Building A Tower

culicine

I'd like to build a new computer that is suitable to run large games and other software. My previous tower (10 yrs old) has gone through as many incarnations, I feel like a change is in order. My budget would be 10-15K or so. Does anyone have recommendations for good processors/graphics cards/motherboards, number and size of fans, etc. I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I can get my BIL to build it, but would like an idea on hardware. Thanks in advance..

10-15K only?

That's rather tight to "run large games and other software". Any decent build will quickly over run that. Here's one that just barely meets your requirements (and doesn't include an OS).

Motherboard:

ASRock H61M/US3S 1750THB

Has the most current socket and PCI slots for you to migrate over any cards you want to. Problem is that it will not support Ivy Bridge and overclocking is essentially a no go (but for the budget you're not going to get a "K" processor anyways).

Processor:

The Intel Core i3-2120 3990THB

A decently clocked chip that is dual core and has hyperthreading; in games doesn't give up much of anything to a stock i5/i7.

RAM/memory:

G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1999THB

Yes, you could go with 1/2 the memory for 60% of the price...but why?

Video card:

MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 650TI 6300THB

Absolute minimum I'd recommend for gaming.

This of course leaves out hard drives (hope you have SATA), case, power supply, fans, etc. And this build is the bare minimum I can actually recommend for a 'gaming' system. I usually overbuild for productivity rather than gaming however; so the dual core chip would make me cringe.

Did you have any particular games or software in mind? The answer to those questions would mean people could give you a more accurate response because if you have an old computer now and you only want to keep playing some old games then you might not have to spend a lot. Without that detail then ballpark figure to play most current games on a budget at medium settings, 20-25k. Like Dave says, only 15k... up the spend if you can afford it.

As an aside, if you are in fact playing older games than perhaps an AMD 5800K would suffice? Has better performance than the previous recommendation in general use and much better in multithreaded apps (yes I know the link is to the two lower specced processors but the deltas should be the same). The big problem is that in the most recent games it will only be about 1/4 as fast as the 650TI at decent settings.

So a 4350THB AMD processor combined with a 2190THB Asrock FM2A75M motherboard, the same 1999THB memory from above means you're at 8539THB. On that budget I'd recommend going with an SSD; nothing else really provides the 'wow' factor in day to day operations as putting your OS on the drive. Of course Intel makes some excellent models and this 240GB one squeaks in on your budget.

Later on if the integrated graphics aren't cutting it, you can always drop a cheap card in the slot to get your gaming on.

Sure, you can keep throwing benchmarks at him, but what of an actual build in the constraints he has listed?

The non-A10 processors lack an IGP. And the FX processors requite a 990FX motherboard...so that's an added expense. Furthermore they don't necessarily outperform the A10-5800 in real world programmes. The cheapest Intel recommendation in your link requires a B(Q/Z)75 or H(Q/Z)77 motherboard as they are Ivy Bridge...and the associated added cost there.

**edit**

No "B77" but rather "H77".

Edited by dave_boo

Thanks for the responses. I can go higher than 15K, but as it's my son who will mainly use it, I'm trying to keep costs down. Son just loaded a game onto my laptop and it runs slow - that processor is only 1.6 but needs 2.0 as a minimum. I could rebuild the current tower and just add the essentials, but was thinking to go new. I thought 10-15K would be a minimum, as I see a lot of ready made towers at Zeers for much less than that - don't know about the quality of those components though.

I've seen Acer boxes for 10k but they wouldn't be good for gaming as they use lower quality integrated graphics. If your son has a particular game in mind then look on the internet and either the game developer or a dedicated forum will give you an idea of what video card and CPU is needed to actually play the game at a decent frame rate. When you know that you can better work out what you need to spend. You want to try for something better than the minimum required if possible. If buying new then get a motherboard and CPU you can easily overclock as a short cut to better performance on a budget.

I've seen Acer boxes for 10k but they wouldn't be good for gaming as they use lower quality integrated graphics. If your son has a particular game in mind then look on the internet and either the game developer or a dedicated forum will give you an idea of what video card and CPU is needed to actually play the game at a decent frame rate. When you know that you can better work out what you need to spend. You want to try for something better than the minimum required if possible. If buying new then get a motherboard and CPU you can easily overclock as a short cut to better performance on a budget.

Thanks, I'll do a bit more research into the requirements of the games he likes. Just wanted some info on locally available hardware - not too sure if stuff quoted from overseas websites will be available in the local shops here. Actually the graphics on the laptop we have is fine, but the processor is too slow, so the game he uses is running slowly.

A lot of stuff quoted from overseas websites will be available in the local shops here--or a close equivalent. And anything here is almost always available there so you can read its reviews on newegg.com and amazon.com.

a new FM2 ITX build will be more sufficient.

What kind of games? Surfing? movies?

As an aside, if you are in fact playing older games than perhaps an AMD 5800K would suffice? Has better performance than the previous recommendation in general use and much better in multithreaded apps (yes I know the link is to the two lower specced processors but the deltas should be the same). The big problem is that in the most recent games it will only be about 1/4 as fast as the 650TI at decent settings.

So a 4350THB AMD processor combined with a 2190THB Asrock FM2A75M motherboard, the same 1999THB memory from above means you're at 8539THB. On that budget I'd recommend going with an SSD; nothing else really provides the 'wow' factor in day to day operations as putting your OS on the drive. Of course Intel makes some excellent models and this 240GBone squeaks in on your budget.

Later on if the integrated graphics aren't cutting it, you can always drop a cheap card in the slot to get your gaming on.

Before u suggest anymore ASrock itx boards to any1 else.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1337304/asrock-fm2a75m-itx-motherboard-fire

AMD A8-3850 2.90GHz 3k

ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M 2.5k

8gb Ram 1.8k

PSU 1.6k

Case 2k

WD Caviar Green 2TB 3.2k

Has built in video to get you started. If you want a more powerful build let me know and i can design you an up to date config. Your HDD will most likely be old SATA 1 or 2 and should be updated to SATA 3

Sure, you can keep throwing benchmarks at him, but what of an actual build in the constraints he has listed?

I gave him a number of links to "actual build" configurations--by pros who happen to know what they're doing--that met his constraints.

The cheapest Intel recommendation in your link requires a B(Q/Z)75 or H(Q/Z)77 motherboard as they are Ivy Bridge...and the associated added cost there.

In fact, B500 or so cheaper than your "2190THB Asrock FM2A75M".

http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/7474/4/index.html

http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/10629/4/index.html

http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/7860/4/index.html

Whoops.

a new FM2 ITX build will be more sufficient.

What kind of games? Surfing? movies?

Before u suggest anymore ASrock itx boards to any1 else.

http://www.overclock...otherboard-fire

There's 3,46 million results for "Asus motherboard fire"

There's 1,98 million results for "Gigabyte motherboard fire"

There's 4,02 million results for "ECS motherboard fire"

There's 1,24 million results for "Tyan motherboard fire"

There's 1,30 million results for "Supermicro motherboard fire"

There's 2,67 million results for "Asrock motherboard fire"

It also helps to note that the board I recommend is a micro-ATX...just saying.

I gave him a number of links to "actual build" configurations--by pros who happen to know what they're doing--that met his constraints.

In fact, B500 or so cheaper than your "2190THB Asrock FM2A75M".

http://www.jib.co.th...74/4/index.html

http://www.jib.co.th...29/4/index.html

http://www.jib.co.th...60/4/index.html

Whoops.

The last link you provided and I replied to was strictly a "Best gaming CPU for the money". Not what I would call an "actual build". Nor would such advice jive with requirements as he set forth...remember it's not only going to be a gaming machine. From your PCMag and Tomshardware links; did you bother pricing out the components for Thailand? And those are the closest to the budget. Also the Pentium is pretty weak sauce. The APC link was so overbudget let's forget about it. The MaximumPC was also overbudget.

Whoops, check again...unless they're showing different prices for foreign visitors ALL those boards are more expensive. The MSI is 360THB more expensive, the Asrock is 500THB more, and the Gigabyte is 290 more...dyslexic moment?

The last link you provided and I replied to was strictly a "Best gaming CPU for the money". Not what I would call an "actual build".

But a list to be considered for alternative CPUs esp if he couldn't find one of the recommended build CPUs here. Phenoms are gettin' scarce, for example.

Very useful, that list, with some cogent points.

Nor would such advice jive with requirements as he set forth...remember it's not only going to be a gaming machine. From your PCMag and Tomshardware links; did you bother pricing out the components for Thailand? And those are the closest to the budget.

Oh, it definitely would jive because that hardware would easily handle the other requirement of running other software--and Thai prices can be roughly similar (see below). Or he could find the nearest equivalent according to final budget. A common process--it doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same, you see. He can't find an Antec PSU here, but he can find a Silverstone, Corsair, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, FSP etc about the same wattage & price. Let's give the man some credit.

Also the Pentium is pretty weak sauce. The APC link was so overbudget let's forget about it. The MaximumPC was also overbudget.

CPU, including the Pentium, w/ graphics card is better than CPU w/o a graphics card and that's what I'd build if I were the OP. As Tom's Hardware advises, buy the cheaper CPU and spend the extra on the card. Some CPUs are overclockable, too . . . .

The MaximumPC budget build includes a larger HD than needed and Windows Home Premium ($162 on Amazon) as well. Subtract those (OP indicated a hardware budget only) and it's w/i budget.

Whoops, check again...unless they're showing different prices for foreign visitors ALL those boards are more expensive. The MSI is 360THB more expensive, the Asrock is 500THB more, and the Gigabyte is 290 more...dyslexic moment?

Yep, never post after someone calling from the States has awakened you in the middle of the night. Point taken, but those are fairly trivial extra costs and besides some of the 1155 and AM3+ boards are still cheaper than B2190--I took the midrange w/ good reviews at newegg.com. For example, the Gigabye B75M-D3V is only B1960 (http://www.jib.co.th...59/4/index.html) ($69.99 USA) and for an FX the Asus M5A78L-M is only B1940 (http://www.jib.co.th...55/4/index.html) ($59.99 USA). Both boards are well-regarded, esp the Gigabyte.