Farm Photos

shaggy1969

Nice mountain, land up the for farming also?

Mountain is out of bounds because it belongs to the temple,locals are still allowed up there to collect the seasonal pickings (mushrooms,fruits etc)

The surrounding area is good fertile land but in vast need of some rain,same as many places.

Nice mountain, land up the for farming also?

Mountain is out of bounds because it belongs to the temple,locals are still allowed up there to collect the seasonal pickings (mushrooms,fruits etc)

The surrounding area is good fertile land but in vast need of some rain,same as many places.

Songkran 07

CTO ... that, for me, is an amazing photo

post-104736-0-56911500-1362283799_thumb.

Can you give me the background/story please?

I was just looking at the same photo.

It looks similar to the fishing competition that happens annually in our village.

It is taken very seriously and cash prizes are given out for the biggest fish and also for the one who catches the most fish.

I have been learning to fish with a cast net myself and would love to take part one year.

Shaggy got it!

Most villages have these, usually around Song Kran or just before, the dam is a water source and fishing banned all year, it's pretty well respected and not a lot of poaching as there is elsewhere at times.

Then for one day it's ON!~

Wow! That's a pretty big spread there! I assume not cutting by hand? Now I understand why so much fertilizer!

In dryer seasons we don't transplant the rice, but just grow from seed to harvest,

Yeild is lower, but if there is a very dry season you get a yeild, where as if you transplant you may loose the whole crop.

Wow! That's a pretty big spread there! I assume not cutting by hand? Now I understand why so much fertilizer!

In dryer seasons we don't transplant the rice, but just grow from seed to harvest,

Yeild is lower, but if there is a very dry season you get a yeild, where as if you transplant you may loose the whole crop.

Thanks for explaining that CTO, I had wondered why they were doing the back breaking work of transplanting .... In Songlkha they sometimes can get 3 crops a year.... but yet to ever see them planting it by hand, not sure if they do or not....? The canal and ditch system down there is pretty good...

I think they told me last year they only had two crops. More and more farmers down there are switching to Palm oil production though, amazing the change in seeing that, in the last seven years or so...

Most of the farmers around my area get one crop of rice a year, a few beside large water areas get two, where as in Lad Lim Kow just north of bangkok they get 4 a year.

BUT

The "quality" I am told is very different between LLK and Sakon Nakorn rice,

We brought in Laos sticky rice about 5 years ago for planting, noticing Laos Sticky rice tasted better.

In our area those seeds are swapped and given around every year. Very popular crop variety.

• Like 1

Thanks Shaggy, I like to see farmer's lives as well, doing anything from weaving to fishing or just going to the temple, so would be good to see those photo's from others as well.