compliments guys!!! wub.png

As for the comment about what they used before plastic bags..... well, they used biodegradable banana leaves of course ! biggrin.pngwink.png

So no electric motors on rubber presses in the northern boonies whistling.gif ... tongue.png .... well there are some people on Samui who would say the electric never works here anyway! biggrin.pngwink.png

What is the crop there CycloneJ ?

Oh!!!! nearly forgot to answer about the leaning trees... they were fairly close to the sea, on SW corner of Samui, so I think probably caused by the prevailing winds...? . either that, or they are top heavy! wink.png .... They don't look that old...

What is the crop there CycloneJ ?

They are cut cassava canes in bundles of 30, which are stored then cut down to about 30-40cm lengths and replanted for the following crop.

Behind - 5yr eucalyptus

Ah that was what I thought they might be.... I used them in my garden as a quick fill in, when I first moved here, (fast growing!) but discovered the neighbours would just come and dig the roots with no regard for my "good plants" .... so took em out!

Archived